Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,411 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi there! i've been using my rockboxed ipod classic with Aroldan's build for two weeks now! I'm quite happy with it! there were only few instances when my PC wouldnt recognize my ipod and just a couple of freezes here and there, but overall it's quite stable on me. Battery life seems to be reasonable as well. Im grateful to everyone who made rockbox and to those improving it and making it better.

i have 2 questions. 1) where can i get other themes for classic? i tried to use Cooperpwc's theme that he put up on this forum not long ago, but it doesnt work for some reason. (probably im doing smth wrong. do i just need to extract files in the theme folder?)

2) maybe little bit off topic, but i was wondering why volume is marked from -60 db min to 12 db max. (with comfortable volume level for me being around -25db). i really dont know much about this, but i usually i hear people saying  "passing truck is around 100db, normal speech level 60db " etc. so, how is the range on the rockbox works?  i just want to ensure im listening to music at safe db levels. thanks

1) I don't know why it didn't work for you. In any event, there are lots of themes to choose from. (iPod Video themes work on the Classic; same screen size and controls):

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=ipodvideo

2) The 0 dB setting is full volume from the Classic hardware. Anything more may clip and distort. However the point at which you will harm your hearing may be much lower, especially with IEMs. Unfortunately it is impossible to generalize on a specific safe volume as it depends on the sensitivity of your headphones.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,412 of 3,645
Quote:
I have a Custom Crossfeed setting on the Rockboxed Classic that I am really enjoying with the ES5 CIEMs. This is quite different than the default settings. It keeps the centered vocals and bass essentially unchanged from Crossfeed off but creates a more relaxed soundstage that is less fatiguing to me ears.

Direct Gain: -0.5dB
Cross gain -12dB
High-Frequency Attenuation: -12dB
High-Frequency Cutoff: 500 Hz

We will see how these settings wear over time. They might evolve or I might go back to not using Crossfeed with the ES5. Right now I am finding them quite compelling.

Thank you very much. I really like it.

Quote:

Okay, here is a fairly obscure update to the Cabbie Classic theme for those who are using my Crossfeed indicator on the previous page. If you want a stronger indication that Crossfeed is enabled, you can have an LED light up beside the Numeric Volume and Crossfeed indicator in the WPS.

First click on the above image and save that. Then rename it "Xfeed-led.bmp". (Head-Fi demands that the file type be changed to the strange .x-ms-bmp so you have to change it back.) Place the resulting bitmap in the .rockbox/wps/CabbieClassic folder.

Then add the following to the CabbieClassic.wps file in the .rockbox/wps folder. (I put it below the entry for Numeric Volume and Info Xfeed):

I am not sure that this will be of any interest but I personally think that it looks pretty cool.  :)

Failed to do it. Black screen + text only. Back to the old world.

Also I went back to 120511.

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,413 of 3,645
Quote:
Thanks!! But darn...you think it will still sound good? I guess I do get good imaging out of even my phone and Klipsch Image S4s...maybe the iPod default DAC will be even better :) And it's not like I need the best of the best for portable anyway. There's always the option of going back to regular firmware, is that possible? I thought that it installed Rockbox on a new partition or something and you could dual boot, also how much space would that take up if I did the dual boot thing?

Well mine does sound very good with my JDSLabs c421 amp! I'm really happy with with my combo... 
smile.gif

About reverting to the original FW, all you need is to install iTunes and plug the RB iPod to the computer. It will then restore the iPod FW to it's original state. You won't have dual boot option in a Classic, as you can either have it's original Aple FW or use emCORE to run Rockbox, but not both... 
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,415 of 3,645
Quote:

Well mine does sound very good with my JDSLabs c421 amp! I'm really happy with with my combo... 
smile.gif

About reverting to the original FW, all you need is to install iTunes and plug the RB iPod to the computer. It will then restore the iPod FW to it's original state. You won't have dual boot option in a Classic, as you can either have it's original Aple FW or use emCORE to run Rockbox, but not both... 
wink.gif

Alright, I'd heard that when people fully deleted the old firmware restoring wasn't an option anymore (they probably meant like the ipod didnt show up in itunes as an ipod anymore)

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,416 of 3,645
Does anyone know if there's a way to lower the source volume in rockbox other than using the pre-amp settings under replaygain? I find the volume control a bit coarse with the c421 even with -16.0db pre-amp, so I'm kinda stuck.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,417 of 3,645
Does anyone know if there's a way to lower the source volume in rockbox other than using the pre-amp settings under replaygain? I find the volume control a bit coarse with the c421 even with -16.0db pre-amp, so I'm kinda stuck.

Yes. You can use the Equalizer. Leave the frequencies settings to flat (the Default preset) but use the Precut function to lower the line out level. This works perfectly and is actually recommended in the Rockbox Manual as a valid use of the Precut.

(Note: Tou must turn the Equalizer on for the Precut to work. )

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,418 of 3,645
Quote:
Alright, I'd heard that when people fully deleted the old firmware restoring wasn't an option anymore (they probably meant like the ipod didnt show up in itunes as an ipod anymore)

And it won't show up in iTunes after you use emCORE! What will happen is that iTunes detects there's something wrong (lol) with your iPod and restores it's original FW... 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,419 of 3,645
putente, please stop winking everytime you post. Unless you (i) are being sarcastic / joking, or (ii) want to get the into the pants of the person that you are winking at, it makes no sense.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #1,422 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm on emcore v 0.2.3 r859. Is there a way to upgrade to the latest emcore (r867) without music files on the ipod getting deleted? Recopying them would be a pain.

Boot into EmCORE, then choose UMSboot, connect via USB to pc, place the desired .ubi file on the 64MB large 'disk' and safely eject the USB device. It will automatically install and you will not lose your music in the process (unless you come from a way older version, r830 and before or so).

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,424 of 3,645
OK I own the most current classic whatever you guys want to refer it as, 7g or whatsoever. I'm just starting to follow this thread now and I'm only on page 9. I'm not really interested in rockbox eq because I don't use eq. However what I'm interested in is if rockbox can somehow make my iPod accept 24/96 or even 24/192 lossless, that will be very appreciable. Now someone before told me on iPod it accepts up to 24/48 but when its played, it downsamples the track to 16/44.1 (CD quality). So can rockbox do this for the classic? Make it play 24/96 or 24/192 without downsampling the track when its played?

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,425 of 3,645
Quote:
OK I own the most current classic whatever you guys want to refer it as, 7g or whatsoever. I'm just starting to follow this thread now and I'm only on page 9. I'm not really interested in rockbox eq because I don't use eq. However what I'm interested in is if rockbox can somehow make my iPod accept 24/96 or even 24/192 lossless, that will be very appreciable. Now someone before told me on iPod it accepts up to 24/48 but when its played, it downsamples the track to 16/44.1 (CD quality). So can rockbox do this for the classic? Make it play 24/96 or 24/192 without downsampling the track when its played?

24/96 and higher is not a limitation of Rockbox, it's a limitation of iPod hardware itself as the iPod's chip goes up to 48Khz. But you're right, RB resamples everything to 44.1Khz.

I'm currently trying to get native 48Khz support but it involves a big modification of code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back