Is the HD800 a huge improvement over the K701/K702?
Jun 5, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #31 of 110
The German hifi magazine stereoplay has tested the HD 800 and scored as follows:
Stereoplay, das Magazin für Hifi, Surround und Musik - drahtgebunden

In the next issue the HD 800 and the Edition 8 will be benchmarked.
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh. There was a lot of talk about the "production models being different" because people were unimpressed.
Then there was a lot of "oh it must be my amp", and now there are a few people saying it Wow'ed them.

Where? The production model, apart from a change of paint, is, as far as I know, identical to the pre-production ones. I've been following the HD-800 closely, both as I've bought a pair, and to keep a blog entry with links to people's impressions for everyone's benefit, and I haven't seen any mention of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 will not impress you initially if you are not used to a top-tier headphone. I almost sent them back, and I would have had I not been able to try them on approx. 40 amps at CanJam; I was used to the Denon sound. But once you have these on your head for awhile, you won't be able to take them off. My beloved modded D5000 have now taken up residence in a shoebox. Only my HD800 and K702 (with Cryoparts custom cable, and yes it makes a big difference to the K702) are out for use. The D5000 will require a lot more modding before they are even a worthy little brother.

And yes, the HD800 is a huge improvement over the K702 (even with a good recable).

The HD800 also need about 30-50 hours of burn-in to open up.

The same goes for Stax. If you're used to a certain sound, the Denon sound being one in particular, then a lot of good headphones sound very boring afterwards. I couldn't stand AT's, for example, until I'd not used my Denons for some time, and used HD-600s and Stax for a while instead.

It's important to know also what is actually not sounding good, not even just saying "Oh, the HD-800s don't sound good because of your amp". If your rig isn't sounding good when you're using the HD-800s, you have to identify what in particular is going on, and then, preferably after some hours of listening to a variety of music. I've owned K701s as well, and at one stage I couldn't stand my rig because of the coldness. The problem was my DAC was an Apogee Duet, which, being a pro-audio piece of kit, produces a rather "cold and analytical" sound, which wasn't a match for the K701s.

I've heard of people building the most neutral and un-coloured hi-fi rigs possible, in response to which, people found them utterley boring. We do get used to the distortion and colouration of our gear, and a neutral presentation can be a shock the first time, and not always a good one depending on our tastes.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #34 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where? The production model, apart from a change of paint, is, as far as I know, identical to the pre-production ones. I've been following the HD-800 closely, both as I've bought a pair, and to keep a blog entry with links to people's impressions for everyone's benefit, and I haven't seen any mention of this

Different pads that "change everything!!1" from what i read. In one of the big threads.

lol @ the hifi mag that links the bose QC3 only slightly lower than the HD800.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 also need about 30-50 hours of burn-in to open up.

I find it a little odd that there has never been a headphone that sounded "just right", straight out of the box, and then sounded not as good after 60 hours of burn-in. Surely it should have happened at least once. Grado puts a formula on the diaphragms of their top tier phones to control resonance, yet even those apparently need 100 hours of break-in. And if you listen at low volumes would you ever break that diaphragm in?

I hope to get to audition the HD800 but I can't see how that's gonna happen. No audio shop is going to carry it. Maybe we could start a loaner program for it
wink_face.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #36 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it a little odd that there has never been a headphone that sounded "just right", straight out of the box, and then sounded not as good after 60 hours of burn-in. Surely it should have happened at least once. Grado puts a formula on the diaphragms of their top tier phones to control resonance, yet even those apparently need 100 hours of break-in. And if you listen at low volumes would you ever break that diaphragm in?

I hope to get to audition the HD800 but I can't see how that's gonna happen. No audio shop is going to carry it. Maybe we could start a loaner program for it
wink_face.gif

Yes, there is hps that sounded "just right", straight out of the box.
They call GMP 8.35 D Monitor.

lol...loaner program for HD800, I'm in.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #37 of 110
Loaner really? Who would be willing to risk loaning their HD800? Never mind being paranoid about how another Head-Fier will treat them, but all the accidents, not intended may occur. And well, we all have heard enough disaster stories with headphones and amps in shipping.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #38 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loaner really? Who would be willing to risk loaning their HD800? Never mind being paranoid about how another Head-Fier will treat them, but all the accidents, not intended may occur. And well, we all have heard enough disaster stories with headphones and amps in shipping.

Sennheiser the company need to be willing to make a nice loaning program for the HD800s. I mean if they want to sale in this price range.
wink.gif

It will be super smart for the company to do so, and we can get a better chance to get the right impression.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #39 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser the company need to be willing to make a nice loaning program for the HD800s. I mean if they want to sale in this price range.
wink.gif

It will be super smart for the company to do so, and we can get a better chance to get the right impression.

I think the crazy advertisement and hype makes trying the headphones unnecessary. People buy them anyway.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #41 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the crazy advertisement and hype makes trying the headphones unnecessary. People buy them anyway.

Yep, is crazy... people buy them without even to listen to them.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #42 of 110
Quote:

wink.gif

Every dealer should have a demo pair and I know of one prospective buyer who has told me his dealer will allow him to take them home for a full experience on his own equipment.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who in this thread actually owns both the HD800 and K701/702?

Me, but I haven't made any comments.. Everything I have learned is from my OWN trial and errors and feel most people should do the same.

Sure I get excited by peoples postings and it helps pull that trigger finger, but in the end - it is my self that pays the credit card bill or sells them on to someone who might appreciate them more than I.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every dealer should have a demo pair and I know of one prospective buyer who has told me his dealer will allow him to take them home for a full experience on his own equipment.

Well...maybe you can start a program.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #45 of 110
Quote:

Yep, is crazy... people buy them without even to listen to them.

rolleyes.gif

Yep, damn that Ferrari company. I've been thinking about buying an F430 Scuderia but they won't let me try it on the track for the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back