ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #2,581 of 5,044
I love how the H40 scales to better cables
Not just cables. I bought sp2000 for my LX which is a brilliant pairing in itself. But man it scaled h40 to another level. Sp2k tuning is sort of U shape. And along with improving it technically, the magic it does to H40 treble is just amazing. I would have never thought that H40 can reproduce so much detail.

I loved the synergy so much that my usual source for when im going for a jog - V60 is staying at home and im dragging sp2000 with me each time.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,582 of 5,044
I have zero doubts about the mod. I have done something similar on lesser models but there are several reasons why I keep them in stock form. I love how the H40 scales to better cables firstly but more importantly even though I was given the H40 as a review sample a long time ago. I was given the unit so I can do comparisons with other earphones from the company as I am doing currently with the EST50 and the H40. If it was a unit I bought with my own money I would have no issue taking it apart or whatever I have to do to make it sound better but because these are technically not really mine from the get go I try to keep them and all in original form. This allows me to look back on reviews I have written in the past and also be able to see how the progression of manufacturers tunings and designs are advancing. It is a knowledge thing for me. It is pretty cool to see the advancements of premium driver integration on newer earphones and how that changes sound for example.

Plus to be honest if I wanted to listen to a higher end hybrid. I just reach for one of my higher end hybrids. One of the curses of constantly getting new items to review is that I am a one earphone guy. I can't be listening to the Tansio Mirai Sparks for example while I am trying to review the EST50 as that will skew my perception of exactly what the EST50s are doing. I try to really hone down just how good or bad a sound is at the given price level for the earphones relative to others in the similar price bracket. That is how I judge a phone.

One word of advice I was told was to listen to crap earphones more often so I can appreciate nicer sounding stuff. This actually happened. Not to say the KB EAR KS1 is poo. I actually enjoyed the $20 earphone I did a review for but listening to a much higher end earphone after just listening to those for several weeks was an revelation to me. It really made me appreciate the finer qualities of higher end earphones.

In any case I am glad folks are enjoying the H40 stock or modded ultimately they are the H40s. For me anyways I will keep the H40 stock. Can throw on the ISN SC4 and it is all good. Sounds amazing with that cable.

Wow, thanks for the thoughtful response! Appreciate your frankness too on the mod.

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,583 of 5,044
Power of suggestion. Guess what is an option on the EST50 sales page.
1625252162164.png

Stablized wood orange. Nice.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,584 of 5,044
Crap! I ordered Green but was notified they were out of stock so I opted for Blue. Did not know the stabilized wood option was being added. May have gone that route if I had known.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #2,585 of 5,044
The wood orange looks nice but probably I'd choose green.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,586 of 5,044
I finally got an order in for the H40 today! Its been on my list for a long time, any info on best tip to use or cable?
After these come I’ll settle for awhile and see what new stuff comes out. After I read Dsnuts review of the H40 I had to get it, it just takes me awhile!

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,587 of 5,044
Stablized wood orange. Nice.
Glad they eventually provide wood orange also. Just place my order.
Guess this will be my last purchase until next year

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,589 of 5,044
They sound a bit warm out of the box the bass is a bit bloated again out of the box. But my pair dont sound like that as it easily has 1K plus hours on it. In fact the bass has settled down so much that I wish I had a bit more bass now. Mesh mod improves clarity and detail and tightens the bass end. But most folks just use the H40 for what they are. I think they sound fine without the mod especially if you plan on getting an upgraded cable for them.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #2,591 of 5,044
They sound a bit warm out of the box the bass is a bit bloated again out of the box. But my pair dont sound like that as it easily has 1K plus hours on it. In fact the bass has settled down so much that I wish I had a bit more bass now. Mesh mod improves clarity and detail and tightens the bass end. But most folks just use the H40 for what they are. I think they sound fine without the mod especially if you plan on getting an upgraded cable for them.
This mesh mod is reversible to the original state ?

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #2,594 of 5,044
Are you listened the H40 more than 1000 hours ?

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #2,595 of 5,044
I took them to work and back every day for almost half a year listening to them during breaks and during work at times. I do a lot of my reviews at my work actually during lunch breaks. They got at least a good 200 hours of burn in before I started writing about them. They improve greatly after burn in and that was the sound I wrote about. They still sound awesome today.

I dont get to listen to them as much now a days as I am constantly doing reviews but I still reach for them on occasion. They sound great every time I hear them. I do have a nice cable on them the ISN SC4 which has been a great match for them so I just use them on the H40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back