ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3,886 of 5,046

So I got a new Penon cable on the ISN H30 called the Obsidian. Listening right now as I type using the Fiio BTR7. Yes these scale exceptionally well to upgraded cables.

I have no time to throw in earphones that are not any good. I own way too many IEMs for that nonsense.

1664557819961.png

So I got a new Penon cable on the ISN H30 called the Obsidian. Listening right now as I type using the Fiio BTR7. Yes these scale exceptionally well to upgraded cables.

I have no time to throw in earphones that are not any good. I own way too many IEMs for that nonsense.
But you always have time to throw a nice Penon cable 🙏

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,887 of 5,046
Dont matter what cable you throw on it. Just about anything will be an upgrade is my point. There is so much they can add to a $129 IEM.

Though I would stick with copper based cables if you find the tonality of the H30 to be a bit brighter.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #3,888 of 5,046
If it was past the pinna gain you have to room to worry but It doesnt meaning it is balanced with the upper mids. It is the ones that stick out above that point that will cause fatigue. That treble peak is what is mostly present for trebles but that is easily remedied with proper tips and a cable.

It does show a bit of splashiness for crash cymbals but nothing too crazy. You seem to be sensitive to that region. Try some foam tips and a copper cable see how that works out for you.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,889 of 5,046
But you always have time to throw a nice Penon cable 🙏
That could actually be the difference. I have my H30 on a Penon OS133 cable and find it well balanced with great tonality. On the stock cable it felt too bright with poor bass, just as you said. Strange that ISN would include a poor cable, but it really could be the source of our differing experiences.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #3,890 of 5,046
My H30 was in today's mail delivery. These are made for Rock. Listening to a bunch of RHCP. This track with
just acoustic guitar, e-bass and vocal sounds fantastic. Am using stock cable and supplied wide bore tips. SMSL D6 into SMSL HO100. The H30 seems to be a real bargain. Both male and female vocals sound clear to me and uncolored.

1664661939493.png

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,891 of 5,046
Hello girls & boys,

After two weeks of intense listening with my first pair of ISN IEMs, the EST50, I slowly but surely am able to draw some conclusion about these tribids. Without going into too much talk about tips and cable here, I can say I have found balance and happiness with a Satin Audio Hyperion 10x (SP-OCC Litz 2) cable and Symbio W Peel tips. I slightly EQed the EST50 via the Lotoo P6K and LPGT to fine-tune the signature. Nothing much to do anyway, just taming down the mid-bass a bit (-1.5db), aligning the mids (-1.0db) and slightly elevating the high registers (+0.8db/+1.2db).

The EST50 bring fun and technicalities under the same roof for a reasonable price. This is the kind of IEMs you can listen to for hours without fatigue. Time just flies with the EST50 into my ears. This is maybe the ultimate statement in relation with enjoyment and sound quality.

The refined yet fatty enough low-end serves as a fundament. Even if the EST50 don't have the last word when it comes to dynamics, they offer full and clear mids. Love well-recorded vocals tracks with these tribrids. The instruments have enough energy and textures to them, but this is maybe the segment where I would have welcomed more "drive" or grip. As an upper-mids/treble sensitive guy, I can only say "Bravo!" to ISN for having kept the high registers under control. Some will find the EST50 a bit dark or veiled, but it works for me big time. The EST50 give me goosebumps, most of the time unexpectedly. We all need goosebumps in our lives. EST50 = mission fulfilled.

Priced at USD 459.- on the Penon Audio Store, I decided to put the EST50 against two other IEMs I know very well, and which are favorites of mine. They propose their own special sauce, making them interesting and worth your consideration, depending on your taste and budget. We here have three different IEMs in their driver infrastructure, but two of them are not that far away in their signature.

Oriveti OV800 - 8BA (USD 999.-)
The OV800 are all about the mids, well almost. 4BA out of 8 are dedicated to this section and you immediately notice it. These are maybe the most textured and refined mids I came across in the portable audio world after the ones from Traillii. I had the Bird on loan this spring and they are the only IEMs that beat the OV800 in the mids. Even if one of the two available switches can lift the bass a bit, the OV800 remain a mid-centric set and the bass cannot deny its origin. The bass section is clean, tight and articulated with just the sufficient amount of "oompf". The EST50 has a hard time competing in the mids section, but "hadoken" the OV800 in the low-end. The high register is a matter of taste and preferences. Looking for great extension, airiness and lots of micro-details? OV800! Otherwise, yep, you've guessed it right, EST50. Ultimately, the EST50 is the best allrounder set. Mids are your dope? The OV800 unfortunately are underestimated and/or overlooked IEMs, especially with great sources like Lotoo LPGT or P6K.

Final A3000 - 1DD (USD 129.-)
These killed me out of the box (and after I immediately switched tips and cable). The soundstage is just amazing for a single DD and the tuning leaves nothing to be desired, provided you like a slight V-shaped signature. The A3000 are harder to drive than the EST50, but the single DD under the hard plastic hood have been tuned by professionals and it's noticeable. How does the A3000 compete vs. the EST50? The treble section of the A3000 is hotter, but not uncontrolled or sibilant. It actually is just right with the exact amount of information one needs to enjoy his/her music at a high level of playback. Here are the EST50 a tad more veiled, but the details are all there too. The bass section is somewhat similar, the EST50 having the edge in terms of textures. The A3000 hit hard and deep, but with less reverb. Both IEMs will please bass aficionados. The A3000 go for raw power, the EST50 take the concept of pounding pleasures to the next level. The mids section is what both have in common. You get this matter to them, this "weight", and both pass the goosebumps test with flying colors. The EST50 are more refined and more agile (damn I hate that word...), but the A3000 are so close in some ways that ISN fanboys might want to give them a listen. You know, just out of curiosity...

End words
Do you remember your car audio subwoofer with nostalgia, and you dream about getting a similar sensation in the portable audio world, yet with more refinement and the bass not bleeding that much into your beloved mids? You can cope with a realistic treble section without scarifying details retrieval? Do you need/want your mids to be meaty enough and do you accept to lose a hint of dynamism in the process? Then, the EST50 might be worth investigating.

Green = OV800 / Grey = A3000
IMG_3732[846].jpg

Jukebox -> giving context

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #3,893 of 5,046
This track on h30+yy upocc pure copper cable+kbear 07 tips , plus a warm source like ifi go bar. Wow 😎

I changed the filters to this because in the nozzle two armatures watching me who ready to shoot trough my eardrums :)
I dont know why they don't use tubes and dampers.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPS3EHw

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #3,894 of 5,046
Hello girls & boys,

After two weeks of intense listening with my first pair of ISN IEMs, the EST50, I slowly but surely am able to draw some conclusion about these tribids. Without going into too much talk about tips and cable here, I can say I have found balance and happiness with a Satin Audio Hyperion 10x (SP-OCC Litz 2) cable and Symbio W Peel tips. I slightly EQed the EST50 via the Lotoo P6K and LPGT to fine-tune the signature. Nothing much to do anyway, just taming down the mid-bass a bit (-1.5db), aligning the mids (-1.0db) and slightly elevating the high registers (+0.8db/+1.2db).

The EST50 bring fun and technicalities under the same roof for a reasonable price. This is the kind of IEMs you can listen to for hours without fatigue. Time just flies with the EST50 into my ears. This is maybe the ultimate statement in relation with enjoyment and sound quality.

The refined yet fatty enough low-end serves as a fundament. Even if the EST50 don't have the last word when it comes to dynamics, they offer full and clear mids. Love well-recorded vocals tracks with these tribrids. The instruments have enough energy and textures to them, but this is maybe the segment where I would have welcomed more "drive" or grip. As an upper-mids/treble sensitive guy, I can only say "Bravo!" to ISN for having kept the high registers under control. Some will find the EST50 a bit dark or veiled, but it works for me big time. The EST50 give me goosebumps, most of the time unexpectedly. We all need goosebumps in our lives. EST50 = mission fulfilled.

Priced at USD 459.- on the Penon Audio Store, I decided to put the EST50 against two other IEMs I know very well, and which are favorites of mine. They propose their own special sauce, making them interesting and worth your consideration, depending on your taste and budget. We here have three different IEMs in their driver infrastructure, but two of them are not that far away in their signature.

Oriveti OV800 - 8BA (USD 999.-)
The OV800 are all about the mids, well almost. 4BA out of 8 are dedicated to this section and you immediately notice it. These are maybe the most textured and refined mids I came across in the portable audio world after the ones from Traillii. I had the Bird on loan this spring and they are the only IEMs that beat the OV800 in the mids. Even if one of the two available switches can lift the bass a bit, the OV800 remain a mid-centric set and the bass cannot deny its origin. The bass section is clean, tight and articulated with just the sufficient amount of "oompf". The EST50 has a hard time competing in the mids section, but "hadoken" the OV800 in the low-end. The high register is a matter of taste and preferences. Looking for great extension, airiness and lots of micro-details? OV800! Otherwise, yep, you've guessed it right, EST50. Ultimately, the EST50 is the best allrounder set. Mids are your dope? The OV800 unfortunately are underestimated and/or overlooked IEMs, especially with great sources like Lotoo LPGT or P6K.

Final A3000 - 1DD (USD 129.-)
These killed me out of the box (and after I immediately switched tips and cable). The soundstage is just amazing for a single DD and the tuning leaves nothing to be desired, provided you like a slight V-shaped signature. The A3000 are harder to drive than the EST50, but the single DD under the hard plastic hood have been tuned by professionals and it's noticeable. How does the A3000 compete vs. the EST50? The treble section of the A3000 is hotter, but not uncontrolled or sibilant. It actually is just right with the exact amount of information one needs to enjoy his/her music at a high level of playback. Here are the EST50 a tad more veiled, but the details are all there too. The bass section is somewhat similar, the EST50 having the edge in terms of textures. The A3000 hit hard and deep, but with less reverb. Both IEMs will please bass aficionados. The A3000 go for raw power, the EST50 take the concept of pounding pleasures to the next level. The mids section is what both have in common. You get this matter to them, this "weight", and both pass the goosebumps test with flying colors. The EST50 are more refined and more agile (damn I hate that word...), but the A3000 are so close in some ways that ISN fanboys might want to give them a listen. You know, just out of curiosity...

End words
Do you remember your car audio subwoofer with nostalgia, and you dream about getting a similar sensation in the portable audio world, yet with more refinement and the bass not bleeding that much into your beloved mids? You can cope with a realistic treble section without scarifying details retrieval? Do you need/want your mids to be meaty enough and do you accept to lose a hint of dynamism in the process? Then, the EST50 might be worth investigating.

Green = OV800 / Grey = A3000

Jukebox -> giving context

Great review!
That version is the live rendition of the song. The studio version is maybe what you test IEMs with? Either way DCD is an incredible experience and the album Anastasis (44.1 kHz - 24 bit) I use with every single IEM I test. In fact it is normally the very first music I will hear, thus first impressions of every IEM! Really there are numerous songs on that album which go to showcase IEM abilities, though probably subjective why a person would ultimately relate with each song? Such a history of music with that band..........meaning at one point people thought the apex of DCD's output was 1981-1991, still this Anastasis ends one of my favorites besides "Within the Realm Of A Dying Sun".

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,895 of 5,046
This track on h30+yy upocc pure copper cable+kbear 07 tips , plus a warm source like ifi go bar. Wow 😎

HA, so you like them now! Congratulations!

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,896 of 5,046
HA, so you like them now! Congratulations!
I begin i think . For house music and indie dance the bass quantity and slam maybe not enough, the bass is a little bit pillowy and soft for my taste , but the clarity, the vocals and the timbre is superb for the price. The sharps highs tamed a bit after 24 hours of burn. Do you tried the est50 ?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #3,897 of 5,046
I begin i think . For house music and indie dance the bass quantity and slam maybe not enough, the bass is a little bit pillowy and soft for my taste , but the clarity, the vocals and the timbre is superb for the price. The sharps highs tamed a bit after 24 hours of burn. Do you tried the est50 ?
Yes, I have every ISN made, except the ISN Audio D02, the H30 is in the mail. Also besides the EST50, I would consider the ISN D10. Why? The D10 is a bass monster, though if active bass is not found in a track then it simply doesn't display it! Both the EST50 and the D10 would be considered bass emphasis IEMs. Really most of the ISN line concentrates on bass, at least there is emphasis, where the PENON line of IEMs is also centering on midrange and the bass. I mean, mostly (all) TOTL IEMs (EST50) are always going to be pretty much great.......it's what you pay for. Your dollar is paying for that greatness. There will of course by some subjective sound preferences catered to, as always some more than others. But there are ways to modify the signature (slightly) to bring the tone in-line with your wants and personal values. Probably the same (adjustments) (or close to it) as you are experiencing (now) with the H30?

The surprising thing is when a $149.00 IEM (D10) blows you away! Also it wasn't the bass response that I was most infatuated with, if you read the review.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-d10.24286/reviews#review-29043
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/reviews#review-28946
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h40.24083/reviews#review-28747
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-est50.25254/reviews#review-28717

https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-d10.html
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h50.html
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-h40.html
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-est50.html

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #3,898 of 5,046

Great review!
That version is the live rendition of the song. The studio version is maybe what you test IEMs with? Either way DCD is an incredible experience and the album Anastasis (44.1 kHz - 24 bit) I use with every single IEM I test.

Anastasis is also a favorite of mine. I have the CD (JP edition) and the Flac digital version you are using.

Children of the Sun, Return of the She-King and Opium are the tracks I play the most for testing IEMs.

I experienced Lisa Gerrard live in a concert back in 2019 and it was one of the best thing that happened to me in my musical journey.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #3,899 of 5,046
Anastasis is also a favorite of mine. I have the CD (JP edition) and the Flac digital version you are using.

Children of the Sun, Return of the She-King and Opium are the tracks I play the most for testing IEMs.

I experienced Lisa Gerrard live in a concert back in 2019 and it was one of the best thing that happened to me in my musical journey.
I learned about them incredibly late, in 1990, and I don't know why, as I was heavily into new age and new wave even heavily collecting records since 1982. But you know how it goes.........when you find a new/old band you go.......where have I been, to not know about these guys? In fact I had a second job working in a record store and Aion came out. I had never heard anything like it, and it was one of the first CDs I purchased. I avoided CDs for the longest time, but that album was/is great digitally! I have a UK import version CD of "Into the Labyrinth" first pressing, which is maybe better than the remastered stuff? I have the first vinyl pressing of Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, as well as the SACD and digital copy. I'm slowly warming-up to Dionysus? But there is something special about Lisa Gerrard, the way she comes in late on some records.........makes you wonder where she is........but they use that drama to make you want her voice even more! That must have been quite the show, congratulations!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #3,900 of 5,046
ABSOLUTELY BETTER
listen.. it's a bombastic presentation towards the lower end BUT as far as mids/highs goes it is a smooth as butter experience with very sweet and rich /full SONION quality vocals and EST alike informative and polished treble.
To be more precise here its the absolute opposite of an aggressive presentation. No edgy sound whatsoever, regardless of the file or the quality of the recordings. It's price is the one and only downside BUT upon you listen to them you ll understand our of the box what the price stands for......
I have to admit... the lush mids, lovely extension, & intoxicating lows (chef's kiss)!

Excellent iem in every way, price-to-performance is uncanny.

[All without any muddiness, veiled frequencies, peakiness, shoutiness, or aggressiveness throughout the FR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back