Is the K701 the wrong cans for me? Or is it a amp issue?
May 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Kake

New Head-Fier
I’m currently the owner of a pair of k701, and I must say that they have yet to blow my mind away.
I bought my k701 based on reviews (I KNOW it’s not the way to do it,, but never the less it’s done)
Have read that they require many hours of burnin,, (And so I gave them that)

I also have a some low-end cans (Hd280Pro,, (to dark and boomy),, HD555,, Ok but nothing more,, BT770Pro a bit bassy but I kind of like the sound,)

Amps iBasso D1 (with upgraded opamps) and a Zero-Dac/Amp.
Sources computer or an original A8 cd player.

My “problem” with the k701 is that they (in my point of view and using my rig) lack dynamic.. Meaning I have to turn the volume knob higher than my ears (in the long run) considers healthy.

Q: Can a dedicated desktop amp help me with my problem or should I go hunting for a new pair of cans (perhaps a DT880?)
Witch entry level (read affordable) desktop amp can be recommended for the akg’s?

May 15, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 64
The 701's are a VERY analytical can. My main issues with them are a rather peaky upper mid, and a bit too leanness in the upper bass/lower mids. It's this characteristic that tends to rob the phone of what I like to call...an organic quality, i.e, lack of fullness, body, foundation.

It is still quite the transparent can, but needs a TON of break-in, and preferably a beefy tube amp to drive it.

Despite what you read, it actually does go deep in the lower bass....but it's the lack of impact in the mid-bass that has everyone thinking it has no bass. This does allow, however, for the phone to give very good detail on vocals, with no overhang, but I have to wonder if it managed to be a bit more meaty in the mid-bass, would that also take care of the slight, but very evident beaming in the upper mids/lower treble on the occasional closely-miked female vocal.

Anyway, you'd need a stout desktop amp regardless, tube preferrably.

My take...

May 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 64
Have to agree with CS...another way to really improve on them is to recable them (careful though...you'll want to listen to a few different ones to find a good match)...this cures a lot of the built-in low end issues nicely, while retaining the analytical quality.

May 15, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 64
The K701 needs a lot of decent power, not volume, but power in an amp to make it sound nice.

But for me, even when it was hooked up to uber-expensive tube amps, I felt that the K701 became so airy that not even tenor saxes had any weight to them. And that makes me a really sad mule.
frown.gif

May 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 64
The K701's are very demanding as far as amps are concerned. Yes, I would say you definitely need a better home amp to deliver the current the K701's need. Recabling is an option that would give you the least amount of improvement in comparison with upgrading a source or amp.

May 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

would that also take care of the slight, but very evident beaming in the upper mids/lower treble

You hear beaming in headphones? How's that work?

OP - As Morpheus said to Neo, "How deep into the rabbit hole do you want to go?"

You can take the blue pill and wake up to a pair of 701s for sale and a search for replacements that already sound good to you with the equipment you already have (have you tried HD595s? Dennons? Audio Technicas? ie: phones that are more efficient and more forward in presentation than 701s? An improvement upon, but not a complete departure from what you're used to?). You might even end up with some money in your pocket.

Or you can take the red pill, put $500 - $1,000 into a beefy tube amp (red meat is expensive in TubeTown), maybe a few hundred more into re-cabling, and you may end up with headphones that sound good to you.

Or maybe not.

More power may open the 701s up a bit a low volumes, gain a bit more control over transients, etc. But it won't change the basic sound signature of the cans. They'll still be distant and analytical. The rabbit hole is deep.

Tim

May 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 64
Amplification is the key to the K-701. I've never seen a portable with the specs to drive it. Tubes are good, but so is a stiff solid state amp. If you want to make your dollar go further, look for an amp in the For Sale Forum. DIY and custom amps are good, too. A 3 channel Beta22 would serve you well.

May 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 needs a lot of decent power, not volume, but power in an amp to make it sound nice.

But for me, even when it was hooked up to uber-expensive tube amps, I felt that the K701 became so airy that not even tenor saxes had any weight to them. And that makes me a really sad mule.
frown.gif

I found that too with my expensive tube amp as TheMarchingMule. With some tube rolling I was able to get it to be less airy. I haven't tried the K701 with my Beta22 yet, but the K701 will benefit from a good amp. I like tube amps for them, but a SS amp will work as well. Just more power for those cans would help.

Also, what type of music are you primarily listening to? Also, the K701s do require a fair amount of burn in. Some folks recommend 300 hours of burn in, but I did about 150+ with a burn in disc and there were improvement.

May 15, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You hear beaming in headphones? How's that work?

glare, peaky, exaggeration, rise, spike....any term you care to use for unnatural....if you will.
wink.gif
I'll stop just short of piercing.

Sounds EXACTLY like a Martin Logan just a 1/4" off from the sweet spot....

May 15, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 64
I actually listen to my 701s using my speaker amp's headphone amp. To me, it does better than a few standalone(and somewhat expensive standalone) amps have done. I imagine that supplies them with a ton of power.

May 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 64
I A/B'ed K701 & HD600 on my Hornet. It's true that portable amps like the Hornet are not able to drive K701 well. On this setup HD600 simply blew K701 away in impact, bass, details, and instruments separation. The differences aren't that noticeable on certain classical music but become obvious when listen to rock/hard rock/pop. Yes the Hornet can drive both to painfully high volume but does a poor job driving the K701. I hope my K701 will improve - since so many raved about it on head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
- once I acquire my first desktop amp.

p.s. Unfortunately the Darkvoice production line in China is affected by the great earthquake. I've heard that production is halt indefinitely... Guess I have to buy 2nd hand
frown.gif

May 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m currently the owner of a pair of k701, and I must say that they have yet to blow my mind away.
I bought my k701 based on reviews (I KNOW it’s not the way to do it,, but never the less it’s done)
Have read that they require many hours of burnin,, (And so I gave them that)

I also have a some low-end cans (Hd280Pro,, (to dark and boomy),, HD555,, Ok but nothing more,, BT770Pro a bit bassy but I kind of like the sound,)

Amps iBasso D1 (with upgraded opamps) and a Zero-Dac/Amp.
Sources computer or an original A8 cd player.

My “problem” with the k701 is that they (in my point of view and using my rig) lack dynamic.. Meaning I have to turn the volume knob higher than my ears (in the long run) considers healthy.

Q: Can a dedicated desktop amp help me with my problem or should I go hunting for a new pair of cans (perhaps a DT880?)
Witch entry level (read affordable) desktop amp can be recommended for the akg’s?

To directly answer your question, I think the K701s are the wrong headphones for you, and many others. This is becoming a "sad truth" for too many users. In your situation, it would be better to go hunting for a different set of headphones, more to your liking. IMHO, YMMV.

May 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #15 of 64
Thx @all for replying :)

I guess that I most likely will keep the K701 and buy an amp, and if I'm still not happy with the sound either sell them and buy another pair of cans (or just keep stockpiling cans..)

Q: Newer the less I'm going to buy a amp.. Anny one have an god suggestion for the K701.. not too pricey.. and preferably a "warm" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back