Is there such a thing as headphones/IEM that I can actually expect to last more than a few years?
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

wyager

Head-Fier
So, after dropping $90 on my HJE900s to get the most durable IEMs available (at least in this price range) only to have a disappointing experience with one of the drivers acting up a bit and a lack of proper warranty, I'm left wondering if IEMs that you could, say, pass on to your children actually exist, or are they all designed to break after a few years? Lots of things that I buy in this price range I can expect to last longer than I do, and with a lot more complexity than a pair of speakers inside a shell of some kind. Now, I guess I'm expanding my search beyond IEMs because it seems that there just isn't much available that will really last. When I find myself needing a new headphone/IEM/whatever, is there anything I can buy that I will never need to buy again?

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 38
I've had a pair of Etymotic ER6s (not 6i) for about six years now and the only thing I've had to do to them is change the filters. They haven't been my only pair, but they were my main pair for at least three years with no problems.

Shures on the other hand . . . .

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 38
My new TMA-1's seem to be built to last, no doubt. I suspect I'll have them for a long, long time as a portable/work listening can.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 38

Quote:
I've had a pair of Etymotic ER6s (not 6i) for about six years now and the only thing I've had to do to them is change the filters. They haven't been my only pair, but they were my main pair for at least three years with no problems.

Shures on the other hand . . . .

And no removable cables? What happens when they wear through?

Quote:
My new TMA-1's seem to be built to last, no doubt. I suspect I'll have them for a long, long time as a portable/work listening can.

And yet, at $200, they are made of ABS plastic and nylon. 

Honestly, the thing I would trust to last the longest (of what I've seen) is the sleek SA7. I suppose I really like user-maintainability, as that can dramatically extend service life. To my knowledge, most IEMs can NOT be disassembled by the user (if my HJE900s could be disassembled (maybe they can?) that would be great, and I could probably fix whatever problem the earbud has by opening it up.)

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 38
For headphones, more or less if the QC is good (no driver issues), the only thing that could wear out over a few years is the wires (specifically the end joints). Fortify and/or maintain them well and the headphones are unlikely to break down.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 38
in 100USD price range it is hard to purchase something which will last.  Once you get in upper 300USD then you won't have to worry about breaking and even if it will break, many companies offer very reasonable warranty.
To name the few, Orotofon e-Q7 are made to last. Also a new model e-Q5 is very durable.
Victor JVC HA-FX700 are made very well I have read on Headfi.
UM3X by Westones, CK10 by AT. All this are on 250-350 Price range and once you pay so much, We all expect to be investing in a long run.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 38
I have a pair of Shure E2c bought back from 2004. The flex tips needed to be changed and that was pretty much it. Also got a pair of Ety ER6c from 2005 that still works well (needed 2 filter changes though)

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 38

Get the SE535, don't think you can get more durable than that.

Both the Shure SE425 and the 535 have detachable cables which are probably thick enough for Batman's grapple gun, though I suspect those are out of your price range.
All of the Shure headphones are über durable - I've had my SE110s for almost 3 years, and they're still in the best possible condition. Those are only about $20 over your price range, and the SE115 and SE210s are good too, but for a little more.

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 38
Hey guys, how is the triple.fi 10 in terms of durability/warranty? I was looking around for IEMs with replaceable cables and realized that this was within a reasonable price range... It has a two year warranty too, right?

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 38

I've heard reports of the nozzle end coming apart on them. Not sure if that problem has been corrected.
Quote:
Hey guys, how is the triple.fi 10 in terms of durability/warranty? I was looking around for IEMs with replaceable cables and realized that this was within a reasonable price range... It has a two year warranty too, right?

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 38
I guess it depends on money spent. My ER4p's have lasted me about 10 years (but I did do the cable upgrade....less microphonic).

My UE-10's have been around since 1996 and my E500's have been around the same time, but they don't get 1/10 of the use that the UE-10's do.  I know others have had problems with the wire on the E5XX series that it seems that the E535's have addressed.

My JH-13's have been around a little more than a year, but after swapping out the TWAG and ALO cables, they started to fall off the cables, and after almost losing them at the airport, I put a tiny drop of Gorilla Glue on the TWAGs (which can easily be removed with a simple sliver of a box cutter on the glue drip. If you spend $49 on a pair of IEM's, then if you get more than a year out of them, you're ahead of the game. I would hope that $500 IEM's should give at least 3-5 years of loyal service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back