Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Jun 16, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #46 of 425
The LCD-2 have displaced my other full-sized cans, except for the Denon 7000 which I use only when I need a little more isolation or in bed to avoid disturbing my wife. At this point, the only other full-sized headphones I crave would be the Sony MDR R10 (I wish I could justify the expense for a lovingly used pair!) or perhaps something down the deep money hole labelled "Stax." As it is, I'm still working up the nerve to pull the trigger on an amp upgrade to the Apex P/V for the LCD-2.

So I guess I'm a victim of the hype if that's what it is: for me the LCD-2 are King for the day at least.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #47 of 425

Quote:
deep money hole labelled "Stax." As it is, I'm still working up the nerve to pull the trigger on an amp upgrade to the Apex P/V for the LCD-2.

The amount of money you'd be spending is not much less than a Stax O2 rig...

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #50 of 425

Quote:
Good article here from Tyll on the development of the Hifiman range. The ubiquity of these and the LCD-2 on Head-Fi makes it easy to forget this planar magnetic resurgence is still in its relative infancy. If the perhaps subjective superiority of this tech is all it seems then surely the big boys will inevitably enter the fray. It'll be interesting to observe if a plateau has been reached with the LCD-2/HE-6/500 flagships and whether enthusiasts who aren't early adaptors will flock to this tier in time.

Nah, I don't think they have reached a plateau.  30 year old orthos can perform closer to LCD-2, HE6 level than they should.  The new designs are improvements, but they still haven't dealt with or resolved the challenges presented by the technology, most of the improvements are because of new materials and manufacturing like thinner diaphragms and stronger magnets.  I still think there's unresolved backwave and damping issues in all of the new designs.

Quote:
Well the LCD-2 isn't exactly an underdog, it's the second most popular high end can here.

The HE500 is relatively unknown in comparison, which is very strange considering they're unbelievably good and in my and a few others' opinion, superior to all of the high end dynamic cans (except maybe the T1, they're very similar and I'm still A/Bing) and a hell of a lot cheaper.

It is an underdog, look at the size of the company.  The LCD-2 is made by a 2 man company and it's their second headphone.  Sennheiser has been making headphones for decades.  And the LCD-2 is at least as popular as their flagship, which also happens to cost a lot more. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #51 of 425
     Quote:
There is no doubt that we are seeing the Era of the Planar.

[size=x-small]Time will tell. Two small manufacturers and a vocal minority of enthusiastic supporters does not an era make. [/size]
wink.gif

Quote:
I think you're witnessing the latest version of the "flavor of the month" effect.  A new product, of a relatively new design, enters the marketplace and captures the attention of it's most enthusiastic participants...who will then proceed to talk the topic to death, due to the fact that this subject matter is their hobby.  I'd suggest that most, exciting new headphone models experience this effect to some degree...  

x 2. 

Quote:
I think this humorous statement applies equally to the LCD-2 "can do no wrong" crowd.  I sang in the bass section of a performance of the Faure Requiem a couple of weeks ago, and the trebles coming from the first violin player/soloist were strikingly bright, vibrant and textured compared to what comes out of the so-called "tonally accurate" LCD-2's.  It's a real shame you can't compress the sound-stage and roll-off all of the highs in real life so that it can better conform to Audeze's house sound.
wink.gif

All sarcasm and hyperbole aside, I think the LCD-2's are outstanding headphones...

[size=x-small]Agreed, and having heard the LCD-2, I remain unconvinced by attempts to defend it against charges of treble roll-off by describing other headphones as "bright". Listen to the crash of a cymbal, a stratospheric high C from a trumpet or feedback from an electric guitar, and you'll be reminded that high frequencies can make you wince. The presence of extended treble in a high-end headphone is no less important than midrange and bass, and this is the LCD-2's Achilles heel in my opinion. [/size]

There's much to like about the LCD-2 and I can understand why its sound signature would appeal. If your preference is for subdued treble, full midrange and prodigious bass, then the LCD-2 could very well be the headphone for you.

I liken listening to music through it to looking at a sunny day through tinted lenses. You can still see everything clearly but it is somewhat dimmer than normal. Those who describe the LCD-2 as sounding like "real life" seem to have forgotten how vivid that can be.     

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #52 of 425
Quote:

I liken listening to music through it to looking at a sunny day through tinted lenses. You can still see everything clearly but it is somewhat dimmer than normal. Those who describe the LCD-2 as sounding like "real life" seem to have forgotten how vivid that can be.     

I’ve been fried in the sun by the HD800’s, after 3 hours I’m as red as a lobster.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #53 of 425
Well you now have the headphone equivalent of polaroids, sunscreen and a broad brimmed hat to protect you from exposure to the music. 
evil_smiley.gif
 I'm glad you're enjoying your LCD-2. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #54 of 425
It’s more shade, I can enjoy a sunny day to the fullest here, all the detail and colour are present, gentle breeze blowing too, I can see you squinting, getting a full dose of a harsh sun. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #55 of 425
You remain in the shade johmwmclean and I'll bask in the glorious sunlight. 
wink.gif

PS I think we've gone far enough with this metaphor don't you? 

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #56 of 425

Quote:
[size=x-small]Time will tell. Two small manufacturers and a vocal minority of enthusiastic supporters does not an era make. [/size]
wink.gif

I think you missed the point, or I didn't make it clearly.  I'm certainly not saying planar headphones are dominating the headphone landscape.  No high end headphone will ever outsell the Bose and Beats of the world, or even amount to a fraction of their sales.  But the dawn of very popular planar headphones is certainly the most interesting event in high-end headphone-land of the last year or so, IMO.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #60 of 425

Quote:
Many, many years ago when I was a college student with disposable income I had a pair of Magnapans (beautiful wood on the early ones) and absolutely loved them.

My preferences in this order.  Electrostatics (Martin Logan's),  Planars (Magnepans) Dipoles (Mirage),  Cones.     In any of these categories full range.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back