iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Aug 21, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,636 of 1,973

I'm guessing that's what he meant, yes.

The old 30 pin output on older i-devices only support USB charging, USB data , analog audio and video output.
That's the reason why the CCK has an ADC is to convert the analog ouput from an older 30-pin equipped i-device into a digital ouput that can be sent to an external DAC. 

The new lightning connector on the other hand ouputs digital signals (both audio and video) instead of analog, hence no need for the newer lighning CCK to include an ADC.
More reading material below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)

http://irq5.io/2012/06/25/the-apple-30-pin-dock-connector/

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

edit: (added a comment that iOS7 or later is needed to fully support streaming digital audio, also changed DAC to ADC for the technical perfectionists)

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,637 of 1,973

The old 30 pin output on older i-devices only support USB charging, USB data , analog audio and video output.
That's the reason why the CCK has a DAC is to convert the analog ouput from an older 30-pin equipped i-device into a digital ouput that can be sent to an external DAC. 

A DAC (confusingly called digital-to-analog convertor) works both ways analog to digital and vice versa. 

The new lightning connector on the other hand ouputs digital signals (both audio and video) instead of analog, hence no need for the newer lighning CCK to include a DAC.
More reading material below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)

http://irq5.io/2012/06/25/the-apple-30-pin-dock-connector/

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

edit: (added a comment that iOS7 or later is needed to fully support streaming digital audio)

That would be an ADC.  I don't believe a DAC can convert analog to digital.
Thanks for the explanation though; I think I confused the LOD with the CCK.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,640 of 1,973
Exactly what I did, downloaded some previously purchased to make available offline via apple music and they are playable via Kaisertone after they appear in the iPod library.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,641 of 1,973
Exactly what I did, downloaded some previously purchased to make available offline via apple music and they are playable via Kaisertone after they appear in the iPod library.

Ok this is what I see. For those I sync to iTunes or have purchased via iTunes, I have no issue with playing them via canopener or onkyo player. For music that I have not purchased but make available offline via apple music option, they show on the list but I cannot play them without that error. I am not sure if making apple music song playable offline via monthly subscription does something different.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,642 of 1,973
I don't subscribe to apple music so can't replicate but I assume that apple music flags the files differently if you have not yet purchased them to restrict the playback outside apple music. What I can confirm is that purchased music tracks are playable in Kaisertone.

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,643 of 1,973
I went ahead and started the free trial for Apple Music...
It's confirmed that "made available offline" tracks cannot be played outside apple music app.

In Kaisertone also these tracks appear with a DRM between brackets before it and are not playable.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,644 of 1,973
If using Apple Music to download offline....you won't be able to play it on any app or even convert to another files as it is being protected. Has been trying since the very first day i subscribe Apple Music. And till now none of the app i use able to play.

Unless is the songs you bought will then be able to play on app.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,645 of 1,973
If using Apple Music to download offline....you won't be able to play it on any app or even convert to another files as it is being protected. Has been trying since the very first day i subscribe Apple Music. And till now none of the app i use able to play.

Unless is the songs you bought will then be able to play on app.

That would be the same with Spotify, tidal and the others with offline files, right?

Cheers,
K

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,646 of 1,973
That would be the same with Spotify, tidal and the others with offline files, right?

Cheers,
K

I'm afraid so, tested it with Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and Apple Music... That is if you're able to find the files and put them in the right directories for your music app to see them.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,647 of 1,973
I'm afraid so, tested it with Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify and Apple Music... That is if you're able to find the files and put them in the right directories for your music app to see them.

That would be too easy - the chances are that the music is encrypted using a hash generated from your Apple ID. That means that even if you were to find the files and transfer then to somebody elses iToy and put the files into the right place, the files still wouldn't be able to be read, or extracted to be able to be used with another app.

Hardware encryption is built into all moderen iOS devices so this would be an obvious step for Apple, and other streaming services, to do to ensure the streamed music stored locally wouldn't be able to be pirated.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,648 of 1,973
That would be too easy - the chances are that the music is encrypted using a hash generated from your Apple ID. That means that even if you were to find the files and transfer then to somebody elses iToy and put the files into the right place, the files still wouldn't be able to be read, or extracted to be able to be used with another app.

Hardware encryption is built into all moderen iOS devices so this would be an obvious step for Apple, and other streaming services, to do to ensure the streamed music stored locally wouldn't be able to be pirated.

Being a musician myself I appreciate this encryption protection. Musicians have the right to get paid for their creations. I enjoy discovering new music using these streaming services (preferring Tidal because of the quality encoding and high bandwidth streaming) but when I do like a particular song or album I will purchase it. If possible as a FLAC download or alternatively as a CD to be encoded as FLAC files on my NAS. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,649 of 1,973
In a related issue, I could no longer drag and drop (manual sync) any unprotected songs from iTunes to my iPhone until I disabled Apple Music on both my windows pc and my iPhone 6+. Was freaking out over it but I read up on it and it's another Apple annoyance. Just started happening with iTunes 12.2 and the new music service. I did a head to head listening between Rhapsody and Apple Music and the former just sounded more pleasing to my ears. So no loss dumping Apple music.

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,650 of 1,973
In a related issue, I could no longer drag and drop (manual sync) any unprotected songs from iTunes to my iPhone until I disabled Apple Music on both my windows pc and my iPhone 6+. Was freaking out over it but I read up on it and it's another Apple annoyance. Just started happening with iTunes 12.2 and the new music service. I did a head to head listening between Rhapsody and Apple Music and the former just sounded more pleasing to my ears. So no loss dumping Apple music.

I've lost interest in iTunes as syncing tool a long long while ago. Use 3rd party software such as iMazing. Syncs my music to my 6 plus and makes backups too. Any app with the documents folder is accessible through it and dag and drop always works. When iOS updates and breaks the access the developer is quick to update and restore access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back