Is Steve Jobs an Audiophile?
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the launch of the iPod Stero speaker dock he went public stating that he was now getting rid of his stereo rig as an iPod + iPod Stereo was all anybody needed

I remember some other übergeek stating that 640K ought to be enough for anybody...

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #32 of 83
how to we view Headroom? Do you consider them any less of audiophiles if they sell skullcandy products? It's just business.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #34 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember some other übergeek stating that 640K ought to be enough for anybody...

Headroom underrates very good products like Shure SRH 840.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how to we view Headroom? Do you consider them any less of audiophiles if they sell skullcandy products? It's just business.

Yes, you're probably right. Sometimes I just wish this whole capitalism or corporatism somehow wasn't how it all worked.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
steve-jobs-at-home-1982.jpg

I have always heard that Steve Jobs was, and is an audiophile. The speakers in the photo look like Acoustat Electrostatics and I believe the turntable is an Oracle. The Photo appears to be from around 1983. Could this be the controversial house he now wants to demolish?

Ken

AppleInsider | Apple's Steve Jobs gets OK to raze dilapidated mansion

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #38 of 83
Is this a trick question?

I am serious, are you doing some kind of research for a project, or marketing department?

Look at what apple under Steve has done. The mac platform is not even the production box of choice anymore. Apple has been a joke to anyone seriously into sound, both listening and production for a while now. The over-arching theme is always the same "why limit one's self when one does not need to, since there is nothing a mac can do that a PC cannot."

The iPhone was not an innovation, nor was the ipod. Smartphones were already here, and mp3 players existed before the ipod. Apple is a marketing innovator, as they have managed to sell so many devices over the years, and users are generally willing to settle with the restrictions placed on them and the software that support them.

Back to the question. If Steve was an audiophile, the ipod would have followed a far different evolution, and iTunes would not be a piece of crap, only useful as a syncing app for the OSX handsets, because as a playback system it is very far from free, and even open source (which rarely actually hits the mark, but while I prefer winamp, foobar certainly represents what a software playback system should embody)!

Steve had on his store, music that had to be approved, of course, because it took a bit before more than just the majors had a crack at the wonderful 128k aac files. 128k! Even at 256k, aac will revealing artifacting, even on an apple handset the m4a/ps were designed for. Apple lossless is good, but why not just use FLAC? Even SONY has included more than just it's memory stick as an option on devices. They allowed non atrac onto minidisc, meaning, it became a pretty good little platform. Everyone got up in arms over sony copy protection, but were so glad to pay apple for 128k aac files, about the same price per song for an actual CD.

When they removed DRM, get this, they charges a 30 cent fee for every single song you already bought with DRM, to strip the DRM, on top of that, not everything is in 256k aac, though it has gotten a lot better, when apple was championed for raising the bitrate, it was pretty much top 40 only for a long time.

Steve may be one of the greatest marketing geniuses of our time, he may have a sense of design philosophy, that when it is not a one button mouse, or clickless mouse, or whatever his obsession with annoying mice, (mighty mouse little trackball was interesting idea, but the lack of actual buttons, just two would have been great, ends it for me, because touch sensitive stuff doesn't work right, not everyone's skin is that of a wealthy man), anyway, he may have pushed the idea of a deeper focus on form and function, driving the rest of the market forward, he may have even saved apple from doom when he left NEXT to become head again, but everything he has done, or had others do, has never been in the interest of the consumer.

Think for a moment and you can see that even the "credit" he gets for opening the digitall music market up, really makes little sense, since people had been trying to do this for years prior, but again, steve is, perhaps one of the greatest pitchmen, sorry billy mayes, but steve and his design team have, through even things like disney and pixar, is probably someone that will be looked at in the future as one of the greatest marketing executlives of this age.

There is, however, no evidence what-so-ever that he has any interest in high end audio, if you back up from looking at steve as this billionaire genius that saved a dying company and pushed other companies into improving their design, thus making it better for us in the long run, back up from that and look at what he has offered in terms of audio since he returned to apple. That is not the path of an audiophile. He is the great white shark of marketing, and it shows if you are even genuinely asking this question. The man behind the curtain, has pushed inferior distribution protocol, weak software, hardware that, really, wasn't any better than the competition, and in some cases, the things left out of the various ipod revisions that were so easily included in other players made the product a weaker choice. Steve wants you to buy an ipod to use itunes, not the other way around, which is why he had set up such a closed system. Even the phone, again, apple must approve. Musicians and Developers cannot stand this, and have been slowly stepping away from the platform. With an open platform they can introduce what they want without restriction, but more importantly, know what is coming. Apple could change their entire API tomorrow with no notice, breaking many many apps, and they can do it because what else can a dev do if they want to port to that platform? Basically, just deal with having to work with the nebulous apple, or move to something without "one more thing" hiding around the corner to take your business away.

I will make this short version. What type of listening device does an apple player come with? Do people wear these because they sound good, or as a statement of style? Does itunes sell lossless without DRM, and allow any band to add music to the store to sell, still allowing apple their commission... or does apple have to approve first, hinting that steve doesn't care where the most innovation in music is at, so long as the lables are happy?

The only thing that can be said with truth about him being one, is using the past tense.

/rant

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #39 of 83
Yay look at the Mac supporters and the Mac haters go!

I never thought this would have happened.......

WHO CARES, Macs aren't crap and they aren't the greatest thing either. End of story.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, I view them a bit differently then before. I used to trust their reviews, and thought they were free of all the marketing BS you find in this hobby/industry. But how can I believe their reviews now, especially when they give the Smokin' Buds a stellar review?

I'm all for companies making money. But I would think integrity should count as well, given how pricey this stuff has become.

@yashu: Great post.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #41 of 83
I dont really care for mac myself but macs interface is simpler than Windows imo. However.. Apple sells people high powered computers for high prices to people that dont need them. My friend just bought a 27" Mac, point proven.

Agreed that the heads of Apple are marketing gurus..

Still, doesn't mean Steve Jobs cant be an audiophile as mentioned before

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 83
Fair enough, but as busy as he is/was, I can't see him in a dedicated listening room with some high end gear, since affording it is not even anything that needs to be considered, what would be is *time*.

I feel that, if steve was an audiophile, the ipod really truly would have taken a different road, since steve is always on the road, and he has no problem making design decisions on personal preference, so if he did the same with the ipod, and accepts it for what it is, he certainly is an iphone user, so anyhing about it would have changed if he wanted it to change. Since his products are not designed for this niche, and since he, unlike most CEOs, takes a very active role in design direction, I would say he is currently not as interested in music these days.

On film, it appears he should be worrying about his health. He also should have fired whoever signed off on the final design of the ipad, unless, like a typical design/engineering/approval process, he layed down his john hancock and out it went. I doubt that happened, but I have worked in design departments where managers try to take more of a role in the design, and it usually doesn't work out so well. I can't imagine anyone telling steve "no" to a suggestion. It is hard enough to tell middle management something is wrong, or a bad idea, however steve carries this marketing bubble that if HE says it, it must be good. Gates abd Ballmer never had that, but windows 7, is finallly the MS follow up we deserved.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #43 of 83
First, I love that photo of Jobs.

Second, I have no idea if he's an audiophile, but I would have to guess he is. He kind of fits the profile, doesn't he (likes music, perfectionist, geeky)?

I do remember him going on a bit about the Apple iBoomBox or whatever the hell it was called. Didn't he even say it was "audiophile" quality? Of course, that's major fail, but for a major manufacturer of computer products/gadgets to even bother to aspire to that--hell, to even say the word--hints to me that he is at least an audio enthusiast.

He should pop over here for a visit.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #44 of 83
How iPod vs Walkman?

From time to time I hear people say that Walkman sound quality is wwwaaayyy better than that of an iPod.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #45 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From time to time I hear people say that Walkman sound quality is wwwaaayyy better than that of an iPod.

From time to time I hear lots of BS about lots of things.

From time to time I hear people say that they prefer driving their honda's to their ford mustangs. you see what I did there? I associated the Honda NSX with the econo-box baker honda and a known single product that is well regarded for straight line acceleration. Until you read this paragraph you said "well durr thats obvious" thinking about the civic and accord maybe even the prelude and CRX if you are old enough to remember them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back