Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #361 of 425
Got to hear new-driver LCD-2s yesterday.  More open than previous, which were already very, very good.  I also got to see some frequency response curve data sheets, which were rather extraordinarily flat from 10Hz -- yes, TEN HERTZ -- out to 2K -- for ANY transducer besides a phono cartridge that's pretty darned amazing....and they sounded that way, too.  Huge props to the Audeze guys for improving an already nice set of headphones.

It's so much fun to do an A-B-C-D-E comparison among HiFi Man HE-500/HE5LE/HE6/LCD-2/HD-800.....I still favor the planar-magnetics to the Senns (the 600s and 800s are very good, but seem, while nicely informational, a bit compressed by comparison to any of the HiFi Man or Audeze 'phones) but I'm an unabashed lifelong lover of planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones and loudspeakers.....

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #362 of 425

Quote:
Got to hear new-driver LCD-2s yesterday.  More open than previous, which were already very, very good.  I also got to see some frequency response curve data sheets, which were rather extraordinarily flat from 10Hz -- yes, TEN HERTZ -- out to 2K -- for ANY transducer besides a phono cartridge that's pretty darned amazing....and they sounded that way, too.  Huge props to the Audeze guys for improving an already nice set of headphones.

It's so much fun to do an A-B-C-D-E comparison among HiFi Man HE-500/HE5LE/HE6/LCD-2/HD-800.....I still favor the planar-magnetics to the Senns (the 600s and 800s are very good, but seem, while nicely informational, a bit compressed by comparison to any of the HiFi Man or Audeze 'phones) but I'm an unabashed lifelong lover of planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones and loudspeakers.....

I am looking forward to trying the rev.2 LCD-2 as well, but I must say that I've never thought of the HD800 as being a bit compressed, even compared to other high-end headphones.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #363 of 425

Quote:

I am looking forward to trying the rev.2 LCD-2 as well, but I must say that I've never thought of the HD800 as being a bit compressed, even compared to other high-end headphones.

I didn't understand that either.  

I will say the rev2 did have a nicer treble presence and it mostly passed my transient tests that the rev1 had some issues with.  It seemed to shift to bit of a drier sig in the mids rather than the smooth warmth of the rev1.  Mixed bag for me though overall it seems like an improvement technically and ergonomically IMO.  The comfier headband and less poofy, more conforming earpads agreed w/ my face/head much better.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #364 of 425

Quote:
I also got to see some frequency response curve data sheets, which were rather extraordinarily flat from 10Hz -- yes, TEN HERTZ -- out to 2K -- for ANY transducer besides a phono cartridge that's pretty darned amazing....and they sounded that way, too.  Huge props to the Audeze guys for improving an already nice set of headphones.

That does sound impressive.  Any chance you could post/link these data sheets?  What did the curve look like from 2-4khz?  That realm is always of considerable interest to me because various treble instruments do play fundamental frequencies (as opposed to just overtones) in that range.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #365 of 425

Quote:
That does sound impressive.  Any chance you could post/link these data sheets?  What did the curve look like from 2-4khz?  That realm is always of considerable interest to me because various treble instruments do play fundamental frequencies (as opposed to just overtones) in that range.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2SN5312123.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

Rev. 2

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #366 of 425
I've had the LCD-2 rev.2 for about a week and my impressions are positive, with some reservations.  I can say that they are definitely warm sounding, with great pace and energy.  They work the best with rock and electonica.  They also have the best "drop bass" that I have heard on any headphones, really deep but not overwhelming.  The few drawbacks is that the treble seems a bit on the weak side.  I also have a pair of balanced 650s and the lcd-2 make them look bright.  There is a 4-pin balanced cable for the lcd-2, although I'm not sure if this is going to affect the sound. Weight is also a small issue, but I'm not moving around when wearing them, so it's a non-issue.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #367 of 425

Quote:
I will say the rev2 did have a nicer treble presence and it mostly passed my transient tests that the rev1 had some issues with.  It seemed to shift to bit of a drier sig in the mids rather than the smooth warmth of the rev1...

Totally agree with this, the rev2 did indeed have the transient response that I found lacking in the rev1. Unfortunately, as a side effect, the rev2 has lost that midrange creaminess which I felt made the rev1 more coherent throughout. The rev2 even sounded sizzly too, even compared to the HD800. As far as the "reverb" effect, I didn't hear any with the rev2.

@rhythmdevils: Have you had a chance to hear the rev2s yet?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #368 of 425
Thank you for the posting the rev.2 graph Anaxilus 
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #369 of 425

Quote:
Totally agree with this, the rev2 did indeed have the transient response that I found lacking in the rev1. Unfortunately, as a side effect, the rev2 has lost that midrange creaminess which I felt made the rev1 more coherent throughout. The rev2 even sounded sizzly too, even compared to the HD800. As far as the "reverb" effect, I didn't hear any with the rev2.

@rhythmdevils: Have you had a chance to hear the rev2s yet?

How'd you know I would show up? 
tongue_smile.gif
  Interesting about the reverb.  I would like to hear the Rev2, but the sonic changes are not things that sound good to me.  The Rev1 was already blazingly fast, so I don't really see the point if you loose the natural, warm midrange.  The "reverb" doesn't seem like it could have been because of a slow driver because they were already faster than almost all headphones out there.  But maybe they tweaked some other internals.  Macedonian said the Rev2 is lighter, and since it's headband is likely heavier due to the leather, they must have changed something inside.  I was guessing it was just a thinner frame or some material change but maybe it was something more. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #370 of 425

Quote:
How'd you know I would show up? 
tongue_smile.gif
  Interesting about the reverb.  I would like to hear the Rev2, but the sonic changes are not things that sound good to me.  The Rev1 was already blazingly fast, so I don't really see the point if you loose the natural, warm midrange.  The "reverb" doesn't seem like it could have been because of a slow driver because they were already faster than almost all headphones out there.  But maybe they tweaked some other internals.  Macedonian said the Rev2 is lighter, and since it's headband is likely heavier due to the leather, they must have changed something inside.  I was guessing it was just a thinner frame or some material change but maybe it was something more. 

Whitney, I'd still very much classify the LCD-2 Rev.2's midrange as warm and natural.
smile.gif

BTW, when I did the weight comparison, it was BEFORE I put on my leather headband that I ordered from Audeze a few weeks back. I compared both with the standard metal headband and the Rev. 2s were indeed noticeably lighter.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #371 of 425

Quote:
Whitney, I'd still very much classify the LCD-2 Rev.2's midrange as warm and natural.
smile.gif

True, but it doesn't have that creamy goodness of the r1 anymore!  Also I'm not too sure about that sizzliness > 10kHz - it could have been production variances though. r2 does sound faster though.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #373 of 425

Quote:
smile.gif

BTW, when I did the weight comparison, it was BEFORE I put on my leather headband that I ordered from Audeze a few weeks back. I compared both with the standard metal headband and the Rev. 2s were indeed noticeably lighter.

That's good.  I'd love to hear them.  Verrrrrrrrry interesting about the weight change. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #374 of 425

Users who are viewing this thread

Back