iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Aug 20, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #1,621 of 1,973
I think the iphone 6 dac is pretty good. But I have started using my hifiman 560 and found that I need to drive it at full volume to get ok volume. It still sounds great. But I need a little more volume.  This is where it gets so confusing even after I tried to read up.  

As I understand, there is no way to get a analog line out from the lightning connector without actually using the CCK which is a DAC by itself.  I am assuming that the dac in the cck is likely inferior to the dac on the iphone 6?  As the new iphone is on the way, I do not want to be limited in my "dac" choices by the amp/dac device I need to drive my hifiman 560.  If the usual cck convertors to something like the fiio 30 pin to 1/8" cable works to get a actual analog line out with the iphone 6 dac converting it to analog, I guess I am ok.  

I hope folks here can explain this to me a little clearly so that I understand how the lightning cable works. thanks! I do not have the CCK but have a 30pin to analog which I use on my ipod and it sounds great with a proper amp (my hifi set)

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,622 of 1,973
I think the iphone 6 dac is pretty good. But I have started using my hifiman 560 and found that I need to drive it at full volume to get ok volume. It still sounds great. But I need a little more volume.  This is where it gets so confusing even after I tried to read up.  

As I understand, there is no way to get a analog line out from the lightning connector without actually using the CCK which is a DAC by itself.  I am assuming that the dac in the cck is likely inferior to the dac on the iphone 6?  As the new iphone is on the way, I do not want to be limited in my "dac" choices by the amp/dac device I need to drive my hifiman 560.  If the usual cck convertors to something like the fiio 30 pin to 1/8" cable works to get a actual analog line out with the iphone 6 dac converting it to analog, I guess I am ok.  

I hope folks here can explain this to me a little clearly so that I understand how the lightning cable works. thanks! I do not have the CCK but have a 30pin to analog which I use on my ipod and it sounds great with a proper amp (my hifi set)

I am not technical but yes you are right. You need the adaptor with built in DAC. I use it and can detect no difference between the DAC in the phone and the DAC in the adaptor.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,624 of 1,973

The CCK (Lightning to USB Camera Connector) doesn't contain a DAC.

The Lightning to 30-pin Adapter however does contain a DAC.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,625 of 1,973
  With all the KaiserTone praise i went ahead and purchased it. The sound quality is awesome via my 6+, but i have one major issue thus far. I cannot get playlists, albums etc to automatically advance to the next track. I manually have to press the forward button. Am i missing something? Is there an option or button i need to select in order for it to do this automatically?

I had the same issue after an update. I am not sure what I did, but all of a sudden it started working.Try resetting the iphone (I have the 6+). I think that worked. My original issue was with the first GUI I had, I could not find a volume control nor advance the track using a swipe motion. Weird. But I love the sound, the EQ capabilities, etc. And I have them all (EQ and players, I mean).

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,627 of 1,973
The CCK (Lightning to USB Camera Connector) doesn't contain a DAC.

The Lightning to 30-pin Adapter however does contain a DAC.

Correct, the 30pin is an analog output and therefor needs the DAC to convert digital to analog.

The Lightning CCK is just a converter to output a digital signal via USB and therefor doesn't need a DAC.

As for the sample rate limitations when using an external DAC it is possible to set higher sample rates in Kaisertone and similar apps provided that the external DAC supports them.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,628 of 1,973
Does anybody know if the iPhone 6 Plus' amp is analog but digitally controlled?

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,629 of 1,973
Or is this impossible due to space constraints?

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,630 of 1,973
^ "Correct, the 30pin is an analog output and therefor needs the DAC to convert digital to analog"

If the 30 pin out is analog therefor why would it need a DAC to convert digital to analog ?

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,631 of 1,973
  ^ "Correct, the 30pin is an analog output and therefor needs the DAC to convert digital to analog"

If the 30 pin out is analog therefor why would it need a DAC to convert digital to analog ?

Because it outputs in analog and receives in digital.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,633 of 1,973
  So what you meant was that  it needs a DAC in the cable connector to convert an incoming digital signal to analogue so the 30 pin idevice can receive the signal (analogue)

I'm guessing that's what he meant, yes.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,634 of 1,973
I had the same issue after an update. I am not sure what I did, but all of a sudden it started working.Try resetting the iphone (I have the 6+). I think that worked. My original issue was with the first GUI I had, I could not find a volume control nor advance the track using a swipe motion. Weird. But I love the sound, the EQ capabilities, etc. And I have them all (EQ and players, I mean).

Do you know or can test kaiser tone can play apple music files that are downloaded? It seems like onkyo player and canopener cannot and they report that it's a drm protected file or something.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,635 of 1,973
Do you know or can test kaiser tone can play apple music files that are downloaded? It seems like onkyo player and canopener cannot and they report that it's a drm protected file or something.

Yes, it plays both my FLAC files from the HD library my purchased iTunes songs in the ipod library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back