Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,066 of 3,645
Quote:
No problem, putente. I used to run Rockbox on an iPod Video also and, but for EmCORE, it is identical.

There are a lot of cool features. It is worth downloading the manual and finding out what is possible. I suggest learning to use the Dynamic Playlist (long press of the Select key to access the functions). It is an amazing feature which I use constantly. Section 4.4 in the manual.

Any questions, just ask.

You're right again, and I'll download and read the manual for sure! It's nice to know that us newbies on the Rockbox'ed Ipod Classic have someone like you to help us... 
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,067 of 3,645
Finally done.  Wing and a prayer at a couple of points but finally got it done.  Now lets see if it was worth it :)

Well first issue, not compatible with macs :frowning2: (I updated it on the xp netbook  we have lying around).

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,069 of 3,645
Glad to see everyone getting this installed.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a good program to sync your music library on computer with the rockboxed ipod? I've been using winamp before and it was great, but now I want to put folder.jpg cover art files in each folder instead of the tagging all my files so I need a way to sync entire folders including music files AND cover art files. 

Quote:
Small problem. Whenever I add new music to my RB iPod it does not show up in the database unless I initialize the whole thing. It does show up in the file browser however. Any way to fix this?

Hopefully someone can help you guys. I honestly don't see the benefit of synching or using the database. The beauty of Rockbox is that you can organize your files on your computer and then drop them over and browse by folders in Rockbox. When I add a new album on my computer, I just drag it over to the same folder on my Classic. This also turns the Classic into a perfect mirror image backup of your files.

Personal taste, of course.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,070 of 3,645
Quote:
Glad to see everyone getting this installed.

Hopefully someone can help you guys. I honestly don't see the benefit of synching or using the database. The beauty of Rockbox is that you can organize your files on your computer and then drop them over and browse by folders in Rockbox. When I add a new album on my computer, I just drag it over to the same folder on my Classic. This also turns the Classic into a perfect mirror image backup of your files.

Personal taste, of course.

Well, I kind of feel the same way about the whole "syncing" issues and the itunes ways of thinking. However, actually keeping a backup of what's on an ipod makes total sense to me, on a number of levels. Perhaps even backing up to a home network for access with all your devices. Maybe it's just a matter of what words your using, but compared to the Apple method of of itunes encrypting all the names of my files and shuffling them into random folders, I'll take the total control of naming and organization of music that Rockbox offers me every time. And figuring out how to back up your files and file system just seems smart in general. But I feel safe enough doing that kind of backup every week or two, rather having the music on my ipod and a computer identically synced every day. There are many good programs that will do this, and some are free.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,071 of 3,645
Don't get me wrong, I like the drag and drop method, but I often delete whole albums from my collection when I either don't like them or get sick of them. So what I have to do is make a list of these deleted albums and later manually delete them on the ipod. I was just hoping there would be an automatic way (AKA syncing entire folders).

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #1,072 of 3,645
One thing I'm starting to miss from the original Apple firmware is the ability to play all songs randomly by album. In rockbox, the closest thing is to go to <random> under album and make a playlist. Sometimes I don't feel like making a playlist and just want to play random albums sequentially. Also, when I'm playing all songs by random there's no easy way to switch back and forth from track shuffle and album shuffle, so if there's an album I found that I want to listen to while I was on track shuffle, I have to go to the database and track that album down instead of just switching to album shuffle.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #1,076 of 3,645
Quote:
I was referring to zeitfleist post regarding the feature of apple shuffle VS Sound Quality of Rockbox....Which does he prefer?

I don't think there's a change in sound quality if you don't use EQ or any other sound setting on rockbox, and if you think there is, it might be placebo...
I'd love to have the album shuffle, but it's not something I have to have if you know what I mean.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,079 of 3,645
Quote:
Small problem. Whenever I add new music to my RB iPod it does not show up in the database unless I initialize the whole thing. It does show up in the file browser however. Any way to fix this?

Not as far as I know - you have to update the database, and reboot.  The reason I like the database is that it allows me to use both artist and album artist tags.  This means (for example) that individual tracks from Eric Clapton's collection "Crossroads" can have artist tags such as "Cream" "Blind Faith" "Derek and the Dominoes" "Bluebreakers" and yet all be accessible together in one place under the Album artist tag "Eric Clapton".  I find this very useful.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,080 of 3,645
I've read 2/3 of the 72 pages here and Im still not 100% sure about my question.

I have a 2012 VW Golf TDI with Tech Package. It has a dock connector for an IPOD in my center armrest. With a RockBoxed 120G IPod, will I be able to play music through that connection and have the IPod charged at the same time? If NO, is this simply a limitation of the version of the Classics RockBox, or will this be a problem with Rockbox on a 5G Ipod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back