Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Oct 16, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #318 of 421
I'm more interested in the sound quality differences. Anyone? I'm also interested hearing opinions about the klotz cable.

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #320 of 421
OK guys, is it really worth upgrading Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 cables? Will a thicker more expensive cable make a sonic difference? Well check out this pic and see just how thin those filament wires are that connect to the driver. Then make your decision. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #321 of 421
  OK guys, is it really worth upgrading Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 cables? Will a thicker more expensive cable make a sonic difference? Well check out this pic and see just how thin those filament wires are that connect to the driver. Then make your decision. 

now I need to upgrade to silver coil!!!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #323 of 421

Some cable believers, particularly the power cord aficionados, will tell you that replacing cable anywhere in the chain will reduce signal degradation and improve sound. You don't have to replace all the power wires between the plant and your rig to improve the sound, for example.

Those people are still delusional, of course. I'm just explaining why your argument might not work on them
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #324 of 421
To some people it only seems perfectly logical that if you change the conducting material, it must also change the sound.

It must blow their minds then, if I were to say that if you made a cable out of plutonium (yes, it does conduct, about as well as nichrome does), and the electrical properties were within reason the same as those of that bog standard HD600 cable, then they will also sound exactly the same.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #325 of 421
You do realize that the soundstage also is contained within the signal, right? If the signal isn't degraded (and you would need some truly awful cables to degrade the signal audibly), there's no difference in any part of the sound.

I think I am in total agreement with you here. Sorry for late response. I think now its time to get real and really go to sources that can enhance a headphone listening experience. Check this out.
http://thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1/

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #326 of 421
I think I am in total agreement with you here. Sorry for late response. I think now its time to get real and really go to sources that can enhance a headphone listening experience. Check this out.
http://thesubpac.com/order/subpac-s1/

That's the price of a good subwoofer with onboard amp and crossover. If you wanted full-body low frequencies, why not just use an actual subwoofer in tandem with headphones? 

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #327 of 421
Its not easy to get all opinions being 100% true.  You would have to take into mind that the people who made the purchase and spent good money doing so have a coloured  view leaning toward "yes, cables make a better difference"   Then we have the Big Fat Audio HiFi  Market who pay people with freebies to write a good review, plane tickets, world cruises.  I have been on any number of forums in which those who make the profits actually are those who founded the forum to begin with, pay out in prizes, freebies to  forum members ....
In my opinion I try to read many,many personal views about the headphones or amps I want and glean what seems true and relevant. 
With all that, still its easy to be fooled. Best just to listen to the headphones themselves and check the forum for brand problems.

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #328 of 421
  Its not easy to get all opinions being 100% true.  You would have to take into mind that the people who made the purchase and spent good money doing so have a coloured  view leaning toward "yes, cables make a better difference"   Then we have the Big Fat Audio HiFi  Market who pay people with freebies to write a good review, plane tickets, world cruises.  I have been on any number of forums in which those who make the profits actually are those who founded the forum to begin with, pay out in prizes, freebies to  forum members ....
In my opinion I try to read many,many personal views about the headphones or amps I want and glean what seems true and relevant. 
With all that, still its easy to be fooled. Best just to listen to the headphones themselves and check the forum for brand problems.

You can summarize most of that with the word bias. The funny thing about bias though is that many people think they're not susceptible to it.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #330 of 421
  To some people it only seems perfectly logical that if you change the conducting material, it must also change the sound.

It must blow their minds then, if I were to say that if you made a cable out of plutonium (yes, it does conduct, about as well as nichrome does), and the electrical properties were within reason the same as those of that bog standard HD600 cable, then they will also sound exactly the same.

I have some communist friends who might be in the market for your wares, sir.

Back in the day I got a Cardas cable for my HD580s. It didn't make a bit of difference but I told myself it did because hey, who wants to spend $$ and feel duped? Nowadays I accept that perhaps Sennheiser knows how good a cable they need to put on their headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back