Is Steve Jobs an Audiophile?
Mar 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 83
The ipod is a decent player. In fact, it's pretty much always been the best of the mass market players. And offers a line out when most others don't. And even has the option of adding a digital out via a dock. Macs all have optical outs as well. Then there's the kmixer vs core sound comparison. Really hard to argue that jobs and/or apple aren't audiophile friendly.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 83
After the launch of the iPod Stero speaker dock he went public stating that he was now getting rid of his stereo rig as an iPod + iPod Stereo was all anybody needed

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Steve’s most famous home is probably his Woodside mansion, which he bought in 1984 and in which he lived throughout the 1990s. The house was famous for its grandiose dimensions (it was the party house of a copper magnate) and, especially, for its total lack of furniture.

This is one aspect of Steve’s personality that hasn’t changed in decades: he is such a perfectionist that he can never decide on what to buy, thus ends up buying nothing. As a bachelor he only had a mattress, huge Ansel Adams prints, and a [size=medium]super-expensive stereo system [/size]as pieces of furtniture. He did not sleep on a bed for years — even though he was a multi-millionaire. At Woodside the kitchen was the only room that was fully furnished. He did have a Bosendorfer grand piano and a BMW motorcycle in his living room however, testaments of his love of German engineering.

Sure he is ... :)

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
his setup is: ipod>fiiO>T1
he is a very knowledgeable audiophile

I think if he was an audiophile ipod would be a decent portable player without any modifications. So I think its safe to assume he's no audiophile although he might enjoy music just as any of us.

Selling a gadget to masses is his job, having just a couple pieces of furniture and top Hi-Fi in the room - this is audiophile ...

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 83
Also keep in mind that Macs had great sound, even at the very beginning. I can't recall the specifics of the early ones, but the sound was a big selling point back in the day.

Trash the iPod if you want, but no product has transformed music this much since the CD. It's actually a pretty good player, as long as you use headphones/IEMs that fall in line with its output power. As much as I love vinyl, tubes and big electrostatic panels, the iPod with IEMs makes me happy, too.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #23 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also keep in mind that Macs had great sound, even at the very beginning. I can't recall the specifics of the early ones, but the sound was a big selling point back in the day.

Trash the iPod if you want, but no product has transformed music this much since the CD. It's actually a pretty good player, as long as you use headphones/IEMs that fall in line with its output power. As much as I love vinyl, tubes and big electrostatic panels, the iPod with IEMs makes me happy, too.

Absolutely. Well said.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #25 of 83
Wouldn't be surprised if Jobs doesn't show up in some picture with Bowers and Wilkins headphones on. Nice tie in to the the apple store selling this HP.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #26 of 83
My mbp actually has background noise on sensitive headphones. I think if they cared for mac user using headphones, they would at least try to avoid that.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mbp actually has background noise on sensitive headphones. I think if they cared for mac user using headphones, they would at least try to avoid that.

It's a computer. Aside from purpose built systems, you're going ot have noise. Apple at least provides bit perfect optical IO.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a computer. Aside from purpose built systems, you're going ot have noise. Apple at least provides bit perfect optical IO.

Well, I should hope so. They're marketed pretty heavily to artists, especially producers, video editors, etc. Would be pretty rotten to advertise them as the perfect laptops for aspiring film and music makers, charge $1800, and then provide the same low-fi jack any $500 HP is going to have.

After all, if the argument that iPods sound bad because they're mass-marketed is allowed any weight, then the argument that Macbooks sound good because they're niche-marketed has to be thrown in too.

Hehe, I love how poor Gates's thread is getting no action at all. Is it because there's lots of Apple fans here, or is it because this question is so much more interesting when posed towards arguably the biggest face in consumer audio? I say both.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a while the apple stores in the local area stocked high end shure headphones, sennheiser, and AKG. I say stocked, because I cant say sold.

Although both of these men may be audiophiles, they are also businessmen responsible for companies they have not managed to sink yet. A large part of that is being an adult, putting your personal desires aside, and saying "whats good for my company"?

If they personally like high-fi audio, thats awesome! should they stock headphones that probably dont appeal to the same demographic as the rest of their product?

spot on spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back