ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Dec 19, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #4,081 of 5,069
Fan 2 cable test:

Comparison of the S2 and Obsidian cables:

I was using the Sony WM1Z with MrWalkman’s firmware. Truly in a little way they are the same as far as personality. Yet after a while you start to realize that even though they are both copper cables the S3 silver adds a slight treble and midrange add. Where it’s offering a slightly fuller fleshed-out portion. Yet at the same time the Obsidian is offering only a slight tone down in the midrange and that lower midrange shows a softness and smoothness. But the kicker is the Obsidian has extra separation of soundstage elements. Meaning the signature is ever so slightly darker but seems to offer more room and distance inside for imaging to travel outwards and be better defined?

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #4,082 of 5,069

EST50 MONITORS & OS133 Penon adapter

THE COMPLETE PACKAGE

ISN EST50 & Penon OS133 audio adapter
An utterly atmospheric combo.....
Maybe my end game combo.....
Since yesterday having listened for the first time to EST50s using OS133 adapter everything has drastically changed.Nothing is the same anymore.....
Believe it or not i was more surprised than my last audition and post here regarding ISN H50...wich is a true ISN gem as well...
The main thing at this synergy that got enhanced right from the start was the depth of the stage (do not misunderstand me here.. EST50s have remarkable stage dimensions) Nevertheless since listening them on OS133 adapter every aspect of their allready big stage got improved even more, especially the depth resulting in an even better sense of separation and air between instruments , I could tell that easily from the start .....
Being at this hobby for about 7 years now ,those moments since yesterday will stay with me forever....
YOU HAVE TO HEAR IT TO BELIEVE IT 😃
My listening experience got enriched in numerous ways I could not even imagined before this....
It is a gorgeous synergy up to that point of being afraid to listen to EST50s alone....
Everything is freakingly adorable in this synergy..
The stereo image, the unbelievable depth of the scene, ,the resolution,the transients, the texture/timbre of the instruments,the sentimental approach of the recordings,the beyond description transparency and atmosphere being created.... EVERYTHING....
Nevertheless i can tell from that first listening session that EST50 is to me at least a MAJOR upgrade over the previous H40.
The instrument texture/timbre alone gets in a completely different level of superiority here with EST50
The separation/instrument placement in the stage gets to be the MAIN STAR OF THE SHOW...From the first song i could recognize that ....
As another headfier wrote in the past regarding H40 VS EST50.... ”with EST50 you can fly between the instruments” could not agree more with that statement and that's with straight out of the box listening...
me....in heavens now..........

(....5 hours later.....)
in case anyone wonders ......H40/H50/EST50....
which one suits me best ?
which one should i go for ???
Well...let me help you guys (always imho ...up to the point of my ability , experience and understanding..)

H40 is clearly for everyone here under a restricted budget and undoubtedly offers a unique hi-fi experience , a much valuable introduction to the traditional ISN House Sound.Bombastic bass presentation, thick weighty sound ,BUT..transparent midrange....a classic on its own..

H50 is a slight departure from the traditional ISN sound signature and tuning focusing more on the sub bass rather than the mid bass region obtaining this way a thunderous sub bass impact easily distinctive and simply captivating....a more linear/ audiofilish approach in terms of tuning tuned more towards brightness resulting in a more sparkling overall presentation ,the absolute dream of any treble head out there imo......wide holographic dimensional scene a gem of a monitor..

EST50s is the absolute package for me..
The holy grail of monitors dare i say better...
The EPITOME of atmospheric sound reproduction
based on an remarkable scene depth and exquisite instrument separation gives to the listener everything he can ask or think for in a monitor nowadays..
Each instrument comes out with weight, authority and superior definition as it actually happens in the real world,as it happens in a live stage...
EST50s could easily fit into the 1000$ territory no doubt about it..... and do not expect any other upgrade after getting this one ....i mean do not even bother with other hi end established companies in the audio market like Unique Melody for example and their products...
Believe me i own UM MEXT and EST50s are way better in any area in any part of the spectrum guys.....
(the stability of the sound at high pitched volumes / the coherence of the stage / the balance between transparency and correct note weight... etc..)
It's their flagship for a reason and i confirm that without any doubt
It deserves every penny and more than this......

(several days later....)
Been totally dazed BUT not confused.....and since the MEXT sounds really dull and veiled compared to the ISN KING ...........
I think I most probably have found my TOTL MONITOR guys.......
That's the stock cable, right?
I'm really triggered by this IEM.
I'm almost pulling it.
SO CLOSE!
Tomorrow I think I'll do: Stabilized Wood Orange.
It also does help (or doesn't, depending on the point of view lol) that Orange is my favorite color.
I wanna have a blast listening to Dubstep's RUMBLES like there is no tomorrow.
I plan to use it with my dongle to work out too.
DAMN.
Now I'm really committed. :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #4,083 of 5,069
Fan 2 comparisons between Obsidian and ISN S2 continued:

Well, if anything from my comparisons I found the S2 to not be too bright with the Fan 2. Because of the Fan 2’s inherent neutrality it can go ether way with a cable or DAP, and can show clarity of cable or DAP personality.

Dec 20, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #4,084 of 5,069
That's the stock cable, right?
I'm really triggered by this IEM.
I'm almost pulling it.
SO CLOSE!
Tomorrow I think I'll do: Stabilized Wood Orange.
It also does help (or doesn't, depending on the point of view lol) that Orange is my favorite color.
I wanna have a blast listening to Dubstep's RUMBLES like there is no tomorrow.
I plan to use it with my dongle to work out too.
DAMN.
Now I'm really committed. :)
Stock cable yes...
Fit wise..... those are very close to CIEM experience going deep and steady, so you won't face any issues during work out i suppose.......

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #4,086 of 5,069
Thanks for the suggestions. Cable OS133 was a good upgrade in sound and even comfort; I honestly found it a better experience than stock.

Dunu S&S tips are really a lifeline for this phone. The size S of these Dunu solved my fitting problem, valuable recommendation.
IMG_20221220_132316.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #4,087 of 5,069
Such a tough question. I was leaning towards the H50 when I reviewed it......obviously new, better....and all. But then something happened, I went and got the ISN SC4 cable. Such an invention changes the presentation going on with the ISN EST50. So where before the H50 has this pace and bounce that was the cat’s meow, this change to the EST50 was landmark.

Me being not as seasoned with cables (as others) to understand the affects they produce. I failed to instantly try the ISN SC4 and EST50 combo, I was sitting around one day and thought, what if? The other fact was I ended-up getting the ISN SC4 after my EST50 review. So I have not talked about such unions too much.1st off the SC4 cable steered the ISN EST50 in a bold new direction. What was a L shape response is tailored with subtle but real attenuation of bass frequencies. This alteration of balance then creates a window so that the treble shines through. Meaning with the SC4 really there are two concepts at work. One the treble is offered a silky forgiveness in tone enabling a style of wonderful detail while still being lush and “non-biting”. The enhancement came along in union with the bass becoming slightly less pronounced yet also wonderfully still there, only set back just a little. The actions then brought the mids of the ISN EST50 up as an added feature. So now both the H50 and ISN EST50 share a common appreciation in my collection. It’s a view that may not be of any help to your question, but it’s how I feel.

I wish I could recommend one over the other in regards to one being better at a certain style of music, but no, they are both well rounded performers. There is a price difference and that EST50 price is increased more with the purchase of the $99 aftermarket SC4 cable, and the reward you get is a finished and more lush treble. But different than some I actually really like BA treble and find it’s bite to be effective in getting a balance to the low-end, it’s just that ESTs in certain cases offer a (probably) more complex and refined treble? It may depend how much you value (personally) that enhanced treble experience. As we all know “tune” normally wins out over technicalities, and the top-end ESTs offer those added technicalities, but the H50 offers a different and equally good stance in the combo of mids and treble W signature? Where I really view them as equals. Though the warm luscious bass (house sound) is slightly more controlled with the H50, it’s still very much has a style of bass focus ISN is known for, the EST50 bass is slightly more of a softer less paced blanket, the SC4 adding a clearness to the EST50 bass which allows all the frequencies above the sub-bass to be viewed with added detail. Yet still that EST50 bass is slower and grandeur in response, like a big slower moving ship. And while many may view such a style of response as derogatory, there are folks who love that bass personality and brought to it...........holding it as the ultimate quality. It’s just that maybe the H50 offers a only slightly more brighter tone due to the midrange and treble, and while that boost IS in itself clarity, such clarity could be viewed as not holding the refinement and composure of the EST50 treble?
Man.
I'm so indecisive.
Reading this right now when I'm about to buy ISN EST50 lol
Basically, with ISN SC4 cable, which one has more rumbly, physical, sub-bass, with fast/slammy midbass, while retaining good enough mids (for the rare moment I listen to metal/other genres), AND so much clarity/extended highs?
Thanks in advance,
Gui

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #4,088 of 5,069
Man.
I'm so indecisive.
Reading this right now when I'm about to buy ISN EST50 lol
Basically, with ISN SC4 cable, which one has more rumbly, physical, sub-bass, with fast/slammy midbass, while retaining good enough mids (for the rare moment I listen to metal/other genres), AND so much clarity/extended highs?
Thanks in advance,
Gui

SC4 has some crystal copper mixed with pure silver in each share of the cable. It has more silver properties to its sound shaping make up more than copper. Which is a bit different vs something like the Penon Mix which is half shares silver and the other half copper.

What the ISN SC4 does for the EST50 specifically is that it enhances the detail aspect of its make up more so the treble and mids details and presence while tightening the bass end a bit. Enhances the EST50 to have the widest stage all the technical aspects of the EST50 are enhanced. This is comparing to its stock cable.

Its like going from a 1080P HDTV to a 4KQLED TV. Your getting the same picture but the definition gets an enhancement. Is that worth it on one of the most musical IEMs on the planet? Yes it is. However cables are the last thing you should look into. What is more important on the EST50 is that you get them, burn them in real good and try your best tips on them to start and if you do have other cables that are more transparent. I would try those as well.

Some may prefer that warm smooth fullness of the stock EST50 sound so it will be more a matter of preference but just know the EST50 scales to better cables like you wouldnt believe. My absolute favorite cable pairing is the ISN Solar. ISN flagship IEM deserves its flagship cable and there is a reson why these two matches up so well.

They were both designed at the same time. Just like how the Penon Volt and the Totem was designed at the same time. In otherwords ISN made the Solar to go with the EST50.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #4,091 of 5,069
SC4 has some crystal copper mixed with pure silver in each share of the cable. It has more silver properties to its sound shaping make up more than copper. Which is a bit different vs something like the Penon Mix which is half shares silver and the other half copper.

What the ISN SC4 does for the EST50 specifically is that it enhances the detail aspect of its make up more so the treble and mids details and presence while tightening the bass end a bit. Enhances the EST50 to have the widest stage all the technical aspects of the EST50 are enhanced. This is comparing to its stock cable.

Its like going from a 1080P HDTV to a 4KQLED TV. Your getting the same picture but the definition gets an enhancement. Is that worth it on one of the most musical IEMs on the planet? Yes it is. However cables are the last thing you should look into. What is more important on the EST50 is that you get them, burn them in real good and try your best tips on them to start and if you do have other cables that are more transparent. I would try those as well.

Some may prefer that warm smooth fullness of the stock EST50 sound so it will be more a matter of preference but just know the EST50 scales to better cables like you wouldnt believe. My absolute favorite cable pairing is the ISN Solar. ISN flagship IEM deserves its flagship cable and there is a reson why these two matches up so well.

They were both designed at the same time. Just like how the Penon Volt and the Totem was designed at the same time. In otherwords ISN made the Solar to go with the EST50.
I don't have other cables.
And limited eartips.
I'm coming from headphones.
Now I want portability and isolation.
Plus I want to listen while I work out.
Then, maybe the stock cable is good enough for now.
SC4 would be more expensive than my source: Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm.
Maybe Questyle M15 + EST50 + stock or cheap silver cable is better than Dawn + EST50 + SC4.
A lot to think about.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #4,092 of 5,069
beatrix kiddo was the real deal! I saw similar descriptions to the hakugei cables. For me, if I can own multiple headphones, a $400 cable doesn't seem so obscure. Especially within the realm of diminishing returns. I was leaning more towards the ag8 personally. baby steps. In regards to the est50, did you keep the mix or the ag8 @Dsnuts ?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #4,093 of 5,069
I don't have other cables.
And limites eartips.
I'm coming from headphones.
Now I want portability and isolation.
Plus I want to listen while I work out.
Then, maybe the stock cable is good enough for now.
SC4 would be more expensive than my source: Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm.
Maybe Questyle M15 + EST50 + stock or cheap silver cable is better than Dawn + EST50 + SC4.
A lot to think about.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Ya your fine just getting them first. Run them in with music for a good week at moderate listning volumes and have at it. Your gonna love that bass. EST50 has some tasty stuff when it comes to bass.

Though they are gonna be so immersive for you. Might destract you when your working out. Lol. To be honest no way would I use the EST50 for working out. Thats just a recipe for early death to an IEM. Sweat will kill an IEM before its time. Working out IEMs. Gotta get some cheap good sounding sets for that. Or a good TWS IEM that is IPX4 water resistence.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #4,094 of 5,069
Been going back and forth trying the H30 and FAN2, they are very similar. I do notice the FAN2 hitting harder and being more defined in the bass. While H30s bass being better extended giving nice sub bass rumble.

Mids are the same to my ears, maybe FAN 2 with dark male voices is a little more forward compared to H30. Both have what I call near perfect mids.

I notice better details in H30. Might be due to the treble spike in 5-7k. While the treble overall sound best on FAN 2 the tuning is more pleasing and none fatiguing.

H30 is more energetic while FAN 2 more relaxing, still this is not as smooth and relaxing as a Penon Serial.

Soundstage and imaging is very much the same, both have deep soundstage compared to most IEMs i have tried(not compared to headphones)

Comfort with FAN 2 is still an issue for me, its weird it should annoy me this much since the build is almost the same. I can only use FAN 2 for 30minutes max, while I can use H30 for hours.

Conclusion: Both are great IEMs and if I had no problem with FAN 2s comfort I would have probably kept that one. Value is hard when two IEMs is as close as this but I do think the price is well worth the extra when getting FAN 2 over H30. The design is also a very cool on FAN 2, it looks spectacular.

Both were tested with the OS133 cable in balanced with A90D and the DAP Hiby R3 Pro Saber
DSCF1748.jpgDSCF1637[1].jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #4,095 of 5,069

I have never heard the Solar. But this style of response is so very perfect, it’s exactly what should be written here! And it’s so true that some may totally enjoy the warm musicality of the stock set-up, never wanting the bigger soundstage or increased technicalities of the SC4. There is even the question of how warm or cold or neutral a person’s DAP is, the total effects are just that, the combo of everything, including ear-tips and source files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back