1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to plug in a female 4-pin mini XLR connector into a male 3-pin mini XLR connector?

1. Meetite
    Hello all,
    I am building myself a custom cable which combines a microphone input and headphone output into one cable and want to use 4-pin mini XLR for part of it and to do so I need to be sure that I can plug a female 4-pin mini XLR connector into a male 3-pin mini XLR connector. Does anybody know if this is possible? Whether or not I can do it will heavily dictate how I build this cable.
    Thanks!

2. Speedskater
    I don't know anything about the mini connectors, but with regular XLR connectors, it's completely impossible!

3. rkw
  4. Speedskater
    They look close enough, that someone might try to force fit them.

5. Meetite
    Yeah, I work on the stage crew for my local high school and we have a few pieces of equipment that use 4 pin XLR instead of 3 pin, which was always a pain in the butt, but the only thing we have with mini XLR are our foot mics, which all use 3 pin, which after looking at pictures looked close enough to 4 pin that it got me wondering.
    Aw man, that sucks. Well, thanks for the information anyways though, because now I know how I can build this cable. Thanks :wink:

6. Meetite
    Yeah, they do