ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
May 4, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,081 of 5,044
So I got a message from Penon this morning. Seems there is an issue with the 3.5mm single ended plug that might be causing sound to break up on the left side. Of course this is regarding the ISN S4 cable on the ISN D10. Try to plug in a bit deeper to relieve the problem. They told me they will test out batches to make sure this is not a problem moving forward. There doesn't seem to be any issues with balanced cables but only the single 3.5mm cables.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,082 of 5,044
Does putting tape over the vent holes improve isolation? Does it affect the sound adversely? Someone had previously said the H40 sounded more balanced.

May 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,083 of 5,044
Does putting tape over the vent holes improve isolation? Does it affect the sound adversely? Someone had previously said the H40 sounded more balanced.
Usually when you tape the vent, the bass increases in quantity but decreases in quality (it gets muddier). Dont know if there is any risk of damaging it though, I use micropore with my Tin Hifi P1 instead of regular tape as it allows some more breathing. No idea about isolation though, although isnt the H40 already quite good at isolation?

May 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,084 of 5,044
Usually when you tape the vent, the bass increases in quantity but decreases in quality (it gets muddier). Dont know if there is any risk of damaging it though, I use micropore with my Tin Hifi P1 instead of regular tape as it allows some more breathing. No idea about isolation though, although isnt the H40 already quite good at isolation?
I've read that it's 20 decibels. Been on the fence about the H40 for a while. Being able to use earphones for outdoor use is a factor. Is the isolation better or worse than BGVP DM7? DM7 seemed to have decent isolation, but the sound wasn't my cup of tea. Does the wind hit the vents and cause noise?

May 4, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,085 of 5,044
I've read that it's 20 decibels. Been on the fence about the H40 for a while. Being able to use earphones for outdoor use is a factor. Is the isolation better or worse than BGVP DM7? DM7 seemed to have decent isolation, but the sound wasn't my cup of tea. Does the wind hit the vents and cause noise?
no idea, as I dont have them.

May 5, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #1,087 of 5,044
Hi everyone. This unit came up on the HiBy R5 thread. Just looking for some input on the sound signature compared with other IEMs that I like.
My top 2 daily listens are the FLC8D (similar to 8S/8N) and the BLON 03 (with upgraded cables and extended tips). It seems that these would have a similar sound signature but more refined. Any thoughts? For reference, the other IEMs that I still own and use from time to time are the LZ-A2 (original version) and Carbo Tenore. Anything else you wold suggest I look at? Seems like a FIIO unit comes up a lot (FH7?). Thanks

May 5, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,089 of 5,044
Why is this such a difficult question to have answered?
I dont know, maybe has something with quarantine or that the ones that have the H40 dont have the DM7 to compare with....

May 5, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,090 of 5,044
@Pete7 or you know, just look for it in the reviews?

1588699431653.png

May 5, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,091 of 5,044
I don't see a word about wind noise from the vents in that snippet. And my question about isolation was more specific, how it compares to DM7. I have read the reviews, btw.

May 5, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,092 of 5,044
Havent had too much time in my part with the H40 outdoors and wind. If you plan on using them outdoors. H40 is not the best at isolation due to vents for the dynamic. An all BA based iem will be better for isolation. I prefer using my Tansio Mirai earphones on the go actually. It is due to them vents on the H40 that makes them have proper spacing and a punchy bass end but again Its got an average amount of isolation. About 22dbs of passive isolation vs Tansio Mirai 26 dbs. I would assume the BGVP earphones would be similar.

May 5, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,094 of 5,044
I don't see a word about wind noise from the vents in that snippet. And my question about isolation was more specific, how it compares to DM7. I have read the reviews, btw.
I don't have H40 or DM7, but i do have D10 and had DM6. DM6 has way better isolation. If that makes sense.
The vent being tiny and on the top of the iem means that wind won't be an issue with it.
Also agreed with that for D10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back