iPhone cable (with mic) for UE or JH IEM's
May 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #19 of 149
A user from this forum whom I've bought a custom LOD cable from said he was considering that avenue too. I'm all for custom cables from private users: better quality, lower prices, ultimate customer service. Win-win situation!
wink.gif

May 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 149
I was googling for this a couple days ago as I'm purchasing some UE's this week and was wondering if it was available.

To be honest, I'm shocked it hasn't already come about. UE's are everywhere these days, I see them show up all the time in my wife's celebrity magazines. You know how it is, a musician gets them, tells all their famous friends how great they are for rocking out on your iPod (iPhone) and then pretty soon they become a celebrity item. And they're all using iPhones as well.

It really would be SO great to just be walking through the city using my IE's and then answer a phone call, etc… the same way with the iPhone ear buds. Also changing volume, pausing, switching songs, etc… is pretty nice as well.

And to be honest, if either JH or UE came out with it first, I'd easily switch to that company's product just to get it.

May 19, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 149
Also, for you Mac users out there, not sure if you've seen this yet but the latest MacBook Pros work with not only the Mic but with the switcher too. You can control iTunes right from the clicker on your ear buds, change volume, etc... and then of course use the Mic for Skype, iChat or anything else. It's *really* slick.

So if UE or JH could come out with this, it'd be really wonderful.

May 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #22 of 149
if anyone in Head-fi has bought or made IEM custom cables w/an integrated inline microphone, please let us know how well it works and how much, thanks!  I'm sure a potentially big market awaits you ^^

May 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 149
This is an interesting option. It plugs into the phone and the headphone cable plugs into it. There is the other wire coming off with the buttons and mic. Has anyone tried this yet?
It seems like a better option than the in line mic adapters. They will add a lot ofextra cable legnth. With this set up you can keep the mic tucked into your pocket and pull it out and clip it to your shirt when needed.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571

May 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 149
I saw that too as the best way to implement a mic adapter w/o adding unnecessary cable length or introducing further SQ degradation, but the main complaint I read about that on Amazon is in regards with its size and how far it sticks out .__.

Another thing it doesn't have going for it is the big convenience factor of not having to manage or clip a 2nd cable onto your shirt.  A cable w/inline mic is still ideal.

May 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #25 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanoui /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It really would be SO great to just be walking through the city using my IE's and then answer a phone call, etc…

Dude, with the level of sound isolation they provide, I think that's pretty much a recipe for suicide!!
dt880smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanoui 

And to be honest, if either JH or UE came out with it first, I'd easily switch to that company's product just to get it.

Actually you can go with whatever custom IEM you prefer: they both use the same kind of cable.

May 20, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #26 of 149

Quote:

Dude, with the level of sound isolation they provide, I think that's pretty much a recipe for suicide!!
dt880smile.png

Actually you can go with whatever custom IEM you prefer: they both use the same kind of cable.

Nah, I use my IE's all the time walking through the city and you can still hear just fine people coming, cars, etc…

As for the tip about the cable, thx! I just ordered some JH16's this morning so hopefully whenever this cable comes out (if it does) I'll pick it up. I just hope UE doesn't do what they're currently doing with their UE-18 cable and only allow people who have purchased their product to buy it. Bleh. 
popcorn.gif

May 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 149
Volume control is what I really need.
I emailed JH Audio. Here's the response I just got:

"We don’t have a cable like that at this time.  What we recommend is a great Bluetooth adapter, the Sony BT15.  It allows you to control the volume from the cable and be wireless."

I'll be looking into that bluetooth adapter shortly. But I suspect the loss in sound quality will just push me to a cheaper universal IEM solution. Hopefully UE or JH will develop a cable. That would get me to order the JH16 or UE13s.

***edit***: Just looked at the bluetooth solution. 3-6 hour battery life. :frowning2:  
I can't readily figure out how to recharge. No USB charging, so it must be a wall charger. Plus one reviewer indicates background noise. Typical for a wireless solution I suppose.

--Sal

May 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #29 of 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back