Is Steve Jobs an Audiophile?
Mar 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for an example of Godwin's law in this thread. I'll give it maybe one or two pages unless moderator action is taken.

That made me laugh.....Cheers

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incorrect, fully an assumption, typical fan boy propaganda. You people who try to pass your opinion off as truth or fact are pathetic.

You need to learn that it doesn't matter what you prefer or what you think sounds better as far as what is a better product. Different people have different personal guidelines as to what sounds good, thus making it very relative and not something anyone can pin point.

The correct way to evaluate a dap or a headphone is to give information on how it sounds aka ipods have a colder sound and emphasizes the mids and highs and a reces in the low mids and the low end.

This is good for some people who like that sound signature, it doesn't make it any better. If you make a bias view your opinion holds a lot less weight.

So, having said that, what you're really acknowledging is that it's possible that the iPod is indeed better.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #63 of 83
Umm I think the thread was about Steve Jobs originally.
smily_headphones1.gif
PersonallyI think that room in the pic needs some damping, maybe some nice drapes (or curtains to the rest of the English speaking world) over those big old windows. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'd just moved in or something. I like the lamp.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #64 of 83
Personally...I see him sipping on some weird coffe-esque drink listening to ibuds.....either that or a pair of senns....don't know why.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #65 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, having said that, what you're really acknowledging is that it's possible that the iPod is indeed better.

Anything is possible, but is it likely? Not in my opinion.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #66 of 83
Okay since I talked about Godwin's law, I have to say that I like the ipod and the iphone. I've listened to the sansa, a cowon and a rio (WAAAY back when) and I loved them all. Mainly the reason I have the ipod and iphone was a combination of convenience and chance. There was a deal at my school store and so I got an ipod, and my work has cheap contracts with AT&T and I liked that whole visual voicemail thing (so does my mom, because it means I actually listen to her voicemail lol). That being said they are good players for me. Not for everyone (I hate the no FLAC) but for what they are I don't mind them. Now if you need or want something different out of your player then you shouldn't get them

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #67 of 83
I own 4 ipods (mini, nano 3g, 30gb video, iphone 3gs) and i liked them just fine before i got my clip+ which i prefer for its more warm sound and better EQ. I love my iphone, most handy phone and video player I've used but i don't listen to music on it and i don't use my other ipods anymore they sit in a drawer.

It's just personal preference imo, that is the only point i was making i dislike people who say "x is the best" because It's ignorant and uninformed.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #68 of 83
Quite. Horses for courses.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #70 of 83
I hate to see Godwin go to waste. Steve Jobs waxing rhapsodic about the iPad is like getting a love letter with quotations from Mein Kampf: an exercise in utter absurdity.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #71 of 83
Who at Apple was responsible or the initiator for bringing us gapless playback on the iPod? Whoever it is, they're my hero. I wouldn't necessarily consider them an audiophile for making that feature happen, but I would consider them a music lover.

And yeah, other players do gapless as well. The Zune and some others. Does that mean Bill Gates is an audiophile too? How about the executives at the other companies?

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #74 of 83
Here's an article covering the iPod HiFi introduction: MacDailyNews - Stereophile senior editor: Apple iPod Hi-Fi 'produces glorious sound'

Quote:

Originally Posted by article
"When Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the new iPod Hi-Fi on Feb. 28 by saying 'I'm an audiophile. I've had stereos costing -- well, I won't say -- but a lot, [and] I'm actually getting rid of my stereo,' he offended the tender sensibilities of audiophiles worldwide. To disappointed, tech-oriented 'gadget-geeks,' the iPod Hi-Fi appeared to be nothing more than a bulky, white boom box -- and at $349, an expensive one," Michael Fremer, Stereophile senior contributing editor, writes for The Record.

I recall Jobs made a bunch of similar statements around the introduction. And of course it could just be so much puffery and marketing mumbo jumbo, but I guess my earlier point stands--I don't think many similarly-situated CEOs would care about tapping the "audiophile" market; from a big electronics manufacturer standpoint, there just isn't much to be gained.

So my guess still is that Jobs is an audiophile. And at the very least, he seems to think he is.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Email sent to Steve Jobs (or what is supposedly his email address).

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #75 of 83
Why do people associate Steve Jobs selling nonaudiophile stuff as meaning he is not an audiophile? I mean, I could name all sorts of crazy characters who were into high fidelity who either directly or indirectly ruined hi-fi audio for other people. It's not even a form of hypocrisy, because being an audiophile does not mean you have to help others enjoy being audiophiles or whatever.

My definition of audiophile is if you've spent sufficient time worrying about whether product A or product B would be better in your audio setup. Rich people who buy things and never worry again are not audiophiles, only those who do wonder about what could be improved are. If Steve has fretted for hours about improving his audio setup then he's an audiophile to me, regardless of the sound quality of the gadgets he pushes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back