ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 26, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #3,856 of 5,044
I some reason can’t hold the Fearless Audio S6Rui and H50 being the same at all? Where the S6Rui IS bright and displays metallic sheen, the H50 is not really bright like that. In fact to me the H50 has some of the intensity of the Rui, but wins out being far more spacious in soundstage, better in rhythm and more lifelike in realism? So maybe it’s my hearing..........but I don’t hear it as that, where if you blend with a signature, it’s not bright, only detailed and interesting? I would never have to take a break from using the H50, where the Fearless is way too intense and makes playability limited to a short time? To me the H50 is 5X the monitor, over the Rui?

Never heard UM MEXT or Rose Technics BR5MKII.
Have you tried a pure copper cable on H50 ?
Curious to know how a pure copper cable effects on the sound signature of H50 ,,,,

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #3,857 of 5,044
Have you tried a pure copper cable on H50 ?
Curious to know how a pure copper cable effects on the sound signature of H50 ,,,,
I’m sure it would make it warmer, and different.........but only the MUC-M12SB1 “Kimber” MMCX is the solid copper cable I have, and no I haven’t tried that one. The reason I say I know is because of heavy response to amp personality change-outs.

If you read Dsnuts H50 review he actually goes into cables, as remember ISN is a cable builder 1st. In his review he explains that while the included S8 cable provided allows you to get an idea as to the ultimate potential the H50 contains, that further combinations of cables will bring up the quality of playback even more. Also he shows photographs and explains his cables rolls.

https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M12SB1/
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

I on the other hand did do some cable changes. I used the Sony MUC-M12NB1, but I know for sure I didn’t use the MUC-M12SB1. The MUC-M12SB1 is the (pure copper) Sony Kimber. And the reason I didn’t try it is it’s pretty much firmly attached to the XBA-Z5. The XBA-Z5 is notoriously known for not liking cable changes (due to MMCX issues) so there it sits. With the MUC-M12NB1 I don’t remember the changes? Probably not that great, as I didn’t remember it, or didn’t stay with it. If changes are uneventful, I don’t remember, and I don’t normally take notes. Also I’m not truly sure about the MUC-M12NB1 except that it’s both silver and copper.

I even switched the H50 to a 3.5mm cable to test performance, and it did great, being well rounded.

But often I find that amplifiers make more of a difference especially with “certain” IEMs. And I very much hold the H50 as that “certain” IEM. Meaning the Sony TA desktop made a profound difference in playback. It was actually uncanny how the H50 responded to show-off the lower midrange expansion that that amp is known for. And that TA combo used the S8 cable. Was the H50 darker is playback with the TA? Yes.

If I was interested in a copper cable, if I was hell-bent on making the H50 brighter or warmer or something else I would experiment further, except I’m fine with the S8 and consider it great for the H50. So my ways to alter the H50 are running it 4.4mm from the Sony TA, the WM1A or the WM1Z. I have also used the Shanling UA3 Dongle. And with those I do find many differences.

Strangely the Penon Globe is another IEM that I really like with the included cable with 4.4mm adaptation. I don’t know, so many other IEMs I like with alternate cables? I just like the balance and detail I get with the H50 included cable? I understand how people would want “more” with both the Globe and the H50, but somehow both sound totally correct with the included cables to me?

The way I look at cables is something like this....

1 high notes
10 low notes

So besides spacial rearranging they have potentials to alter the playback tone scale. Being 1-10. It could be a +3 in the treble are with a -4,-5,-6......and so on. So often playback is altered in a few places or in one small place, with maybe some spacial changes. The argument is if spacial changes are only the result of frequency “tone” changes? Does it matter if they are or not? They are changes anyway. Remember it’s all balances, so + or - 3 points in one direction changes the balance, if those +3 points were added treble possibly the lower section gets affected in perception. Some cables I have found only concentrate of a few bands of tone. Thus you have to agree with what the final characteristics are, and want them. It can be broad or focused changes. But what would it be if you just like the included cable? It means you accept every aspect that’s given with that cable and while listening don’t want any other changes.

With cables:
This ultimately means the sounds somewhere in the signal have personality changes, they somewhere or everywhere take on a new tone and presentation with-in the rest, in relation to the rest of the response. Such personality changes mean that instruments/vocals take on either a glow or sheen or are brought into warmth or relief. But besides that, the shape and placement of the instruments/vocals will be affected. The actual personality of the tone. These tone changes can be looked at as color within the actual instrument/vocals. Color and size/shape difference, cable to cable. But beyond that they take on an actual object shape and surface (texture) personality. Where the sound objects have a distinctive way about them.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #3,858 of 5,044
I’m sure it would make it warmer, and different.........but only the MUC-M12SB1 “Kimber” MMCX is the solid copper cable I have, and no I haven’t tried that one. The reason I say I know is because of heavy response to amp personality change-outs.

If you read Dsnuts H50 review he actually goes into cables, as remember ISN is a cable builder 1st. In his review he explains that while the included S8 cable provided allows you to get an idea as to the ultimate potential the H50 contains, that further combinations of cables will bring up the quality of playback even more. Also he shows photographs and explains his cables rolls.

https://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M12SB1/
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12nb1

I on the other hand did do some cable changes. I used the Sony MUC-M12NB1, but I know for sure I didn’t use the MUC-M12SB1. The MUC-M12SB1 is the (pure copper) Sony Kimber. And the reason I didn’t try it is it’s pretty much firmly attached to the XBA-Z5. The XBA-Z5 is notoriously known for not liking cable changes (due to MMCX issues) so there it sits. With the MUC-M12NB1 I don’t remember the changes? Probably not that great, as I didn’t remember it, or didn’t stay with it. If changes are uneventful, I don’t remember, and I don’t normally take notes. Also I’m not truly sure about the MUC-M12NB1 except that it’s both silver and copper.

I even switched the H50 to a 3.5mm cable to test performance, and it did great, being well rounded.

But often I find that amplifiers make more of a difference especially with “certain” IEMs. And I very much hold the H50 as that “certain” IEM. Meaning the Sony TA desktop made a profound difference in playback. It was actually uncanny how the H50 responded to show-off the lower midrange expansion that that amp is known for. And that TA combo used the S8 cable. Was the H50 darker is playback with the TA? Yes.

If I was interested in a copper cable, if I was hell-bent on making the H50 brighter or warmer or something else I would experiment further, except I’m fine with the S8 and consider it great for the H50. So my ways to alter the H50 are running it 4.4mm from the Sony TA, the WM1A or the WM1Z. I have also used the Shanling UA3 Dongle. And with those I do find many differences.

Strangely the Penon Globe is another IEM that I really like with the included cable with 4.4mm adaptation. I don’t know, so many other IEMs I like with alternate cables? I just like the balance and detail I get with the H50 included cable? I understand how people would want “more” with both the Globe and the H50, but somehow both sound totally correct with the included cables to me?

The way I look at cables is something like this....

1 high notes
10 low notes

So besides spacial rearranging they have potentials to alter the playback tone scale. Being 1-10. It could be a +3 in the treble are with a -4,-5,-6......and so on. So often playback is altered in a few places or in one small place, with maybe some spacial changes. The argument is if spacial changes are only the result of frequency “tone” changes? Does it matter if they are or not? They are changes anyway. Remember it’s all balances, so + or - 3 points in one direction changes the balance, if those +3 points were added treble possibly the lower section gets affected in perception. Some cables I have found only concentrate of a few bands of tone. Thus you have to agree with what the final characteristics are, and want them. It can be broad or focused changes. But what would it be if you just like the included cable? It means you accept every aspect that’s given with that cable and while listening don’t want any other changes.

With cables:
This ultimately means the sounds somewhere in the signal have personality changes, they somewhere or everywhere take on a new tone and presentation with-in the rest, in relation to the rest of the response. Such personality changes mean that instruments/vocals take on either a glow or sheen or are brought into warmth or relief. But besides that, the shape and placement of the instruments/vocals will be affected. The actual personality of the tone. These tone changes can be looked at as color within the actual instrument/vocals. Color and size/shape difference, cable to cable. But beyond that they take on an actual object shape and surface (texture) personality. Where the sound objects have a distinctive way about them.
Thank you very much for your time and a detailed and very informative reply, so nice of you 😊

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,862 of 5,044
larger grander sound. It is susprising how wide deep the H40 sounds. It was one of the very first things I noticed. Aurora is a harmon balanced set meaning everything is balanced well and its tuning is relatively safe. But that is what makes them good and kinda avarage at the same time. Its a good sounding set but everything is just safe. Its stage is not confined but compared to the H40 it kinda is. H40 brings a big dynamic sound signature the Aurora is just Ok at. There are numerous single dynamics the Reecho OVA SG-01 and the more recent SuperTFZ Force 1 that are both just as good if not actually better than the Aurora both costing less.

The BAs for the H40 brings a more dimensional sound experience as well. I suppose if your into your safe harmon tunings the Aurora is a good set. But if you want one of the all time best hybrids for the price. The H40 I have a soft spot in my collection for and I still listen to them. The Aurora is been chilling in its box for a while. You expect for almost double the cost of the Aurora you want an upgrade and something different the H40 will be that and more. Unless your one of those that just want dynamic IEMs.

I would also look into the new ISN H30. if you wait a bit you will see a flood of new ISN H30 impressions soon. I would say do not overlook the ISN H30 just because it is the little brother of the H40. Its got its own style that many will like.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #3,863 of 5,044
Which ISN iem most resembles the sound and immersion of the BLON BL-03?
Not a ISN IEM but from the same parent company I believe, the Penon Serial should be a good upgrade if you want a very similar sound. Its pretty much the same frequency response, but the serial has slightly less mid bass bloat and a 7k harmonic cut in the treble for a more relaxed treble. It also uses dynamic drivers like the Blon 03, so yeah.
Screenshot_20220929-013809359~2.jpg

I've heard people saying the Penon Vortex is similar to the Serial but with a more energetic treble. Though I haven't heard the Vortex so I can't comment further on that.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #3,865 of 5,044
Not a ISN IEM but from the same parent company I believe, the Penon Serial should be a good upgrade if you want a very similar sound. Its pretty much the same frequency response, but the serial has slightly less mid bass bloat and a 7k harmonic cut in the treble for a more relaxed treble. It also uses dynamic drivers like the Blon 03, so yeah. Screenshot_20220929-013809359~2.jpg

I've heard people saying the Penon Vortex is similar to the Serial but with a more energetic treble. Though I haven't heard the Vortex so I can't comment further on that.
I'm in doubt, between the Penon Serial, the Mangird tea 2, or the ISN H40, which would sound more musical.. Complicated to choose when I don't have any of the 3 to test

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_125920.jpg
    IMG_20220929_125920.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #3,866 of 5,044
I'm in doubt, between the Penon Serial, the Mangird tea 2, or the ISN H40, which would sound more musical.. Complicated to choose when I don't have any of the 3 to test
I have all of them man... To my ears at least H40 is the more musical one in terms of engagement at least it is by far..

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #3,867 of 5,044
Don't buy the ISN H30 ! Weak bass, zero subs, but the splashy metallic fatiguing highs is the most horrible. After five minutes of listening u want to throw it far away. The shape is ridiculous: little shell, very long nozzle(for what ?). Some driver flex on both sides. Good overall clarity ,below average technical capabilities. Don't buy it, doesn't make any sense .

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20220930141220982_COVER-picsay.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20220930141220982_COVER-picsay.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #3,868 of 5,044
Don't buy the ISN H30 ! Weak bass, zero subs, but the splashy metallic fatiguing highs is the most horrible. After five minutes of listening u want to throw it far away. The shape is ridiculous: little shell, very long nozzle(for what ?). Some driver flex on both sides. Good overall clarity ,below average technical capabilities. Don't buy it, doesn't make any sense .
Wow, it strikes me how different your opinion is about @dsnut . Perhaps yours is a faulty unit?

Regards and thanks for your impressions.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3,870 of 5,044
I have had the privilege of hearing every ISN IEM except for the ISN Audio D02 and H30. But the H30 is in the mail to me as we speak. I would be surprised, as every ISN IEM replays a certain character that holds certain values close to home. Meaning I would be very surprised if it wasn’t just lack of burn-in or bad synergy in a single use that was generating such sound. Have you tried a bunch of sources, what about burn-in?

In other words, ISN Audio is consistent, so such a finding is out of the ordinary to say the least?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back