is there such thing as an "open" iem?
Sep 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 29
It is a fair question. The blades are just for the look. It has air vents but not on the blades. They have 3 blades per side, I put tape on two of them to increase bass.

Quote:
i really like the way the ddm has been described and i won't be using an open IEM outside very often, but oh damn... that's even more hideous than the stax one... >_< i'm no apple fanboy that goes gaga over shiny and pretty things like sheeps/zombies/etc (in fact, i hate apple with passion) but i like products that have good balance of performance and design (like my car 
bigsmile_face.gif
 lol)

and the colors!!!1!!1~ oh wow, maybe if it were like black with silver strip panel, or maybe blood red with black strip panel... but maroon and gold, gee that really can't help with the sales >_<

i'll try the phiaton ps210 first then get the fx700 once i have some more funds (i always loved wood finish.. mmmm)

--edit

btw, the back of the ps210, it looks like an airplane jet engine, and what looks to be small blades held by the center piece/cone, are there actually gaps in between the blades, like a mesh that lets the air in and out? or is that for just looks? (i apologize if this doesn't make any sense, i didn't know how to put in a better way)

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 29
i would say ie8 because the fit will make them sound open, there are also some others i forget off the top of my head, i was never interested because one major reason i like iem is isolation

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 29
Actually, the Final Audio 1601 series is far more open, not even creating seal with the ear. Of course, it is a b*tch to use, but if you can fiddle the EQ correctly, it is the most mesmerising earphone experience I've ever had.

Quote:
Phiaton PS210, as open as an in ear can ever be. If you like AD700 sound signature then you will probably like PS210 as well. It is like AD700 with a more forwarded mid. Soundstage is not as wide of course, but still better than most IEM out there.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 29
The Sennheiser IE6 are open IEMs. Even my Pro 900 and D1001 have better noise isolation.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Actually, the Final Audio 1601 series is far more open, not even creating seal with the ear. Of course, it is a b*tch to use, but if you can fiddle the EQ correctly, it is the most mesmerising earphone experience I've ever had.

wow those look cool, where did ya find those
as always shigzeo has got the scoop

i remember when i first got into iem, shigzeo u were a huge help, so thanks man
best regards

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 29
both the Pro 900 and D1001 are closed cans - of course they have better isolation than an 'open' iem. But there is 'open' an there is open. The IE series is ported, but hardly to the same effect as the really expensive Final Audio 1601 series. That headphone provides less isolation than the DT880!

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #22 of 29
cool, the final audio 1601 looks really nice but it doesn't look open... will this give a similar open sound as the ad700?

--edit

holly crap i just checked how much these things go for... 
eek.gif

what, should i sell my kidney!?

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
@james: I see that you didn't last very long resisting them
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> This goes to show you how I'll never understand how two people can hear entirely different. I tried most tips in my collection minus those large sizes that won't fit in my ears and the treble was quite soft but I did like the sound..the fit on the other hand is a completely different story. Although it may have just been that the bass and mids just overwhelmed the treble into hiding
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" /> I don't think they are that great in imaging for some reason although most seem to like them for that.  Also for AD700 think of a headphone with large sound stage similar to my tastes but even more bass light than whatever you have ever heard. I owned them for a week wondering where the heck the bass was before I sold them.

Actually, I really didn't plan to buy the DDMs, but was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I'm glad for that unexpected twist of fate. To my ears they sound completely different and infinitely more likeable when I wear them without seal. Highs are much more present, but needless to say there's still no shortage of bass.

Quote:
i really like the way the ddm has been described and i won't be using an open IEM outside very often, but oh damn... that's even more hideous than the stax one... >_< i'm no apple fanboy that goes gaga over shiny and pretty things like sheeps/zombies/etc (in fact, i hate apple with passion) but i like products that have good balance of performance and design (like my car 
bigsmile_face.gif
 lol)

and the colors!!!1!!1~ oh wow, maybe if it were like black with silver strip panel, or maybe blood red with black strip panel... but maroon and gold, gee that really can't help with the sales >_<

i'll try the phiaton ps210 first then get the fx700 once i have some more funds (i always loved wood finish.. mmmm)

x2 on the looks, I haven't yet convinced myself to wear them in public though the maroon/gold is less flashy in real life than in the pics. Nevertheless I believe the DD in DDM stands for design desaster, not dual driver.
wink.gif

Having said that, I'm not so sure about the PS210 being significantly less conspicuous.
tongue.gif

Quote:
techenvy said:

i would say ie8 because the fit will make them sound open, there are also some others i forget off the top of my head, i was never interested because one major reason i like iem is isolation

Quote:
shigzeo said:

both the Pro 900 and D1001 are closed cans - of course they have better isolation than an 'open' iem. But there is 'open' an there is open. The IE series is ported, but hardly to the same effect as the really expensive Final Audio 1601 series. That headphone provides less isolation than the DT880!

x2, ported is not the same as open, though a loose seal can create a similar effect. Most IEMs become bass deficient without proper seal. Both the IE8 and Radius have sufficient bass quantity to be worn that way, yet the Radius sound even more open and spacious than the IE8.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
cool, the final audio 1601 looks really nice but it doesn't look open... will this give a similar open sound as the ad700?

--edit

holly crap i just checked how much these things go for... 
eek.gif

what, should i sell my kidney!?

Their housing is vented and they are meant to be worn without seal. Their sound signature is in fact extremely open. Still, they are an acquired taste and I wouldn't feel confident to recommend them to anybody at that price.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 29
are these things from japan? i'm going to japan next year, so maybe i can visit their HQ and test it out first hand before selling my kidney/s lol

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #26 of 29

Quote:

Actually, I really didn't plan to buy the DDMs, but was made an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I'm glad for that unexpected twist of fate. To my ears they sound completely different and infinitely more likeable when I wear them without seal. Highs are much more present, but needless to say there's still no shortage of bass.

x2 on the looks, I haven't yet convinced myself to wear them in public though the maroon/gold is less flashy in real life than in the pics. Nevertheless I believe the DD in DDM stands for design desaster, not dual driver.
wink.gif

Heh. James, I can't wait until you give the DDM to dfkt to review. If he hates the fit as much as I'm expecting him to, I'll be looking forward to another of his now infamous, scathing reviews.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
Heh. James, I can't wait until you give the DDM to dfkt to review. If he hates the fit as much as I'm expecting him to, I'll be looking forward to another of his now infamous, scathing reviews.
wink.gif

x2, in fact I already showed them to him shortly during a meet. Suffice to say it didn't take long for him to start looking like his avatar.
wink.gif

However I'm going abroad and taking the DDMs along, so it'll take some time until he gets them.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

x2, ported is not the same as open, though a loose seal can create a similar effect. Most IEMs become bass deficient without proper seal. Both the IE8 and Radius have sufficient bass quantity to be worn that way, yet the Radius sound even more open and spacious than the IE8.

Ah, that's why I sometimes like to use a loose seal (1/3rd insertion) and activate sony mega bass, that way I acheive a cleaner, more acoustic, open sound, and the mega bass recompensates for the said bass deficiency.
wink.gif

The only drawback in this setup is the the sound signature is a bit "thin", like, lacking body, so this is not an ideal solution, just a novelty with certain kinds of music
wink.gif

"Extremely Open" IEM's sounds pretty interesting to me, as I like tend to favour earbuds and open-air headphones, (I only use closed headphones for rock).  Can someone compare the sound sig. of these Phaiton PS210's to the Audio-Technica ATH-CM700ti, Head-Direct RE0, or Sony MDR-EX500?  (or Yuin OK2, or Sennheiser MX980).
I'm reasonably new to IEM's, and I'm going to order one of the above IEM's/earbuds this week or next week, so any comparisons will be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
  (Or new suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif
).
I'm currently using the Jays A-Jays Three, and I think they're great IEM's, but the treble isn't quite good enough for my tastes.

My taste is, I suppose, treble and clarity-centric, I am not scared of sibilance or sharpness.

My primary music taste is electronic genres, and second place is classical.  My favorite sound-effect is reverb.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
x2, in fact I already showed them to him shortly during a meet. Suffice to say it didn't take long for him to start looking like his avatar.
wink.gif

However I'm going abroad and taking the DDMs along, so it'll take some time until he gets them.

Well, of course their fit is a complete joke, but they sound rather decent - like a less refined FX700, at first listen. That's something I really haven't expected from the company that made (or rather, picked from some OEM company) the Atomic Bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back