ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
May 22, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #5,056 of 5,153
Tried the Penon OG849 cable on the ISN Neo 3 and it was absolutely terrible. Flat soundstage, too much lower mids, details were smeared. Nothing good at all. Just not a good match at all.

Went back to my EA Ares X Cadmus 8W and it sounded like a $1k IEM again. Amazing what the right cable can do to the sound.
You mean OS849? Silver plated copper cable?

May 22, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #5,057 of 5,153
GS849. Updated my post.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #5,058 of 5,153
Where have you found luck with the OS849? I only say this as it was one of my favorites (of the 849 series) with the Volt, and only a slight second to the GS849? Really it was on par with the OCC849, though slightly more airy, less grounded.....but in a good way!
Updated my post.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #5,060 of 5,153
1716394466054.png

This is what's next for ISN. ISN H60.

So I got to hear these things. These are gonna surprise a lot of people. Not because it is one of the finest looking ISN IEMs, taking a bit of design cues from the old Volt all blue design, a bit darker looking in comparison. But even more so due to its sound. Will wait till I get my hands on the final version of this. I say final version due to ISN doing a few last minute changes. This is yet another intriguing ISN design to look out for. For now I can say folks that wanted a more uber H50.. These would be just that. In a simple word they sound utterly fantastic and I can safely say will be one of the most refined ISN IEMs to date. Will have much more to say when I get my ears on them soon enough.
This one is a looker and likely be my first ISN!

May 22, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #5,061 of 5,153
Tried the Penon GS849 cable on the ISN Neo 3 and it was absolutely terrible. Flat soundstage, too much lower mids, details were smeared. Nothing good at all. Just not a good match at all.

Went back to my EA Ares X Cadmus 8W and it sounded like a $1k IEM again. Amazing what the right cable can do to the sound.
First it was the OG849, then the OS849........so now it is the GS849? I know these names are slightly confusing but Jeez? Anyhow I have used the original OS849 in my TANGZU x HBB XuanNv review for a while..........it is a great cable for the TANGZU x HBB XuanNv. I also used the GS849 with great results. This TANGZU x HBB XuanNv review comes out today probably, and while the GS849 may be slightly better for the TANGZU x HBB XuanNv, really they are very close to the same in response?
DSC_0334.jpege.jpeg

DSC_0185.jpegxe.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #5,062 of 5,153
First it was the OG849, then the OS849........so now it is the GS849? I know these names are slightly confusing but Jeez?
Huh?? I wrote OG849 and then changed it within a few minutes to GS849. You just happened to post your reply in that short window.

Jeez.

Bottom line is that the GS849 doesn't sound good with the ISN Neo 3 nor the SR DTE900. And in particular, it sounds REALLY bad with the Neo 3. I'm glad you like it, but it hasn't work for me so far.

I think maybe Penon should come up with a few dozen more "xx849" cables to really clear things up.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #5,063 of 5,153
Huh?? I wrote OG849 and then changed it within a few minutes to GS849. You just happened to post your reply in that short window.

Jeez.

Bottom line is that the GS849 doesn't sound good with the ISN Neo 3 nor the SR DTE900. And in particular, it sounds REALLY bad with the Neo 3. I'm glad you like it, but it hasn't work for me so far.

I think maybe Penon should come up with a few dozen more "xx849" cables to really clear things up.
No never tried it with the Neo 3, what have you liked with the GS849?

May 23, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #5,064 of 5,153
No never tried it with the Neo 3, what have you liked with the GS849?
Nothing yet. I've only tried the DTE900 and Neo 3. I don't think my other IEMs would be suitable based on how the GS849 affects the sound to my ears. I get the impression that bright sounding IEMs with a very up-front presentation would benefit from it.

May 23, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #5,065 of 5,153
Nothing yet. I've only tried the DTE900 and Neo 3. I don't think my other IEMs would be suitable based on how the GS849 affects the sound to my ears. I get the impression that bright sounding IEMs with a very up-front presentation would benefit from it.
Well, in my complete 849 review just published I go and explore a few IEMs, but not that many as to confuse readers as there is at the front (of interest) 6 different cables. But one IEM that I understand and love is the past TOTL Penon Volt. Where starting with the OS which came out in early 2018 I was broadsided by enhanced stage and definition, compared to many cables. Also there was fun and detailed imaging.

Yet you have to understand the Volt is actually really well rounded allowing itself to be placed with a range of aftermarket cables. Really there is a lot to the Volt midrange which gets somehow even more of an energy expansion from the OS? I then moved to include the GS849 and it was everything the OS was with added itemization and a tad of gold density....and I really liked that. In fact the slightly extra vividness made it the favorite of the 4 849 cables that I was testing. Next the GD849 was the old ball, requiring a bright IEM to equalize and subdue. Then the new OCC849 which happens to be a little more grounded partially maybe due to the 68% solid copper plug? It was actually high in contrast plus a heavy lower midrange in direct contrast to both the OS and GS. Obviously the wire is altering the sound adding low end warmth and an enhanced treble, even expanded upper mids. The stage of this OCC is nothing to underestimate!

I mean the Volt made music from all four, but the GS849 was the best to my humble ears. The OCC totally worked and the OS was still held in high respect all these years later, probably due to increased (Volt) technicalities and zero produced color (in any one direction) in use? Still hard to believe these cables are all under $100.00?

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #5,066 of 5,153
I'm wondering if I could find another iem that's as comfortable fitting, affordable, and sounds as good as the EST50 does right now. I could purchase a better sounding iem but the shells tend to be bigger and more expensive. My Penon Impact fits just as good as the EST50, but I prefer EST50 for its more relaxed treble and fuller sound overall.

May 24, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #5,067 of 5,153
neo3.jpeg

Neo 3 with stock cable and with a silver plated is like two different iems. Hello highs! :)
Anyone know if stock is pure copper?

EDIT:
Found it, I think it's this one stock. But what's OCC?
ISN AUDIO C8 8 Strands 19 Core OCC IEM Cable

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #5,068 of 5,153
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back