Is there anyone here that HAPPY with his headphones ?!
Aug 11, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #61 of 109
i'm happy with my ms1 on some albums...some sound way better with the dt-990...overall i probably like more the 990, more detailed etc....but can i say that i'm 100% happy with it ? NO, because it's damn uncomfortable to me...just like ANY other circumaural i have tried...it must be the shape of my head...i' have been condemned to be a grado fan...in fact i just bought a pair of sr225...
biggrin.gif
I hope i'll be finally happy then....

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #62 of 109
I've been happy with the ES2 on the portable front for quite some time now. I also like the SR-001, soon to be a heavily modded SR-001 on the transportable front as well, though "like" doesn't equal "completely happy with," since while I like the sound signature, the technical merits could be better.

On the stationary front, though, things are a bit different. Or rather, were a bit different until I found the O2 Mk1. I could maybe become dissatisfied with it in a few weeks, but for the time being I have no complaints, and the areas that could use improvements are all areas in which a bigger amp (using a transformer box and a speaker amp ATM) will bring about improvements.

Prior to this, though, I was never really happy with anything. The (bass-light) K340 had a lovely sound signature but the comfort was just appalling; the right earcup had to be held in place by hand to get a good seal in every pair I've tried. The HD650 sounded amazing in push-pull mode off my speaker amp but there were issues with headroom. The HD600 was nicely neutral with great tone, but it wasn't fast enough or detailed enough to musically disappear. And the SR-404, while technically great, had a nasty midrange coloration and precisely the wrong sound signature.

I realize that after I heard the HE90, I was subconsciously seeking the same sound in my rigs. That's not a very realistic expectation since very little sounds like an HE90 short of the HE90. The balanced HD650 comes closest but it's still not the real thing.

However, the O2 is on the same level as the HE90, with admittedly a different sound signature, but one which still pushes all the right buttons for me. I guess it took listening to a comparable-quality phone for the shock of the HE90 to fade.

Well, it took only damn near three years. About time.

I guess that the O2 is here to stay, but the rest of the signal path is going to change, plenty and often.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #63 of 109
a happy and satisfied head-fier here.. I've be hanging out in the lounge and gear-fi a lot more than the cans/amps/source forums lately.
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #64 of 109
My HD555's, I'm fully satisfied with them, and until I move to completely lossless music from CD, I think the benefits of higher-end stuff will just be lost on me.

Though I might get some use out of a pico or similar
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #65 of 109
I'm pretty happy as well.
My main rig being the k1000 has satisfied me for longer than any headphone and I've run through pretty much everything out there. It's great for everything I throw at it. Use it mostly for critical/serious listening.

Also have vintage RS1s that are a great 2nd headphone for when I want a change pace...something in your face and to have fun with.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #66 of 109
I have an HD 555 and an SR60. Together, they represent some of the best value in headphones. Sure, I can go higher and still get great value with something like the K701, but at some point (and this point may be earlier for me than for others), it's going to be about the gear, and not the music. I don't want to go there.

I might swap the SR60 for something equivalent to my Senns, perhaps the SR125. I might get an equivalent closed headphone, like the K172HD. I might get a nice IEM for portable use, but nothing too fancy, either. Maybe a Metro.fi 200 of something like that. To top it all off, nothing more than a Zero for amplification, if anything at all more than my trusty stereo receiver.

The point is, I'm not sure that there's a need for me to go for a higher tier of headphones. I'm very pleased with my position at "entry-level audiophilia", as it keeps sound good, costs low, and it prevents me from bordering on the insane
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #67 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that after I heard the HE90, I was subconsciously seeking the same sound in my rigs. That's not a very realistic expectation since very little sounds like an HE90 short of the HE90. The balanced HD650 comes closest but it's still not the real thing.

However, the O2 is on the same level as the HE90, with admittedly a different sound signature, but one which still pushes all the right buttons for me. I guess it took listening to a comparable-quality phone for the shock of the HE90 to fade.

the HE90/HEV90 is special. to me, nothing is really comparable. of course, i have yet to hear the O2 on really stellar amplification - at least side by side with the HE90. that would be the real test. until then, i will keep the HE90 in the #1 spot. however, the O2 is still a solid #2.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #69 of 109
the big battle for me is finding a headphone that has enough detail to be engaging, while still being tonally acurate and not harsh in the treble, etc. Most headphones emphasize certain freq to pull out more detail or dynamics, whatever. There are very few that accomplish the balance Im looking for successfully. I think the only one's i have found are the O2's. orpheus, HP2 and Sextett -and the HD650's do it with a great amp. I heard the old school brown headband RS1's the other day, and they are a contender too.

but since I can only afford the sextetts, Im very happy with them. of course, i would like more out of them with the right amp, and dream of more, but at this point, i dont think a better rig is going to help me enjoy music more

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #70 of 109
After all the headphones I have gotten ever since, the hd600s are the first ones that made me think of going back to listening to cds and/or lossless files. They are the first ones that made me want to get a new DAC. What does this mean? Well, it might still seem like I'm unhappy with them for the non-headfi crowd but for the harcore headphone maniacs, it only says that they are the first cans ive had that are worthy of building a system around.

Of course, I still got to have a little extra fun on the side by getting some other stuff to try but aint it the nature of the disease hehehe

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #75 of 109
Yes, I'm happy with my headphones, but I have a lot of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back