Is the Lisa III currently the best transportable?
Feb 11, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Lisa 3's batteries rechargable or easily excessable?

I hated the design of my old Headroom Micro for just that reason.

The XP has rechargable Pack installed. The Power Supply recharges and is a clean stable source for AC operation.

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 29
Does the regular Lisa III recharge the 9 volt batteries?

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By transportable, I mean battery powered amp that's not like toting around a VCR. I know there are some other amps and DACs out there that are battery powered, but they have like 40 9v batteries and are huge. I'm looking for something along the lines of the Lisa, where you COULD carry it around, but it's more at home on a desk like the Lisa is.

Listening to the Lisa III, I'm falling in love with the sound more than I initially thought, but am left curious if there's anything else out there that betters it that DOESN'T need to be plugged in.

Just straight SQ, is the Lisa pretty much the end all BEFORE it becomes a "home amp"? Especially in that price bracket?

The LISA III is the best battery powered amps I have ever heard. I also considered it as the best amp below US$1,000.

From my limited days in this circle I have not found an amp the provide the combination of resolution, balance across the whole frequency spectrum, smoothness, transparency and organic engagement in one single package - until I met the LISA III.

In the early days of my LISA ownership, I quickly compared it to some of my favorite amps. For those interested, you are read it here :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3194629-post274.html

Is the LISA III the best a battery powered amp can be ? - I would say almost. I am pretty certain the LISA III would be the pinnacle of opamp based headphone amp design. But I still believe the yet to come portacode (or whatever it may be named) will be another level of revelation in waiting.

F. Lo

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to have a "portable" that also scales the voltage swing needed for that extra kick needed, which is what home units have, besides the current but it often boils down to the voltage question. Even if a Lisa III was made into a home unit with more voltage I would still like to have a portable/transportable that could jump up say. . Go no further I can fill most of the needs. :^) I do think there are portables that do a great job but it is understood by most manufactures that you still don't have that extra voltage for the ultimate drive of home headphones.

Me too. I certainly would like to see a "Home" version of LISA III - one that can works with AC supply only - with the ultimate in power supply regulation to provide the quality power and a step jump in voltage swing and density to bring listening to a new level. Of course, I would love to see multiple input, gain selector and better volume pot..... and yet in a package still "transportable" easily from one location to an other.

I can only hope Phil is watching this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too. I certainly would like to see a "Home" version of LISA III - one that can works with AC supply only - with the ultimate in power supply regulation to provide the quality power and a step jump in voltage swing and density to bring listening to a new level. Of course, I would love to see multiple input, gain selector and better volume pot..... and yet in a package still "transportable" easily from one location to an other.

I can only hope Phil is watching this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Hey Guy's, when I connect the LLP. The battery's are out of the loop. It is a wonderful clean supply. You keep mentioning the dynamic swings and contrast. Have you heard the Lisa XP/LLP combo? You think Sennheisers are hard to drive? Any Stable Voltage base handles them. But the Darth's, if you don't have a stable current platform. And it's not clean and plenty on tap. The Darth's will wither and die, and sound horrible. They don't sound horrible with the Lisa.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Lisa III sounds better with LLP than without. I didn't get LLP, but I do use PSR with it.

You will have more than 1db drop in output when disconnected from the LLP.
And dynamics are stunted when on battery only. I recommend the LLP, because it is purpose made. Very very quiet, much better than a typical Wall-Wart.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 29
How do the DIY/Open-source designs compare to the Lisa? How about a PPAv2?

I'm considering a DIY design for a battery powered transportable, and the Lisa size is about the size I would like to be limited to, so that probably helps out a little, lol. Battery life, etc, not really factors if obviously I'm putting up with the Lisa's short battery life.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #26 of 29
the LISA III is more or less like a PPA V2 with two extra non switching bias current regulating diodes.

If you were to ask me, both are extremely similar. The PPA V2 does have the benefits of adjustable biasing though.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 29
The only thing I don't like about the PPAv2's is how TALL they look, as compared to the Lisa which is fairly slender. Also, all the PPAv2's seem to be wall powered....

I can't seem to find an estimate on how much they seem to cost from a builder. How CLOSE is the sound to a Lisa???

*edit* Like pictured below:

LISA III New Front Panel 019 - eSnips, share anything

I like how slender the new Lisa is, as it's not TOO bothersome to carry around. Carrying around that 1st gen Lisa, which appears to be the same size as all the DIY PPAv2 offerings, is just too big.

Basically, I need something that will primarily be a desk unit (ability to drive bigger cans, and will replace my portable as an "do both" amp), but HAS THE ABILITY to be carried in the pocket/bag AND has the bass knob. So battery life isn't a concern.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But I still believe the yet to come portacode (or whatever it may be named) will be another level of revelation in waiting.

F. Lo

i've started saving for the portacode...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back