ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,146 of 5,046
It took me quite a while to write my first cable review and the AG8 I have enjoyed for several months was a natural candidate :
https://iem.reviews/2020/10/28/isn-ag8/

img_0604.jpg

"If you're looking for cable that brings an organic signature with extra texture down low, a nice lower mids boost and a smooth delivery across the range combined with a nice separation and stage size expansion that only an 8 wire can provide then at this price the AG8 is to me a no brainer!"

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #2,147 of 5,046
It took me quite a while to write my first cable review and the AG8 I have enjoyed for several months was a natural candidate :
https://iem.reviews/2020/10/28/isn-ag8/

"If you're looking for cable that brings an organic signature with extra texture down low, a nice lower mids boost and a smooth delivery across the range combined with a nice separation and stage size expansion that only an 8 wire can provide then at this price the AG8 is to me a no brainer!"

1D7D45C9-8320-4831-89C5-5C5C614BDE15.jpeg

loving my AG8 on gunmetal Blonvoyance.

Awesome review man! I often find it really challenging to do cable reviews, but you nailed it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,148 of 5,046
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,149 of 5,046
Received the D02 today. Shells are pretty large relative to other IEMs, they fit my ears quite snugly (but protrude quite a bit) and have unfortunately put any thoughts of the H40 out of my mind for that reason. The sound so far is really nice, similar enough to the NM2+. Stage is a little less expansive than the NM2+, it's slightly less detailed, missing some of that refinement and sweetness, but till has a very clear and airy sound... with of course that added bass kick which, thankfully, doesn't color the mids at all. I think I would have preferred a bit more sub-bass but of course I've gotta give them time to break in. Upper mids walk right up to the edge of... well, edginess, but I haven't heard them cross over my personal threshhold yet like the NM2+ does sometimes. Treble extension and quantity are good to my ear. Isolation with silicone tips is pretty good, better than the other single DDs I've tried but not quite to the level of the FH3 (possibly due to resin rather than metal shells). All in all very balanced tonality, somewhat more musical than analytical but not by much, it's a really good balance.

Overall, extremely impressive for $73 on sale. Got them pretty quick from Penon's AliExpress store with standard AE shipping.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,150 of 5,046
Received the D02 today. Shells are pretty large relative to other IEMs, they fit my ears quite snugly (but protrude quite a bit) and have unfortunately put any thoughts of the H40 out of my mind for that reason. The sound so far is really nice, similar enough to the NM2+. Stage is a little less expansive than the NM2+, it's slightly less detailed, missing some of that refinement and sweetness, but till has a very clear and airy sound... with of course that added bass kick which, thankfully, doesn't color the mids at all. I think I would have preferred a bit more sub-bass but of course I've gotta give them time to break in. Upper mids walk right up to the edge of... well, edginess, but I haven't heard them cross over my personal threshhold yet like the NM2+ does sometimes. Treble extension and quantity are good to my ear. Isolation with silicone tips is pretty good, better than the other single DDs I've tried but not quite to the level of the FH3 (possibly due to acrylic rather than metal shells). All in all very balanced tonality, somewhat more musical than analytical but not by much, it's a really good balance.

Overall, extremely impressive for $73 on sale. Got them pretty quick from Penon's AliExpress store with standard AE shipping.
sound comparison with the FH3?
thank you,

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #2,151 of 5,046
Received the D02 today. Shells are pretty large relative to other IEMs, they fit my ears quite snugly (but protrude quite a bit) and have unfortunately put any thoughts of the H40 out of my mind for that reason. The sound so far is really nice, similar enough to the NM2+. Stage is a little less expansive than the NM2+, it's slightly less detailed, missing some of that refinement and sweetness, but till has a very clear and airy sound... with of course that added bass kick which, thankfully, doesn't color the mids at all. I think I would have preferred a bit more sub-bass but of course I've gotta give them time to break in. Upper mids walk right up to the edge of... well, edginess, but I haven't heard them cross over my personal threshhold yet like the NM2+ does sometimes. Treble extension and quantity are good to my ear. Isolation with silicone tips is pretty good, better than the other single DDs I've tried but not quite to the level of the FH3 (possibly due to acrylic rather than metal shells). All in all very balanced tonality, somewhat more musical than analytical but not by much, it's a really good balance.

Your impression matches with mine to the T. Can you tell me how does it compare to FH3?

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,152 of 5,046
@Ace Bee @Strifeff7 Based on initial impressions, FH3 has more sub-bass and a bit higher quality bass in general, though both are nice and fast and full. FH3 has fuller mids, more forward vocals, less aggressive upper mids and perhaps a bit less rolled off treble. D02 has wider soundstage, more balanced tonality, and might edge it out on imaging and separation but if so not by a ton IMO. FH3 isolates better as mentioned, as well as comfort by a bit for my smallish ears. Details pretty similar.

Actually they’re pretty comparable, both sound very natural, best way of putting it is the D02 tends towards being more analytical and the FH3 more fun but they are two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,153 of 5,046
@Ace Bee @Strifeff7 Based on initial impressions, FH3 has a bit more sub-bass and a bit higher quality bass in general, though both are nice and fast and full. FH3 has fuller mids, more forward vocals, less aggressive upper mids and perhaps a bit less rolled off treble. D02 has wider soundstage, more balanced tonality, slightly better timbre and might edge it out on imaging and separation but if so not by a ton IMO. FH3 isolates better as mentioned, as well as comfort by a bit for my smallish ears. Details pretty similar.

Actually they’re pretty comparable, both sound very natural, best way of putting it is the D02 tends towards being more analytical and the FH3 more fun but they are two sides of the same coin.
Uhm...do you mean FH3 has less rolles off treble, that means D02 has rolled off treble?

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #2,154 of 5,046
Uhm...do you mean FH3 has less rolles off treble, that means D02 has rolled off treble?
Just a little, I find D02 to have pretty good treble, but by comparison to the NM2+ for example which is IMO exceptionally well-extended, the D02 is slightly rolled off. It still has pretty good sparkle just not quite as much extension. I wouldn't call the D02 treble shy at all, but others may have other opinions.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,155 of 5,046
Just a little, I find D02 to have pretty good treble, but by comparison to the NM2+ which is IMO exceptionally well-extended, the D02 is slightly rolled off. It still has pretty good sparkle just not quite as much extension. I wouldn't call the D02 treble shy at all, but others may have other opinions.
Yeah exactly, the treble of D02 was by no means shy to me 😂 which sounds more airy? D02 or FH3?

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,156 of 5,046
Yeah exactly, the treble of D02 was by no means shy to me 😂 which sounds more airy? D02 or FH3?
Definitely the D02, but this might be due to tonal balance versus the FH3. The bass emphasis and forward vocals of the FH3 I think leads to a closer stage and thus less airy feel.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,157 of 5,046
Definitely the D02, but this might be due to tonal balance versus the FH3. The bass emphasis and forward vocals of the FH3 I think leads to a closer stage and thus less airy feel.
Thanks a lot. You helped me save some expense 😄

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,158 of 5,046
Thanks a lot. You helped me save some expense 😄
Happy to help! The FH3 is great but I definitely think the D02 is the better buy, I don't miss my FH3 as I find the D02 bass more than satisfactory for my non-basshead and non-rap/EDM listening proclivities.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,159 of 5,046
Same here. I have far better gears, but the D02 is incredible for its price

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,160 of 5,046
True on the treble roll off of the D02. As previously mentioned by @IEMusic and myself a few pages back, there's a slight treble roll off on the D02 when compared to the better extended NM2+. Though the D02 still has an airy feel and could be considered bright in comparison to more natural sounding IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back