iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #601 of 1,973
  2.3 is ok with almost anything under the sun except for Sony XBA4 and lookalike iems.

Stereo crosstalk has disappointed me a little bit though. I'm pretty certain that iPhone 5s fares about 10 decibels better in that department.

In any case from now on people can weigh in subjective impressions along with objective data (this mixed approach has always served me well to choose sources).

Meh, don't worry about cross talk so much, at those levels it's inaudible. The noise floor is higher in almost all recordings.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #602 of 1,973

Meh, don't worry about cross talk so much, at those levels it's inaudible. The noise floor is higher in almost all recordings.

Yep. From -50 on i never am able to tell whether if it's -56 or -75. It's more of an academic qualm :) I like a YoY improvement in all areas.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #606 of 1,973
  Has anyone used their iPhone 6 with Tralucent Ref1s?

I have an ak100ii but just trying to decide between a note 4 and iPhoen 6+

My review of the Tralucent Audio Reference 1 (in my signature) is based on the iPhone 6's use as a source.  I have not tried it with the iPhone 6 Plus, but I heard the Plus sounds different than the 6, so it may be best to try out the Ref. 1 at your nearest cell phone store that carries the Note 4, and iPhone 6 Plus (and iPhone 6 to find out for yourself if perceived sound quality is "better" than the iPhone 6 Plus and the Note 4).  If you use the iPhone 6 or Plus, please try to use a great sounding app on the demo devices if you can get the worker to install one such as Onkyo HF Player (free).

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #607 of 1,973
I listened to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus before deciding upon the Plus because I really like the bigger screen and my friends are like, wow that's totally like a mini tablet, but I couldn't hear any sound differences between the standard iPhone 6 and the plus?

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #608 of 1,973
I'm currently using a iPhone 6 with my Sony PHA-1 DAC/AMP and a Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. I don't want to use my phone as the source because if someone calls me, it'd be a hassle with the strap on the way and I would have to lift the phone up with the PHA-1 attached and it's bulky. I just ordered a iPod Nano 4th Gen. Will my iPod nano sound as good as my iPhone 6 or worse because the iPod Nano 4th Gen is much older? Or does it even matter due to the fact that I am using a DAC/AMP anyway?

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #610 of 1,973
  Anyone that wants to get the AmpAudio case for their iPhone 6 or 6 Plus you can get $20 off right now until December 1st (http://www.ampaudio.com/r/tSJLNY4m). I purchased mine and can't wait until it comes!

Interesting.
Are there any details anywhere as to what hardware is used other than that it is a 24bit dac?

While I like the idea, I would like to know what is in there.  It is very very reasonably priced and given how good the iPhones sound by default, I would be surprised if there was a marked improvement in headphone out sound quality.

Speakerphone on the other hand would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back