iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Sep 17, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,670 of 1,973
Is it me or did the iOS9 update improve the definition of the sound coming through the headphones output? It must be placebo but I somehow have the feeling my 6 plus seems to need even less effort to drive my IEM... Better defined and a tad more dynamic but certainly cleaner than before the update...

Forgot to mention that this is with the Kaisertone app and playing Flac files...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,671 of 1,973
I upgraded to iOS 9 and listened for a while with my iPhone 6 plus. I can't say I detect any clear improvement between iOS 8 and 9. I'll keep listening, though. Even with no improvement, the iPhone 6 plus sounds excellent, as is detailed here

Incidentally (and slightly off-topic, but since people in this thread have testified about Kaisertone on iOS I'll mention it here), I tried Kaisertone. A/B-ing between Kaisertone and Onkyo Player, to my ear Kaisertone does not have more depth or detail than Onkyo, but Kaisertone adds an unwanted bump in the high-mids. It's brighter and harsher than Onkyo. I have yet to hear a player on iOS sound as smooth, detailed, and tonally balanced as Onkyo. The folks who make Kaisertone seem to have a passion for making a great player, though, so maybe they'll get there.  Rather hard to imagine the'll surpass the Onkyo player, though.

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #1,672 of 1,973
  I upgraded to iOS 9 and listened for a while with my iPhone 6 plus. I can't say I detect any clear improvement between iOS 8 and 9. I'll keep listening, though. Even with no improvement, the iPhone 6 plus sounds excellent, as is detailed here

Incidentally (and slightly off-topic, but since people in this thread have testified about Kaisertone on iOS I'll mention it here), I tried Kaisertone. A/B-ing between Kaisertone and Onkyo Player, to my ear Kaisertone does not have more depth or detail than Onkyo, but Kaisertone adds an unwanted bump in the high-mids. It's brighter and harsher than Onkyo. I have yet to hear a player on iOS sound as smooth, detailed, and tonally balanced as Onkyo. The folks who make Kaisertone seem to have a passion for making a great player, though, so maybe they'll get there.  Rather hard to imagine the'll surpass the Onkyo player, though.

I agree with your assessment regarding Onkyo's audio capabilities.  I found that Onkyo is one of the only iOS applications that sounds pretty much identical (to my ears) as Neutron Music Player (no EQ on both).  Both I consider as the most clear and coherent iOS offline playback applications in the market today.  G' Shock's G'MIX application sounds pretty darn awesome as well, right up there with the two aforementioned applications.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,674 of 1,973
Comparing apps is very subjective imho as it also depends how you use them and paired with what headphones... One app may sound better with headphones A while the other app sounds better with headphones B.
All a matter of taste and hearing differences. ymmv
Enjoy your music guys and galls :thumbsup:

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,675 of 1,973
Is it me or did the iOS9 update improve the definition of the sound coming through the headphones output? It must be placebo but I somehow have the feeling my 6 plus seems to need even less effort to drive my IEM... Better defined and a tad more dynamic but certainly cleaner than before the update...

Forgot to mention that this is with the Kaisertone app and playing Flac files...

The same impression here with the use of the kaisertone app ,which is imho the best sounding app for the iPhone 6 . The onkyo app does not sound different with iOS 9 (sounds good , but does not reach the level of the Kaisertone app.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,676 of 1,973
Most of my time if I use the iPhone 6 for music playback I do not use the iOS offline music playback applications as much anymore, but the iOS streaming applications get a lot of use, as my favorite is TIDAL - HiFi, Lossless. For offline music playback I use the QP1R.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,677 of 1,973
Most of my time if I use the iPhone 6 for music playback I do not use the iOS offline music playback applications as much anymore, but the iOS streaming applications get a lot of use, as my favorite is TIDAL - HiFi, Lossless. For offline music playback I use the QP1R.

How is tidal? Is the music library big enough? Is it worth what they're asking monthly. Been thinking about switching from spotify.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,678 of 1,973
How is tidal? Is the music library big enough? Is it worth what they're asking monthly. Been thinking about switching from spotify.

TIDAL's sound is amazing enough to not have to worry about offline music playback applications anymore.

Their music library is growing but they do not have the same frequency of updates and new songs that Spotiify has (that's why I unfortunately subscribe to both services).

Regarding worth monthly, that is entirely up to you to come to your own conclusion if any price paying for anything is worth it to you. I personally wouldn't pay $20 a month for their Lossless service. However, to negate the full price of both Spotify and TIDAL, I pay 50% for each monthly subscription price through their student discounts. Check their respective websites for more information.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,679 of 1,973
+1 for Tidal... Got several offline albums... Playlists are so so but quality of encoding (Hifi) is very good and variety of albums is growing. Been using over 4 months now and don't regret switching from Spotify...

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,680 of 1,973
TIDAL's sound is amazing enough to not have to worry about offline music playback applications anymore.

Their music library is growing but they do not have the same frequency of updates and new songs that Spotiify has (that's why I unfortunately subscribe to both services).

Regarding worth monthly, that is entirely up to you to come to your own conclusion if any price paying for anything is worth it to you. I personally wouldn't pay $20 a month for their Lossless service. However, to negate the full price of both Spotify and TIDAL, I pay 50% for each monthly subscription price through their student discounts. Check their respective websites for more information.

Hope this helps and good luck!

nice, they have student discount too. I might subscribe now. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back