Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Oct 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #286 of 421
I hate to tell ya, but a specific answer to this area can't be given because its all relative to what your sources are and just how analytical they are (amps/DAC's).

You quoted a specific cable and amp (Moon audio's V2 black dragon and ALO) and a specific set of headphones (HD-800). Let's start there. What does the cable do? Better response, distortion, dynamic range, what?

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #287 of 421
Aesthetics play a huge role. Not overall SQ.

Didn't you say it would improve the sound quality by 2 to 7%? Perhaps I'm not reading you correctly. Are you saying there is no audible difference, the cable is just pretty?

I have a theory about people who argue that cables make an audible improvement. I think deep down, they know that cables make no difference whatsoever. They just have some sort of ego/status symbol/power deal that makes them argue that up is down and black is white. I am actually interested in finding out why you would argue that cables make 2 to 7% difference, and then turn around and say it's just aesthetics. Can you explain that to me, because I am genuinely curious.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #288 of 421
Jeezus, if upgrading a cable is solely for bling, then you could've shortened all of your posts into one sentence, nephilim. You know that's not what we're after here, so stop beating around the bush.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #289 of 421
I think that outside of Sound Science illogical things are said so often, people begin to believe them and not question them. "you need resolving equipment to hear a difference" "being an audiophile is about perfecting the last 2%" "HD audio has more samples, so it has more resolution- redbook sounds grainy in comparison to smooth HD." All of these have become accepted truths and no one questions them, they just keep repeating them over and over.

Then they come in Sound Science and all of a sudden, we ask them to define things they just blindly accepted before. It hits the reset button in their brain and they look at us like we are from outer space.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #291 of 421
I have good old American shame about my interconnects. I keep them tucked away and hidden from public view.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #292 of 421
  I think that outside of Sound Science illogical things are said so often, people begin to believe them and not question them. "you need resolving equipment to hear a difference" "being an audiophile is about perfecting the last 2%" "HD audio has more samples, so it has more resolution- redbook sounds grainy in comparison to smooth HD." All of these have become accepted truths and no one questions them, they just keep repeating them over and over.

Then they come in Sound Science and all of a sudden, we ask them to define things they just blindly accepted before. It hits the reset button in their brain and they look at us like we are from outer space.

The off-the-top guesstimated percentage improvements get tossed around all over the place outside of Sound Science. Some people seem to be unaware of the fact that numbers actually pertain to something. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #293 of 421
The off-the-top guesstimated percentage improvements get tossed around all over the place outside of Sound Science. Some people seem to be unaware of the fact that numbers actually pertain to something. 

I think he's misquoted the numbers anyway, I have it on good authority from the Dagogo website that it's actually between 2.623% and 6.425%, but the OP may have rounded up and down incorrectly. But if it's on Dagogo, you can take it to the bank as gospel, they used an abacus to get the precise numbers. The spread is due to the phases of the moon and Aquarius rising, they've discovered that cables are very horoscope sensitive, a major breakthrough.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #294 of 421
Didn't you say it would improve the sound quality by 2 to 7%? Perhaps I'm not reading you correctly. Are you saying there is no audible difference, the cable is just pretty?

I have a theory about people who argue that cables make an audible improvement. I think deep down, they know that cables make no difference whatsoever. They just have some sort of ego/status symbol/power deal that makes them argue that up is down and black is white. I am actually interested in finding out why you would argue that cables make 2 to 7% difference, and then turn around and say it's just aesthetics. Can you explain that to me, because I am genuinely curious.

Hey man. I'm not trying to be deceptive at all. I'm simply saying the aesthetics play a huge role, but not the entire role. I recently got to try out 2 substantial cables that are aftermarket for the 800 with ALO's reference 16 copper/silver hybrid and moon Audio's V2 black dragon. First of all the price points of these cables are very different and so is their geometry/design. To the point though, I heard no differences with the V2 but with the ALO (more expensive) it bonded better with my sources. I heard a Minimal improvement in my overall soundstage. It was more clear, airy and Balanced. If I had to slap a percentage on it I'd say 5% improvement in sound quality. Then again, this only worked cause my sources and headphones are touchy, bright and analytical.
I simply got lucky due to my system's synergy. I would recommend the ALO cable. I don't own it, but it was nice to try out. However, I do not feel the $$ is worth it!! It's a lot of coin for that minimal SQ improvement. I could only justify the aesthetics to convince me that it would be a worthy buy.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #295 of 421
You quoted a specific cable and amp (Moon audio's V2 black dragon and ALO) and a specific set of headphones (HD-800). Let's start there. What does the cable do? Better response, distortion, dynamic range, what?

With the ALO(cable) overall soundstage was a bit cleaner. It worked, but to such a small degree. Again though, it was nice to try out. I may just buy it. **** it!! It's taking the extra pride and care in your rig. Cable has a lifetime warranty as well. Also, in case your stalk HD cable somehow kicks the bucket, it's nice to have back up, right? I think so.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #296 of 421
The bolded part might sound reasonable in laymen's speak, but from a scientific and engineering point of view, that's pretty ridiculous.

TBH, personally I don't dig the look of most custom cables. The braided look is decent. I don't like the quarter inch connection look... The HD800 stock cable is nice and cylindrical and grey, I like that.

The science behind cable claims for sonic improvements are quite deceitful. A lot of variables have to work out in order for YOUR human ear to detect certain sonic differences with an aftermarket cable purchase. Your system synergy as well as the cable's Metallic synergies/geometry all play a very very vital role.
It's so minimal in my experience though and it doesn't justify the price tag for overall SQ, so that is why aesthetics and build quality come in to justify the price tag. The headphone cable is quite a personal end with most head-fi individuals. Some take a lot of pride in their snakes and touch them repeatedly while listening to their music [cough!] Freud! Lol.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #297 of 421
With the ALO(cable) overall soundstage was a bit cleaner. It worked, but to such a small degree. Again though, it was nice to try out. I may just buy it. **** it!! It's taking the extra pride and care in your rig. Cable has a lifetime warranty as well. Also, in case your stalk HD cable somehow kicks the bucket, it's nice to have back up, right? I think so.

Clear as mud, mate.

Cost of cable: more than zero
Benefit expected: zero

Benefit shortfall: 100%

Suggested alternate option: do not let your pet dog chew on your headphone cables.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #298 of 421
Clear as mud, mate.

Cost of cable: more than zero

Benefit expected: zero

Benefit shortfall: 100%

Suggested alternate option: do not let your pet dog chew on your headphone cables.

Lol. Well my friend, this is a decision I have been grappling with for a few months now, and yet you narrow it down so efficiently just like that. There is just one thing. I have no pets. :wink:

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #300 of 421
How is this thread still going 4 years later LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back