Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,426 of 3,645
Quote:

24/96 and higher is not a limitation of Rockbox, it's a limitation of iPod hardware itself as the iPod's chip goes up to 48Khz. But you're right, RB resamples everything to 44.1Khz.

I'm currently trying to get native 48Khz support but it involves a big modification of code.

That would be a great achievement, aroldan!

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,428 of 3,645
I have a stupid question...

I have an iPod 5.5 video that I've been running RB using the RB utility.  My battery life sucks so can I use aroldan's latest build or will it only work on the 7g Classic?

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,429 of 3,645
24/96 and higher is not a limitation of Rockbox, it's a limitation of iPod hardware itself as the iPod's chip goes up to 48Khz. But you're right, RB resamples everything to 44.1Khz.

I'm currently trying to get native 48Khz support but it involves a big modification of code.

I know 24/96 is not accepted on iPod not because of rb but because of the iPod. My iPod classic is stock apple software, haven't been rockboxed and wont accept the 24/96 tracks on my comp. The downsampling I think also happens with stock iPod not only rockboxed ipods. What I'm interested in is if rockbox can somehow make my iPod accept 24/96 and 24/192 and play them without downsampling them back to 16/44.1, because I'm going to get a fostex hpp1 to go with it and this is going to be my main rig. I don't bother to have a desktop rig so I don't want the bitrate to be a limitation. Its not like I have much music in 24/96 or higher though... but still... just in case if I do in the future

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,430 of 3,645
Quote:
I know 24/96 is not accepted on iPod not because of rb but because of the iPod. My iPod classic is stock apple software, haven't been rockboxed and wont accept the 24/96 tracks on my comp. The downsampling I think also happens with stock iPod not only rockboxed ipods. What I'm interested in is if rockbox can somehow make my iPod accept 24/96 and 24/192 and play them without downsampling them back to 16/44.1, because I'm going to get a fostex hpp1 to go with it and this is going to be my main rig. I don't bother to have a desktop rig so I don't want the bitrate to be a limitation. Its not like I have much music in 24/96 or higher though... but still... just in case if I do in the future

Isn't the HP-P1 a direct digital connection, meaning absolutely nothing happens to the original sound bits until they are outside the iPod? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,431 of 3,645
Quote:
Yes. You can use the Equalizer. Leave the frequencies settings to flat (the Default preset) but use the Precut function to lower the line out level. This works perfectly and is actually recommended in the Rockbox Manual as a valid use of the Precut.
(Note: Tou must turn the Equalizer on for the Precut to work. )

It's working! Thanks a lot. Had no idea what pre-cut did before, but it's doing its job. Oh, and I just did a search and there was a whole thread on rockbox (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,11995.0.html) where a user was concerned about SQ loss when using pre-cut. I tried reading the whole thread but I just don't understand the jargon used. I think the conclusion reached on that one is that pre-cut is safe to use, right?

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #1,432 of 3,645
Isn't the HP-P1 a direct digital connection, meaning absolutely nothing happens to the original sound bits until they are outside the iPod? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

I'm not sure what you are asking but what the hpp1 is, as far as I know, is a dac and amp. What I meant in the last post was the dac on the fostex is probably a very good dac (and you can also use a separate dac too though don't quote me on it) and you can use a separate amp out of the fostex and have a very good headphone. So then the 16/44.1 limitation on the iPod will then become the bottleneck.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #1,433 of 3,645
It's working! Thanks a lot. Had no idea what pre-cut did before, but it's doing its job. Oh, and I just did a search and there was a whole thread on rockbox (http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,11995.0.html) where a user was concerned about SQ loss when using pre-cut. I tried reading the whole thread but I just don't understand the jargon used. I think the conclusion reached on that one is that pre-cut is safe to use, right?

The precut implementation is excellent. It doesn't hurt SQ.... except that it is unavoidable in the digital realm that reducing volume reduces bit depth. Every reduction of 6 db equates with a loss of one bit. This in turn reduces the dynamic range.

A small reduction will probably have no audible negative effect but as a matter of principle you should only reduce using the precut by the smallest amount necessary. If you have usable swing on your volume pot (i.e. channels balanced etc.), use that first.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,434 of 3,645
Hello guys

Haven't followed the thread for a while. So what's the "best firmware" so far? 120802? I am still using 120529. The EQ doesn't seem to be working very well. I only add 2 db at 2000K. The pop sounding is all over the place.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #1,435 of 3,645
Quote:
Hello guys

Haven't followed the thread for a while. So what's the "best firmware" so far? 120802? I am still using 120529. The EQ doesn't seem to be working very well. I only add 2 db at 2000K. The pop sounding is all over the place.

I'm using aroldan's latest build (it's from the beginning of this month) without any problems, and I'm very pleased with it...

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,436 of 3,645
Hi all, great work on RB on the classic, I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and very impressed so far and some great info from the community in this thread!
beerchug.gif

However forgive me for going slighty OT but I wondered if there had been any devolpment on simply removing the EU volume limit on EU classics rather than completely installing RB?

I've a friend with the same classic 160gb as me, but he doesn't want the interface and non-itunes use that RB would be bring but the EU volume limit is killing the enjoyment he's getting from his classic and he's understandly jealous of my new found freedom. Has there been any changes to things like gopod since empcore and RB has been released?

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,437 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi all, great work on RB on the classic, I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and very impressed so far and some great info from the community in this thread!
beerchug.gif

However forgive me for going slighty OT but I wondered if there had been any devolpment on simply removing the EU volume limit on EU classics rather than completely installing RB?

I've a friend with the same classic 160gb as me, but he doesn't want the interface and non-itunes use that RB would be bring but the EU volume limit is killing the enjoyment he's getting from his classic and he's understandly jealous of my new found freedom. Has there been any changes to things like gopod since empcore and RB has been released?

Wait, the EU puts a volume limit on iPods/mobile devices? That doesn't sound fair...I guess it's better for everyone's hearing and if the population voted on it but that doesn't seem right. Fight..for your right..to PARTAYY!! haha
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are asking but what the hpp1 is, as far as I know, is a dac and amp. What I meant in the last post was the dac on the fostex is probably a very good dac (and you can also use a separate dac too though don't quote me on it) and you can use a separate amp out of the fostex and have a very good headphone. So then the 16/44.1 limitation on the iPod will then become the bottleneck.

I meant that isn't that limit in the iPod DAC and amp, and so if you're bypassing it with the HP-P1 then wouldn't that bottleneck/limit be gone? I don't even have any content above 16/44.1 but I'm just curious.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,438 of 3,645
Hi, all.

I finally caught up on this thread after starting around page 60 or so. I just want to say Thanks to aroldan for your efforts in making RB better and better for the Classic. And not to forget all the regular posters who provide valuable info and insight through your quick responses.

It wasn't a completely painless installation of emCORE (the oft experienced "no UMSboot to copy the .ubi file to" problem), but once I got over that hurdle it's been all Rockboxy goodness 
atsmile.gif
  (hope my smilie doesn't offend anyone! 
wink.gif
 )  I loved RB on my old iRiver, but once it finally gave up the ghost after years of faithful service (optical OUT! ah, those were the days...) I bought the only DAP with a large HDD: the iPoo. And I was BUMMED that there was no Rockboxing it. But my occasional checking on the status paid off, and here I am.

Forgive the rambling, but I'm just so psyched to have a fully functional iPoo now.

Time to load cooperpwc's theme and read the manual a little. I'm curious about this Crossfeed business. And listen to some tunes, of course.

Cheers.
ThurstonX

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,439 of 3,645
Quote:

Well, I don't know if this is possible on the iPod, as I didn't use mine with the original Apple FW, but there's a way to solve this EU volume limitation in other players, simply by changing the country/language to some country outside the EU. I've successfuly done this in a Sansa Clip+, but again, I'm not sure if it works on the iPod...

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #1,440 of 3,645
Wait, the EU puts a volume limit on iPods/mobile devices? That doesn't sound fair...I guess it's better for everyone's hearing and if the population voted on it but that doesn't seem right. Fight..for your right..to PARTAYY!! haha
I meant that isn't that limit in the iPod DAC and amp, and so if you're bypassing it with the HP-P1 then wouldn't that bottleneck/limit be gone? I don't even have any content above 16/44.1 but I'm just curious.

Don't think so since you are putting the files in the iPod not hpp1, there's no memory in hpp1 and there's no way you can put your music on your iPod when its connected to the hpp1 because you connect the iPod to hpp1 via iPod dock not headphone out and the dock is required for putting content in. One solution may be to enable manual disk management or its called something like that. Its supposed to turn the iPod into a harddrive, so you can put your documents in and other stuff. I should try to do that and report back my finding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back