Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,456 of 3,645
I'm making an informative first post (introduction, FAQ, links, instructions, etc)) for this topic, I'm in contact with Br777 who opened this. Does anyone know if it's possible to give others permissions to edit a certain post? If not, we should all contribute to an informative story which he then can copy into the first post.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,457 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm making an informative first post (introduction, FAQ, links, instructions, etc)) for this topic, I'm in contact with Br777 who opened this. Does anyone know if it's possible to give others permissions to edit a certain post? If not, we should all contribute to an informative story which he then can copy into the first post.

This is a great idea! I too in the past asked for things like aroldan's FW releases or cooperpwc's tweaks to be posted in the OP! I don't think it's possible to make a regular member able to change posts from other members. Only Admin, Mods, etc have those kinds of previleges... But still, we can gather the info, and then Br777 can post it in the OP!

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,458 of 3,645
I have just reinstalled emCore and Aldorans latest release on my iPod 7G because I was told to some pages before (http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/1320#post_8659935). I was experiencing some problems with device recognition, battery life and the player crashing if playing "some" (like 90% of all my music) wrong tracks.

Now that everything is freshly reinstalled I can't even get my PC (Win 7) to recognize it properly at all! It worked fine, almost instantly, before doing the update to Aldorans build. I don't know about USB 2.0, though. This isn't working the that build at all (Well, most of the time). But going back to the fallback image doesn't fix the problem!

Is there anything I could do about it? How does device recognition work out for all the others here?

I'm copying 105GB of music with a speed of ~720KB/s now. Please tell me there is a fix for this :frowning2:

Edit: Getting 10mb/s with the fallback image after a bunch of tries now....

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,459 of 3,645
So, I was riding to class today listening to a normal (192kb/s) mp3 file when the player sudenly froze up and started playing what seemes like 1/2 of a bar of the song over and over (as in, in an endless loop). Now here is the kicker, when it froze, the hold button was on. No reset method has worked (Menu + Center button, tried flicking the hold button, but is like rockbox locked it out), and it is still playing that one bar loop. No hard disk movement that I can hear, and when I plug it into my computer, no device is recognised. Any idea's besides letting the battery slowly die?

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,460 of 3,645
Quote:
So, I was riding to class today listening to a normal (192kb/s) mp3 file when the player sudenly froze up and started playing what seemes like 1/2 of a bar of the song over and over (as in, in an endless loop). Now here is the kicker, when it froze, the hold button was on. No reset method has worked (Menu + Center button, tried flicking the hold button, but is like rockbox locked it out), and it is still playing that one bar loop. No hard disk movement that I can hear, and when I plug it into my computer, no device is recognised. Any idea's besides letting the battery slowly die?

Flick the Hold button on and off and then hold the Select (i.e. centre) and Menu buttons at the same time. After a number of seconds it should reboot. (If it doesn't, that is a really bizarre crash. I think that you just have to let the battery die.)

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,462 of 3,645
Quote:
I have just reinstalled emCore and Aldorans latest release on my iPod 7G because I was told to some pages before (http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/1320#post_8659935). I was experiencing some problems with device recognition, battery life and the player crashing if playing "some" (like 90% of all my music) wrong tracks.

Now that everything is freshly reinstalled I can't even get my PC (Win 7) to recognize it properly at all! It worked fine, almost instantly, before doing the update to Aldorans build. I don't know about USB 2.0, though. This isn't working the that build at all (Well, most of the time). But going back to the fallback image doesn't fix the problem!

Is there anything I could do about it? How does device recognition work out for all the others here?

I'm copying 105GB of music with a speed of ~720KB/s now. Please tell me there is a fix for this :frowning2:

Edit: Getting 10mb/s with the fallback image after a bunch of tries now....

That's a very strange behavior from your iPod... Which emCORE version are you using?

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #1,464 of 3,645
Quote:
That's a very strange behavior from your iPod... Which emCORE version are you using?

I'm using version r859 of emCore. Music plays fine by the way and it doesn't drain my battery within seconds when skipping a lot anymore. Still, I need many tries to get it recognized by my computer. Already cleared the connectors and everything. But we will see what will come in the next days.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,465 of 3,645
Quote:
I'm using version r859 of emCore. Music plays fine by the way and it doesn't drain my battery within seconds when skipping a lot anymore. Still, I need many tries to get it recognized by my computer. Already cleared the connectors and everything. But we will see what will come in the next days.

Have you tried pluging it to a different computer to see if the problem is computer related?

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,466 of 3,645
Quote:

I see. Do you know if pre-amp affects the dynamic range as well? I already have that at -12.0db, so if I apply another -4.0db in pre-cut, will that result in loss of ~3 bits?

Yes, almost 3 bits. That is a lot.

A small amount is okay. For example, I drop direct gain by 2dB for the crossfeed settings that I am currently playing with. That's a non-issue (at least to my ears). However 16 dB is likely an audible issue. Does it have to be that low?

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,467 of 3,645
Quote:

Have you tried pluging it to a different computer to see if the problem is computer related?

I found it easier to connect to my laptop before the reinstallation, but that was not working well all the times either. But better I think (Laptop runs Win8 RC).
I'll just try that again sometime today.

Oh, and of course I connected it straight to the motherboard on all computers I have tried.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,468 of 3,645
Quote:
I found it easier to connect to my laptop before the reinstallation, but that was not working well all the times either. But better I think (Laptop runs Win8 RC).
I'll just try that again sometime today.

Oh, and of course I connected it straight to the motherboard on all computers I have tried

On mine I need to uninstall and reinstall the driver from time to time. Not sure why. Changing the cable also made a big difference. I'm using the stock cable now instead of a cheap replacement that I had and can connect just about every time.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #1,469 of 3,645
Quote:

Yes, almost 3 bits. That is a lot.

A small amount is okay. For example, I drop direct gain by 2dB for the crossfeed settings that I am currently playing with. That's a non-issue (at least to my ears). However 16 dB is likely an audible issue. Does it have to be that low?

Yikes, that sucks. And to think I was using that setting all the time...Now that I have all the pre-amp and EQ turned off, I think I'm hearing a bit more detail, but it could just be placebo. When I use my ES5 using the headphone out, -57db gives me a reasonable volume for the most part, but when I'm trying to use the line out to the c421 amp, it's just impossible to get a good control on volume without setting pre-amp to -12.0db. I've already decided to sell it and maybe get the arrow 4G which has a lower low gain setting.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,470 of 3,645
Quote:
Yikes, that sucks. And to think I was using that setting all the time...Now that I have all the pre-amp and EQ turned off, I think I'm hearing a bit more detail, but it could just be placebo. When I use my ES5 using the headphone out, -57db gives me a reasonable volume for the most part, but when I'm trying to use the line out to the c421 amp, it's just impossible to get a good control on volume without setting pre-amp to -12.0db. I've already decided to sell it and maybe get the arrow 4G which has a lower low gain setting.

It's more expensive but the Meier Audio Quickstep has a great volume control.

The amp not only uses the concept of active balanced ground but also has a discrete volume control (32 positions, two gain settings). This volume control is not a standard industrial solution but uses a concept in which the position of an analog potentiometer is measured using a low-power ADC and in which the output of this ADC is used to control electronic switches that set the volume level. The result is a very clean and detailed sound without any channel imbalances

Actually right now you can get a good discount on the 2Stepdance which it is replacing. (The original Stepdance is the amp that I use with my Rockboxed Classic and the ES5. Low volume is not a problem.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back