is my source/amp good enough to power HD800?
Mar 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 10
The HD-800 should be powered by a desktop amp. Portables just don't have enough power to do them justice. Read Boomana's guide if you need an explanation.

Personally and anecdotally, it seems that the HD-800 is happiest with a good tube amp. They are not inexpensive, but tubes generally bring out the best in the HD-800.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 10
I've had amazing results from my b22/s22 and feel it's at least on par with my WA6SE and has advantages over the Woo. I've heard it with the Leben and a Decware rig also. All of them petty damn special. I just slightly prefer the b22. Of course the tubes vs solid state debate is a subjective one. One that won't be solved in this thread. What I will say is that I believe it takes a serious amp to get the most out of the HD800.

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't have enough experience with the 801 to know if it's a good source for the price, but it's certainly not bad. I have listened to the SR-71B driving HD-600s, which have similar amplification requirements to the HD-800. It wasn't anywhere close to powerful enough. Any desktop amp will be better. If you are on a budget, the Sheer Audio HA-006 (dynalo) will power it well. Others have got good results with the Schitt Asgard, but I have not heard this combination myself.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand 

"Your portable rig will make the 800s sing.  Will it push them to their best... maybe not.  But it wouldn't sound bad by any stretch."

Do you have experience with the OP's setup to make that statement? I've driven the HD800 with many sources and amps and I feel the HD800 needs a desktop amp to power them properly. Please state your specific experience.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 10
I think iBasso PB2  is more powerfull portable AMPs and XM5 with T/I BUF634 can put out one watt too.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:Originally Posted by helpinghand 

"First off I don't need experience with his source or amp to make that statement, (it's why there were so many conditionals).  
But to appease anyways,
I've heard the 800s with a HeadRoom Airhead with an iPod LOD as a source and the combo was awesome.  The 650s behave the same way with HeadRooms entry level portable stuff.  It's a smooth, relaxed presentation that I really enjoyed.  Is it the best I've heard from those headphones, nope.  But it was in no way bad, disappointing or un-involving.  I know it gets better, and I would bet the OP does too, but that wasn't his question.  He asked if they would be worthwhile, not their best.  So my answer to his question is perfectly fine."

I've had the Total Airhead together with the HD650 and felt it was a poor match. I had iBasso D2+ Boa with the HD800 and felt it was a poor match. Neither were driven close to their respective potentials. IMHO, and the opinion of many others, the HD800 needs a desk amp to fully drive them. Why would you spend $1k+ on a headphone to cheap out on a poorly matched portable amp?

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Your portable rig will make the 800s sing.  Will it push them to their best... maybe not.  But it wouldn't sound bad by any stretch.  

+1 

Even connected directly to my Squeezebox Touch, my HD800 sounds great.

Quote:
He asked if they would be worthwhile, not their best.  So my answer to his question is perfectly fine.  

+1

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 10
People need to chillax...

Hd800 out of a udac works. It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. I guess I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. The view others have is that you should spend the money on a hd600 and buy a better amp and source. I followed that path and I'm not at the end yet :).

Oh and not everyone loves the hd800.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
People need to chillax...   +1
It certainly sounds pretty good to most people who haven't heard it out of something better. It still sounds good, even if you have heard it out of something better...
I'm trying to say that it will probably sound great to you because you don't have anything to compare it with. I have some good stuff to compare with (akg k1000 and O2 Mk1) and I still think that the HD800 sound great out of my Squeezebox Touch... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back