Is the Lisa III currently the best transportable?
Feb 10, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
By transportable, I mean battery powered amp that's not like toting around a VCR. I know there are some other amps and DACs out there that are battery powered, but they have like 40 9v batteries and are huge. I'm looking for something along the lines of the Lisa, where you COULD carry it around, but it's more at home on a desk like the Lisa is.

Listening to the Lisa III, I'm falling in love with the sound more than I initially thought, but am left curious if there's anything else out there that betters it that DOESN'T need to be plugged in.

Just straight SQ, is the Lisa pretty much the end all BEFORE it becomes a "home amp"? Especially in that price bracket?

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 29
Of the current in production, I have not heard any better yet...

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 29
Total concurage. The LisaIII is so accurate I use it for masting sometimes. My favorite thing about the amp is its mid range freq. response. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on a headphone amp any bigger in size then the Lisa III; I would rather use the space and money on a speaker amp. Lisa works out perfectly moving from spot to spot.

The way I see it, speakers are stationary and logically a stationary-home amp fits this type of situation. Headphones are portable, and therefore seems reasonable to have an amp you can move around easily. <IMO>

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnoshroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way I see it, speakers are stationary and logically a stationary-home amp fits this type of situation. Headphones are portable, and therefore seems reasonable to have an amp you can move around easily. <IMO>

biggrin.gif
That is an interesting point of view alright!
biggrin.gif
Does that mean you are going to miss out on all the great desktop/home amps out there? That would be a shame IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 29
I don't think I would walk around with R-10's or any electrostatic headphones but that is a choice we all make. I don't think I have seen a portable electrostatic amp. There are a number of other points as well. There bookshelf speakers that aren't really meant for the bookshelf. I find that headphones at home make for great listening and I normally do not disturb anyone. It's all great fun.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 29
Since Lisa III is very widely praised over here and perform better than most portable amp (standing in between portable/desktop), how does this amp against desktop amps? like GS-1, Opera, B22, etc?

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since Lisa III is very widely praised over here and perform better than most portable amp (standing in between portable/desktop), how does this amp against desktop amps? like GS-1, Opera, B22, etc?

Good question. I would like to know how it stacks up against nonportable. I know someone here that can give a good answer to this. I have received info that it has more detail than the Woo 6, which I do enjoy.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I would like to know how it stacks up against nonportable. I know someone here that can give a good answer to this. I have received info that it has more detail than the Woo 6, which I do enjoy.

That would be awfully big shoes to fill, I'd like to hear about that too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 29
I would love to have a "portable" that also scales the voltage swing needed for that extra kick needed, which is what home units have, besides the current but it often boils down to the voltage question. Even if a Lisa III was made into a home unit with more voltage I would still like to have a portable/transportable that could jump up say. . Go no further I can fill most of the needs. :^) I do think there are portables that do a great job but it is understood by most manufactures that you still don't have that extra voltage for the ultimate drive of home headphones.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

I would love to have a "portable" that also scales the voltage swing needed for that extra kick needed, which is what home units have, besides the current but it often boils down to the voltage question. Even if a Lisa III was made into a home unit with more voltage I would still like to have a portable/transportable that could jump up say. . Go no further I can fill most of the needs. :^) I do think there are portables that do a great job but it is understood by most manufactures that you still don't have that extra voltage for the ultimate drive of home headphones.

I suppose that day is coming, with improvements in stored energy. Applicability would stop me, I think. There is something to be said for having that dedicated home equipment...something very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose that day is coming, with improvements in stored energy. Applicability would stop me, I think. There is something to be said for having that dedicated home equipment...something very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can appreciate that but I have been on the move for the last couple of years so to have something of a home amp but portable would be great. Oh, I am listening to some very excellent portables but a greater voltage swing would be fun at times. In a couple of years there are some new rechargeables coming out that will have at least 10 times the storage for the same size like a double A that will have at least 26 amps of storage. Now couple that with more voltage and you have some excellent DC and voltage.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

I can appreciate that but I have been on the move for the last couple of years so to have something of a home amp but portable would be great. Oh, I am listening to some very excellent portables but a greater voltage swing would be fun at times. In a couple of years there are some new rechargeables coming out that will have at least 10 times the storage for the same size like a double A that will have at least 26 amps of storage. Now couple that with more voltage and you have some excellent DC and voltage.

Thats amazing stuff! I'd like a robot servant with built in audio.
biggrin.gif

Don't carry it around, have it follow you around.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 29
Lets compare three Solid-State amps I own. The Graham Slee Solo with PSU1, the 2007 edition. The G-Lite with it's dedicated power supply. And the Lisa XP/LLP. Their are more similarities than differences. These are three wonderful products. Made and designed by people that care and know how music sounds. Given a good source, all have a BLACK Background. Music well's from an empty space, that can be startling. Complex Music is effortless in playback, easily discerned. They draw the line, no more thinking Solid-State vs. Tube debate. They have the best qualities of both, and none of the drawback's. With all the balance is amazing. You can see to the edges of the recording venue. The differences are slight. The Solo has more sparkle in the top most frequencies. And it's bottom is solid but with bloom. The Lisa, on top, has a little less extension. But it's response is very clean and true to it's self. It's bass is stellar. You want an amp that doesn't cost that arm and leg to drive your Darth's. Not just drive them but give them life. This is it. You can achieve "concert" levels, and I ain't kiddin'. With no congestion, or stridency. I don't recommend those levels, but after a couple shots. Hendrix is calling. The G-Lite is neutral. What ever it's fed, is what your going to get. Which is my favorite, whatever one I'm listening to at the moment.

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 29
The only other transportable amp I know of besides the Lisa is the RSA XP-7. I don't recall anyone ever making a comparison. What I fail to understand is why the Lisa is compared to portables very often, and its anything but.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back