Is the ultrasone edition 8 the right headphone for me?
Aug 22, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:
What do you mean too nice mate? That it takes so much babysitting to handle them that its not worh having thrm around all the time?
Another question would be, for someone who is a semi audiophile, is there a much cheaper phone that offers almost the same qualities, if one is nnot able to pick out that 1% difference in sound?

I just received my Denon D600 for $400 and am enjoying very much.  Tone, detail and SQ are comparable to the high end Ultrasones IMO.  While the Utrasone offers greater transparency, the D600 is the winner for me in the fun category with highs that are crisp and detailed, but never harsh or sibilant.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:
What do you mean too nice mate? That it takes so much babysitting to handle them that its not worh having thrm around all the time?
Another question would be, for someone who is a semi audiophile, is there a much cheaper phone that offers almost the same qualities, if one is nnot able to pick out that 1% difference in sound?

1. Precisely
2. \/ \/ \/
Quote:
Ultrasone Sig Pro

+1 - And most consider the Sig Pro comparable or superior. It's all in the taste. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 50
To the OP...

I wouldn't go skipping 5 steps ahead... you'll outlive the "journey" (headphone addiction) way to fast and quite frankly, I think you will probably be underwhelmed. Maybe it's just me but I find it eye-opening when one goes from a "lesser" headphone to a more robust/dynamic-better sounding headphone.

I would suggest to go up slowly. Yeah, the Edition 8 and Sig Pros are great and definitely recommended (using my Sig Pros right now at work) but I would frankly start with something like:

Shure SRH840s: (not the best comfort but great sound for the price, definitely can withstand the road and provides decent isolation and no sound leakage)

Fostex T50RPs Mad Dogs edition: (SUPER comfortable -- uses the 840 pads, great sound reproduction, decent isolation, no sound leakage... need an amp to sound best though).

Definitely would NOT suggest any "woodie" from Denon/Fostex/Audio-Technica to bring out while commuting... too gorgeous and fragile. As mentioned, the Edition 8s look so good that I wouldn't dare use them on the streets with fear that I'd nick them or something so IF you are going the "expensive" route, the Signature Pros ARE rugged and produce great warm sound with low hitting bass, great quality sub-bass, very nice mids and highs.

Good luck and enjoy!

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:
I know that, I tend to be like that, and sometimes even I am being arrogant, bust most of the time I just don't bother to butter over the issue, which makes it seem arrogant.

Anyway I read, a lot.....

Everyone on these boards "read a lot"... so that means that anyone can voice their opinions as they please. It will be up to the OP to decide which replies to take with a grain of salt or not. You are not the authority on who should be posting or why... Craigster seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for this hobby and that is welcomed... in fact he just bought the D600s, D400s and pre-ordered the M-100s so... when are you going to buy some more stuff and give us real impressions that put forward your 'expertise' on every subject from amps to headphones? Yeah... thought so. If one goes by your logic, no one would be "able" to post on these boards.

Thanks.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the valuable input! And thank you Mutineer for the mini review, loved it.
So, to get a pair with lasting aesthetics, I should be looking at the Palladium version? Is that even worth 200 more bucks..
And also, can someone provide dimensions of the can opening so I can measure if they will fit on me? (yes, yet another weird thing that head-fi will have me do, measure my ears...). It would be great if there would be a place to audition them in Copenhagen, if one would know of such one.

I have read about rusting issues with some of the metals regarding the ED8, not sure if it related to the Palladium or Ruthenium.  However, the Sig PRO has a glass back, so rust would not be an issue (and SHOULD not be an issue on a $1,500+ headphone).

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 50
Voting for Sig. Pro on this one , seem that it was built to last. Not too flashy, can take outside without attracting the wrong attentions - depending on where you live off course.
And there is something into enjoying the ride by upgrading but you save a lot of $ by just skipping the process if you can afford to
Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get
Happy Listening!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 50
And now that you mention price, the Ultrasone Signature Pro can be bought for $850 or less when calling RMCaudio and other retailers...

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Ultrasone-Signature-Pro-Headphones-p/signature-pro.htm

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:
To the OP...

I wouldn't go skipping 5 steps ahead... you'll outlive the "journey" (headphone addiction) way to fast and quite frankly, I think you will probably be underwhelmed. Maybe it's just me but I find it eye-opening when one goes from a "lesser" headphone to a more robust/dynamic-better sounding headphone.

+1. 100% agree. There is something to be said for the experience you gain on the journey up. It's very rewarding. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 50
Thanks for the input guys. I think that even if I buy them now, there will still be plenty of experience to be had afterwards, by exploring the amp and source options. Plus you should expect a very lengthy review of whatever I end up with :wink:

What bothers me now is the cup size, as I have ears exactly 6cm long. I cannot seem to find the cup dimensions anywhere, any ideas guys? I'm also not sure of the exact pros and cons of the palladium version.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Everyone on these boards "read a lot"... so that means that anyone can voice their opinions as they please. It will be up to the OP to decide which replies to take with a grain of salt or not. You are not the authority on who should be posting or why... Craigster seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for this hobby and that is welcomed... in fact he just bought the D600s, D400s and pre-ordered the M-100s so... when are you going to buy some more stuff and give us real impressions that put forward your 'expertise' on every subject from amps to headphones? Yeah... thought so. If one goes by your logic, no one would be "able" to post on these boards.

Thanks.

You would be surprised how little people read actual valuable information - internet users in general dislike reading (part of my field of study so I would hope I know how people react.) Also blindly recommending and posting are 2 different things, make sure you get the distinction.

thanks. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #26 of 50
sig pro is NOT better than edition 8s, people only say that due to shiny new toy syndrome or flavor of the month. The 8s are still the champ for me and present the spectrum in a euphoric liquid way that few other headphones match. The sig pro is just an edition 9 made with cheaper parts, if you want a neutral headphone there are far better options than the sig. while the ed 8 can perform every genre and compell you to the music.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:
You would be surprised how little people read actual valuable information - internet users in general dislike reading (part of my field of study so I would hope I know how people react.) Also blindly recommending and posting are 2 different things, make sure you get the distinction.

thanks. 

I find the combination of reading/proper research AND listening to be the best way to intelligently share my views.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:
sig pro is NOT better than edition 8s, people only say that due to shiny new toy syndrome or flavor of the month. The 8s are still the champ for me and present the spectrum in a euphoric liquid way that few other headphones match. The sig pro is just an edition 9 made with cheaper parts, if you want a neutral headphone there are far better options than the sig. while the ed 8 can perform every genre and compell you to the music.

So would you commute with the lovely Edition 8s then instead of the Signature Pros? Edition 8s might still sound better (I personally don't know since I don't own Ed 8s) but to me they just look too pretty! :p The Sig Pros look "normal"... so I would feel comfortable taking them out and abusing them while STILL retaining a great sound reproducing headphone...

But again, I would still go cheaper for an "on the go" headphone :wink:

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Oh man, your opinion is in the minority my friend. Why are you so vindictive against the SP?

The only problem I have with this is you are espousing your opinion as fact. I agree the Sig Pro isn't better because no one can definitively say one is better than the other. It's all about taste. 

Seeing as how the Sig Pro has been out for a while now, I don't think it is still being subject to flavor of the month. You can NOT say that they Signature Pro is NOT better. For you, the SP wasn't. For a DRASTIC number of people that compared the two, the SP was better. And, it was better for me, after extensive listening. No one cay say one is better than the other. All I say is many many people did find the SP better. Not to mention the SP is considered MORE neutral. Maybe you didn't spend enough time with the SP. I think most everyone that knows the SP would disagree with almost everything you've said. The SP is considered to be more of an all-rounder, because it is more neutral. You shouldn't state your opinion as fact as most disagree with you. Both are great headphones. For me, the SP is light years ahead of the Ed8. In comparison, the Ed8 sounded like a thin joke with a hot, degrading high end. And that was after a year of owning it and loving it. So no, the Ed8 isn't euphoric liquid to me. But it is to you. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 50
Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox

"sig pro is NOT better than edition 8s, people only say that due to shiny new toy syndrome or flavor of the month. The 8s are still the champ for me and present the spectrum in a euphoric liquid way that few other headphones match. The sig pro is just an edition 9 made with cheaper parts, if you want a neutral headphone there are far better options than the sig. while the ed 8 can perform every genre and compell you to the music."

+1 ----- I agree fully --- I was choosing to remain quiet on the amount of fanboyism the Sig Pros are getting on this thread --- but you said exactly what I was thinking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back