Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #1,036 of 3,645
Then I don't know what you did, because mp3gain rounds the values up or down to the nearest 1.5dB increment. I don't know how you could do better. It also means that the largest discrepancy can be 0.75dB (worst case scenario, most of the time it will be less than that), which is hardly large enough to be considered "all over the place", and hardly noticeable, if at all.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,037 of 3,645
Ah! I see the issue.

Replaygain Scanning in Foobar is non-destructive. It just updates metadata. And this does then work with Rockbox.

MP3gain, like Foobar Replaygain Processing, is destructive. Your file is permanently changed. And if you do this to an MP3 file (as opposed to a lossless file), the double lossy save definitely deteriorates sound quality.

Bad idea. Don't go there.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,038 of 3,645
And if you do this to an MP3 file (as opposed to a lossless file), the double lossy save definitely deteriorates sound quality.

No. MP3 frames have a "gain" value that can be changed (and losslessly reversed). mp3gain only alters that gain value, which is a simple number, it doesn't do any re-encoding. There's no quality loss.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,039 of 3,645
That is why I had to manually go through each and every file even after I applied RG using mp3gain because the volumes would be all over the place still.

Actually it sounds more like you were fighting track gain because you didn't apply album gain (mp3gain -a). It's the only reason I can think of.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #1,040 of 3,645
Quote:
Then I don't know what you did, because mp3gain rounds the values up or down to the nearest 1.5dB increment. I don't know how you could do better. It also means that the largest discrepancy can be 0.75dB (worst case scenario, most of the time it will be less than that), which is hardly large enough to be considered "all over the place", and hardly noticeable, if at all.

No trust me, I've tried both track gain and album gain, but the volumes were never right. And the largest discrepancy would be 1.5db since you could get -0.75db on one file and +0.75db on another by rounding as you've mentioned. I'm really fussy about volume so even a 0.75db gain difference was enough for me to call it "all over the place". So what I had to do was get all the lossless files and then convert using dbpoweramp and apply the gain I wanted in the process. This allowed me to apply any amount of gain compared to the +/- 1.5db of mp3gain. Believe it or not, this is what I did for at least a thousand files. I'm just glad I don't have to waste time on this anymore.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #1,041 of 3,645
And the largest discrepancy would be 1.5db since you could get -0.75db on one file and +0.75db on another by rounding as you've mentioned.

You mean -0.75dB on one album that you're listening to, and +0.75dB on the next album that you decide to listen to. That's the worst case scenario of worst case scenarios, i.e. it has very little chance of happening. Did that even occur while you were listening to some music?

I'm really fussy about volume so even a 0.75db gain difference was enough for me to call it "all over the place".

I don't know what to say to that. I just hope newbies who read this thread won't think that mp3gain is broken.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,042 of 3,645
MP3gain is unsupported freeware. It alters files - albeit reversibly - whereas Replaygain does not. Therefore with Rockbox it brings nothing useful to the table. So how about we drop the OT for this thread. Cheers!

Edit: Fixed typos

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,043 of 3,645
So last night I bought one of these 160GB iPod's! I found it at a very good price in a promo at a local store! 
biggrin.gif

I didn't even open the box yet, but later today I'll be trying to install Rockbox on it. Do I need to have iTunes installed for that? 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #1,044 of 3,645
Quote:
So last night I bought one of these 160GB iPod's! I found it at a very good price in a promo at a local store! 
biggrin.gif

I didn't even open the box yet, but later today I'll be trying to install Rockbox on it. Do I need to have iTunes installed for that? 
rolleyes.gif

Congratulations. And no, you shouldn't need it to install Rockbox.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #1,046 of 3,645
So I've spent a fun couple of hours trying to install rockbox on the ipod classic using emcore.  I get so far and then it just doesn't work.  Specifically I get to the "put the ipod into dfu"mode.  I think I do it right but the usb apple recovery doesnt happen.  After that it fails.  Any ideas where I'm going wrong?  At first I thought it was because I was trying to do a mac formatted ipod on a windows machine (no mac support for emcore), but then formatted the ipod on the windows machine and still nothing.  Got me stumped to be honest.

Cheers

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,047 of 3,645
Quote:
So I've spent a fun couple of hours trying to install rockbox on the ipod classic using emcore.  I get so far and then it just doesn't work.  Specifically I get to the "put the ipod into dfu"mode.  I think I do it right but the usb apple recovery doesnt happen.  After that it fails.  Any ideas where I'm going wrong?  At first I thought it was because I was trying to do a mac formatted ipod on a windows machine (no mac support for emcore), but then formatted the ipod on the windows machine and still nothing.  Got me stumped to be honest.

Cheers

In a few hours I'll be the trying the same, and I hope I don't run into any problems. But so far I can't help you... Are you following the EmCORE Installation wizard?

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,048 of 3,645
Quote:

In a few hours I'll be the trying the same, and I hope I don't run into any problems. But so far I can't help you... Are you following the EmCORE Installation wizard?

Yep, and I wouldn't worry too much.  I never seem to have much luck with these things whilst they work first time for others!

Good luck with yours.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,050 of 3,645
Yup done that, I assume I don't stop ipodservice.exe?
Cheers

EDIT Tried it again and keep getting a "device malfunctioned and windows not recognising it error.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back