ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 25, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,467 of 5,041
Just A R R I V E E E E E D !!!! :dt880smile:
I'm still at work .... I can't wait to get home to enjoy my new jewels !!!
Congrats! Open it! lol

Jan 25, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #3,468 of 5,041
Can anyone comment on the smoothness between the H40 and H50? I have sensitive ears and they do not particularly appreciate sparkle or hot treble so I usually stray away from anything analytical or detailed for this reason (even though I like detailed music). I currently own the H40, but the hype train surrounding the H50 is enticing. If it helps, my last 2 favorite headphones were the Final Audio E3000s and LCD2.1s (pre-fazor). I used to be very active in this community but not so much anymore. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,469 of 5,041
Can anyone comment on the smoothness between the H40 and H50? I have sensitive ears and they do not particularly appreciate sparkle or hot treble so I usually stray away from anything analytical or detailed for this reason (even though I like detailed music). I currently own the H40, but the hype train surrounding the H50 is enticing. If it helps, my last 2 favorite headphones were the Final Audio E3000s and LCD2.1s (pre-fazor). I used to be very active in this community but not so much anymore. Thank you :)
I have both and i think you will be better off staying with H40 if you want warmer sound. H50 is dryer sounding. It suits better those who want some more reference sound.
I personally started going back to my H40 more due to better fit. So i think i will be letting H50 go.
Both sound good in their own way, i just seem to loose seal frequently when running or in general while being active, which does not happen with H40.

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #3,470 of 5,041
Skip the H50. As @Skullar mentioned this (H50) is more linear, reference tuned and can be bright on some modern recordings. This ISN offering will not supersede any previous offering including the 40, just another tuning flavour.
I'd rather reco. this. I skipped the H40 over this pair. This has less treble volume output compared to H40 ie relaxed, but the bass and Mids are better on the Orb, quality wise. This is my preference.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-orb.html
If you want just a tad more treble, controlled not piercing.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-globe.html
If you are a Basshead, want excellent Mids and a better controlled treble than the first two,
https://penonaudio.com/penon-serial.html
All (3) are excellent in the Mids, low level (micro) details are there but does not bring attention to themselves. They all don't have ear piercing trebles

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #3,471 of 5,041
All (3) are excellent in the Mids, low level (micro) details are there
Or go with ISN EST50 if it is still within your budget.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #3,472 of 5,041
Skip the H50. As @Skullar mentioned this (H50) is more linear, reference tuned and can be bright on some modern recordings. This ISN offering will not supersede any previous offering including the 40, just another tuning flavour.
I'd rather reco. this. I skipped the H40 over this pair. This has less treble volume output compared to H40 ie relaxed, but the bass and Mids are better on the Orb, quality wise. This is my preference.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-orb.html
If you want just a tad more treble, controlled not piercing.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-globe.html
If you are a Basshead, want excellent Mids and a better controlled treble than the first two,
https://penonaudio.com/penon-serial.html
All (3) are excellent in the Mids, low level (micro) details are there but does not bring attention to themselves. They all don't have ear piercing trebles
I have a love hate thing just now with H50. I think it's solid attempt at reference tuning with bass, and somewhat accomplishes that except for the added sibilance at 6-8 KHZ. I feel the rest of the treble is spot on.
I truly don't understand why so many IEMs are released with this flaw. I eq it down a bit and it helps. I've listened to a wide selection of my library, it is not a matter of can be bright, it (tuning) is simply not wholly believable as a representation of those recordings in it's stock form. Male vocals particularly, and cymbals become crunchy and edgy. There are however many recordings that sound just fine as is, particularly instrumental pieces.
All that being said, with eq I am having much fun on my runs through the hills, these are very lightweight and stay well in place for me.
I get great results pushing the 1kz up a decibel or 2 and the 8 kz down 2-6 depending on material .....reference tuning accomplished...with bass
Question: which of the 3 Penon is most comparable but with better sibilance control and little to no recess in the mids ?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #3,473 of 5,041
I have a love hate thing just now with H50. I think it's solid attempt at reference tuning with bass, and somewhat accomplishes that except for the added sibilance at 6-8 KHZ. I feel the rest of the treble is spot on.
I truly don't understand why so many IEMs are released with this flaw. I eq it down a bit and it helps. I've listened to a wide selection of my library, it is not a matter of can be bright, it (tuning) is simply not wholly believable as a representation of those recordings in it's stock form. Male vocals particularly, and cymbals become crunchy and edgy. There are however many recordings that sound just fine as is, particularly instrumental pieces.
All that being said, with eq I am having much fun on my runs through the hills, these are very lightweight and stay well in place for me.
I get great results pushing the 1kz up a decibel or 2 and the 8 kz down 2-6 depending on material .....reference tuning accomplished...with bass
How many hours on your H50?
I'm still weathering the Serial atm.
With previous ba receiver experience, they tend to lower their brightness after 100 hours...
Question: which of the 3 Penons is most comparable but with better sibilance* control and more level mids (1khz ish)?
*All Penons don't have this issue, even the brightest (Serial) still has less treble output compared to the H50...

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #3,474 of 5,041
How many hours on your H50?
I'm still weathering the Serial atm.
With previous ba receiver experience, they tend to lower their brightness after 100 hours...

*All Penons don't have this issue, even the brightest (Serial) still has less treble output compared to the H50...
I have crossed the 100 hours. I think its driver control/choice and inability to handle dynamics...Of course I'm hoping for improvement cos there is a lot to love about the H50.
I did experience the bass changing much for the better.... I think after the first few hours it seemed to get inline with the rest of the drivers.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #3,475 of 5,041
I have crossed the 100 hours. I think its driver control/choice and inability to handle dynamics...Of course I'm hoping for improvement cos there is a lot to love about the H50.
I did experience the bass changing much for the better.... I think after the first few hours it seemed to get inline with the rest of the drivers.
That's about it. Our ear sensitivities differ, meaning you are more sensitive.
What did you like most about the H50?
As for me it's the ISN Bass, the sub bass decay, extension, rumble, texture and overall resolution.
The vast stage comes second, efficiency comes next. I'm keeping my H50.
Just roll with some tips if need arise...
IMG_20220127_104738.jpg

I played some of my litmus test tracks for ear piercing treble.
Was acceptable to me.
IMG_20220127_103140.jpg

But this track below - SIMPLY Hopeless!
The Rhino remaster of the same track I loaded in my dap, I have to re-process myself in audacity and chopped off as much as 4.5 db on top. Yeah, it's that bad!
But I love this track so much so I have to do it...
IMG_20220127_104453.jpg

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #3,476 of 5,041
You try some different cables? I would try a pure copper variety see how that works out for you.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #3,478 of 5,041
That's about it. Our ear sensitivities differ, meaning you are more sensitive.
What did you like most about the H50?
As for me it's the ISN Bass, the sub bass decay, extension, rumble, texture and overall resolution.
The vast stage comes second, efficiency comes next. I'm keeping my H50.
Just roll with some tips if need arise...
What I do like most, and coming from Andromeda perspective, is the bass performance. The profile of the slope all the way to sub bass is near perfect for me. Quantity wise I think it sits right in the middle ground, but dialing it up a bit as needed is painless. I haven't heard a Zeppelin recording that wasn't substantially improved with (seemingly) massive bass reshaping, the H50 doesn't disappoint here. If I could choose, I would take some more quantity. Quality wise, It is so very different the BA bass, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, probably not ready to comment much there just yet except I do appreciate the speediness and definition of the BA bass. Slam goes to dynamic.
As far as tips, I think the green stem included are the right ones, tried Spin Fits, Finals, Horns, some foams are good as well as long as there is about 5mm opening.
With that, I enjoy these as much as any iems I've owned, but not without tweaking a bit. They remind me more of my big speakers more than others.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #3,479 of 5,041
You try some different cables? I would try a pure copper variety see how that works out for you.
Don't own a pure copper just yet. If anyone could convince me of cable profiles it is you Dsnuts, however am not quite there yet. I believe what I am hearing in the H50 is a narrow range that is a bit too forward for me. Is it a cumulative result of varying factors such human sensitivities, ear shapes, drivers and capabilities? I'd bet -yes.
I do not hear these things from my big speakers, though, unless of course we are listening to a bad recording but that is not what am referring too.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #3,480 of 5,041
What I do like most, and coming from Andromeda perspective, is the bass performance. The profile of the slope all the way to sub bass is near perfect for me. Quantity wise I think it sits right in the middle ground, but dialing it up a bit as needed is painless. I haven't heard a Zeppelin recording that wasn't substantially improved with (seemingly) massive bass reshaping, the H50 doesn't disappoint here. If I could choose, I would take some more quantity. Quality wise, It is so very different the BA bass, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, probably not ready to comment much there just yet except I do appreciate the speediness and definition of the BA bass. Slam goes to dynamic.
As far as tips, I think the green stem included are the right ones, tried Spin Fits, Finals, Horns, some foams are good as well as long as there is about 5mm opening.
With that, I enjoy these as much as any iems I've owned, but not without tweaking a bit. They remind me more of my big speakers than others.
Yes, ba receivers for accuracy, properly tuned DD = realism - I'd choose the dd anyday, everyday. I kept the Solaris classic for this very reason.
I have not yet acquired the Radius D.M. tips. A bit busy. This is for the H50, I want more bass to be palpable.
I am currently spoiled by the Serial's voluminous bass.
Yet, the H50 even with less quantity, the Bass has better definition, better quality overall and a larger scene as well...

Attachments

• ANdro-2019.jpg
    ANdro-2019.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back