Is that headphone worth it?
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

killz23

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering whether you guys have any particular headphone that gave you the impression that it's not worth your money/time/effort?

I'll start off (hopefully no one blasts me for saying this :p):

Audio Technica AD700

In my opinion, I really regretted getting that pair because I researched hours and hours on Head-fi and various other forums only to find that the quality wasn't even close to what I was expecting.

I'm sure there are many absolutely glowing reviews about this pair of cans on the internet, but I just don't think it's worth the hype.

Just my 2 cents :)

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 43
For me pretty much any Grado can I have ever bought / tried....  Can't stand them.  The sound makes your ear drums bleed and the pads  sand off your ear skin.   Not to mention they are built with the quality of a cheep Chinese toy. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 43
HD555. They really suck the life out of the music, even though they would seem to be a great deal compared to the HD595 as they have the same drivers. I can only conclude that the HD595 also sucks.
YMMV, of course
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 43

Quote:
I'm wondering whether you guys have any particular headphone that gave you the impression that it's not worth your money/time/effort?

I'll start off (hopefully no one blasts me for saying this :p):

Audio Technica AD700

In my opinion, I really regretted getting that pair because I researched hours and hours on Head-fi and various other forums only to find that the quality wasn't even close to what I was expecting.

I'm sure there are many absolutely glowing reviews about this pair of cans on the internet, but I just don't think it's worth the hype.

Just my 2 cents :)

it's worth the hype, only if you like the sound signature of AD700 
biggrin.gif

but yah... just like grado, the lovers and the haters always around us

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 43
I have to agree about them for music. If you try them for movies, it is a completely different story.

I bought ESW9s and am happy and think the money I paid was ok for their sound.

Quote:
HD555. They really suck the life out of the music, even though they would seem to be a great deal compared to the HD595 as they have the same drivers. I can only conclude that the HD595 also sucks.
YMMV, of course
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 43
I was very disappointed by the Sennheiser HD215's. It wasn't that the sound was bad as such, it just that I'd had headphones which cost me half the price which gave me a better sound. They have next to no bass at all and they hardly block out any outside noise which really defeats the purpose of them being closed headphones.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 43
My first headphones were Sennheiser HD200s that I paid $130 for locally....their sound quality was comparable to $30 headphones. My first (and only) IEMs are Shure SE210s which I also hate.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 43
Sony MDR7506 for me.  I like a fairly analytical, neutral phone, but I can't stand the 7506 signature, and I don't know why everyone studio on the planet seems to favor them for their cue-mixes.  I find them tight, cold, compressed, unmusical and not particularly comfortable either (which is kind of a big deal if you're doing 8 hours of tracking). 

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 43
Top contenders for what I thought would be good that wasn't:
Alessandro MS-Pro
Grado PS-1, GS-1000
AKG K601, K701
Beyerdynamic DT880
AudioTechnica A900, AD2000

Just so it doesn't sound like I'm bashing everything, the following were absolutely worth it
Grado RS-1
AKG K271, K240
Beyerdynamic DT770
AudioTechnica W5000 (and most of the other wood series)
Denon D5000

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 43
AD700 is not a bad headphone, per se. But compared to my other headphones, ie. HD555, KSC75, D2000..I think it definitely pales in comparison..

Mostly because I don't like the sound signature at all..

Another pair that I don't like is DT880..I didn't like the "dry" sound signature, sounded like music had its life sucked out of it through the DT880..

YMMV :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 43

Quote:
For me pretty much any Grado can I have ever bought / tried....  Can't stand them.  The sound makes your ear drums bleed and the pads  sand off your ear skin.   Not to mention they are built with the quality of a cheep Chinese toy. 

Wow, grados were that uncomftorable for you?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 43

Quote:
I can't wear them for a full album, if that gives you an idea of how badly they fit some people.

I have read accounts of some people here who love their sound, but were put off by their uncomfortability. Probably the one thing thats scared me off from buying the 325is.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 43
I've only owned the SR-80, but I've listened to the SR-225 at a meet. I can't say I like the signature, but after selling the SR80 pretty quickly I doubt I'll even give the other models a chance to win me with sound because of the fit they all seem to share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back