Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,441 of 3,645
Quote:
its a shame about not being able to use the docking system is this something that will never be possible or something that they just havent been able to do yet?

I thought it should work? Just like LODs. As long as you hold down the "Menu" key as you are plugging it in..I could be wrong because I don't own a dock. But I believe I've seen that docks work with the RB build.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,443 of 3,645
putente, like you I only use the file browser so I do not even activate the database in Rockbox. I wish that there was a way to remove it from the main menu but Rockbox does not allow that kind of customization.

I would like it if there was an additional item in the System menu (or General Settings) that allowed one to customize the main menu...

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #1,444 of 3,645
Quote:

Well, I don't know if this is possible on the iPod, as I didn't use mine with the original Apple FW, but there's a way to solve this EU volume limitation in other players, simply by changing the country/language to some country outside the EU. I've successfuly done this in a Sansa Clip+, but again, I'm not sure if it works on the iPod...

Nope, that does not work on a iPod . You can't even load a US-firmware onto the EU-model .
I tried, by using a proxy-service giving me a US-IP, and it does not work, you still get the EU-firmware .
Conclusion : The hardware is somehow region-aware .
It's just 2 bits that need to be changed, but since nobody knows their location, due to the firmware-encryption, you can't do it on a 'Classic' :frowning2:

Quote:
I wish that there was a way to remove it from the main menu but Rockbox does not allow that kind of customization.

Not true !
Because RockBox is open-source code, you can do EXACTLY what you want, limited only by your coding-skills and the hardware-capabilities .
The rocbox-team even provides a pre-made development-distro you can run in a virtual machine under windows .
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/DevelopmentGuide

PS : I think they ARE working on a way to remove/hide non -wanted -used features from the menu, many of the developers feel that there are already to many options to choose from ..

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,445 of 3,645
What I'm interested in is if rockbox can somehow make my iPod accept 24/96 and 24/192 and play them without downsampling them back to 16/44.1, because I'm going to get a fostex hpp1 to go with it and this is going to be my main rig.

1) Rockbox downsamples everything to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz, there's no way around that.
2) The HP-P1 won't work at all with Rockbox, it only works with iPods with the stock firmware.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,446 of 3,645
I had to go back to the original iPod firmware. Because Rockbox is just too slow on my 240gb 7th classic. Updating the database takes hours and hours. When it is a lot easier to fill it in iTunes. I know that people prefer Rockbox. And I like the firmware. But it doesn't work too well with an ipod bigger than 160gb :frowning2: In the future I will use Rockbox, when I can put my whole library on an iPod. I already own the 500gb Archos player. And have all my music on there with some room. The problem with the Archos, is that it is not very portable to use. It is just too big to keep in my pocket. lol I am also thinking about trying to make a 500gb or a 1tb ipod. I'll let people know what happens. If it did work, I would have to find a custom back for it. Or try to makeshift one. It is a pipe dream. But I do have a creative mind. And I am always trying to do crazy things with electronics especially. :D

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,447 of 3,645
Quote:
I had to go back to the original iPod firmware. Because Rockbox is just too slow on my 240gb 7th classic. Updating the database takes hours and hours. When it is a lot easier to fill it in iTunes. I know that people prefer Rockbox. And I like the firmware. But it doesn't work too well with an ipod bigger than 160gb :frowning2: In the future I will use Rockbox, when I can put my whole library on an iPod. I already own the 500gb Archos player. And have all my music on there with some room. The problem with the Archos, is that it is not very portable to use. It is just too big to keep in my pocket. lol I am also thinking about trying to make a 500gb or a 1tb ipod. I'll let people know what happens. If it did work, I would have to find a custom back for it. Or try to makeshift one. It is a pipe dream. But I do have a creative mind. And I am always trying to do crazy things with electronics especially. :D

And why don't you simply stop using the Database, and just use the File Browser as some of us are doing? At first, I thought this would be a strange option, but now that I got used to it, I don't want or need the Databse anymore! Heck, some posts ago I even asked if I could even disable the thing! If you like RB, just give it a try and then make your final decision...

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,448 of 3,645
I thought about it, before I posted. The thing I like about the database. Is I can randomly choose albums, artists etc..... Which is kind of nice. When going back to the original firmware, I have to pretty much choose what I want to listen too. I do use a random letter generator online. And have the letters pick what I listen too. I haven't abandoned rockbox yet. Just going to go stock for now. :wink:

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,449 of 3,645
1) Rockbox downsamples everything to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz, there's no way around that.
2) The HP-P1 won't work at all with Rockbox, it only works with iPods with the stock firmware.

I see... though I don't think its rb that downsamples the tracks, its the iPod itself. It accepts 24/48 but can only output 16/44.1, correct me if I'm wrong

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,450 of 3,645
Quote:
Not true !
Because RockBox is open-source code, you can do EXACTLY what you want, limited only by your coding-skills and the hardware-capabilities .
The rocbox-team even provides a pre-made development-distro you can run in a virtual machine under windows .
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/DevelopmentGuide

PS : I think they ARE working on a way to remove/hide non -wanted -used features from the menu, many of the developers feel that there are already to many options to choose from ..

Oh, I don't doubt that with the proper know-how one could program in this feature. Sadly my requisite skills are limited to hacking around with themes.  :)

Great news though if the Rockbox team are on this. Given the opportunity, I would simplify my main menu greatly.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,451 of 3,645
Quote:
The precut implementation is excellent. It doesn't hurt SQ.... except that it is unavoidable in the digital realm that reducing volume reduces bit depth. Every reduction of 6 db equates with a loss of one bit. This in turn reduces the dynamic range.
A small reduction will probably have no audible negative effect but as a matter of principle you should only reduce using the precut by the smallest amount necessary. If you have usable swing on your volume pot (i.e. channels balanced etc.), use that first.

I see. Do you know if pre-amp affects the dynamic range as well? I already have that at -12.0db, so if I apply another -4.0db in pre-cut, will that result in loss of ~3 bits?

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,452 of 3,645
Quote:
I have a stupid question...

I have an iPod 5.5 video that I've been running RB using the RB utility.  My battery life sucks so can I use aroldan's latest build or will it only work on the 7g Classic?

Anyone?

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #1,453 of 3,645
Thanks for all the advice on this thread.  Just installed Rockbox on my 160gb Classic.  Works great but with the following notes:
- Works perfectly on my Fatman iTube Carbon dock.
- Does not work on my Bluetooth Belkin Tunestage wireless.  (If anyone can workout a patch for this it would greatly appreciated!)

As much of my music collection is classical, you can only imagine the nightmare iTunes and the IPod firmware were for cataloging that type of music, with composers, various movements, various symphonies, etc, etc, etc..  Having the ability to play it as I set up my file structure is just amazing.  I will have to do without the remote for now until someone works out a patch.

Thanks to all

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back