iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 30, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #631 of 1,973
The one thing I have to clarify here is the way Apple products are vs Android.  I think their IOS and hardwares are different.  If you stream musics live (youtube, netflix, websites...etc), all Apple will sounds much better vs Android, and it includes the Z3.  But if you have stored files under FLAC.  The Z3 def sounds better.

I also found out the Z2 and Z3 uses the same WCD9320, and the Z2 just had a software upgrade which allows it to play High-res musics as well.  Now, the remaining differences are Z3 uses 2x TFA9890 vs Z2 with 1 TFA9890.  I bet the 2nd TFA9890 somehow was built to support the headphone output.  If this is the case, then Sony software are keeping the output down.  I am waiting on a "Root" for it then.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #632 of 1,973
I can't take seriously a headphone amplifier that delivers just 0'3 volts. Sorry.

Objectively 5s trumps the z3 at every departement: noise floor, distortion, crosstalk and output power. Hence all these subjective ideas tossed here just does not hold up well really. I find them quite esoteric really.

My 0'02.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #633 of 1,973
I can't take seriously a headphone amplifier that delivers just 0'3 volts. Sorry.

Objectively 5s trumps the z3 at every departement: noise floor, distortion, crosstalk and output power. Hence all these subjective ideas tossed here just does not hold up well really. I find them quite esoteric really.

My 0'02.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Well, perhap it is my ears that have problems when comparing FLAC playback quality between Z2-Z3-5s-Air2.  I owned both Z phones, and my wife has the rest.  To each of their own right ? I love my Z3 quality with my IM70 compares to the rest, and that is what matter to me.  I apologize if my ears are bad and not a professional audiophile, I only enjoy music, and that is all.  Again, this is stored FLAC files vs Live Streaming.

Here is TFA9890 specs http://www.nxp.com/documents/short_data_sheet/TFA9890_SDS.pdf

Nov 30, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #635 of 1,973
  I have had the Sony Z3 Compact and I find the SQ to be downright bad. I am not sure how different the Z3 is.

Not in terms of loudness, but quality.

Coming from a Taylor Swift fan.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #637 of 1,973
Well I think I gonna try out the Z3 just to hear the " natural details" you're talking about ! Till now I haven't noticed a better sound quality in any devices compared to an iphone except from a dedicated dap such as my colorfly c4

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #639 of 1,973
Haha! :)

I didn't try it with Taylor Swift's songs though. Streaming via Youtube was probably the best way to keep things constant.

Taylor Swift is surely not the perfect choice for testing sound quality, it's not that I don't like her, she's a good artist with nice songs bit might get you wrong on some frequencies !

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #640 of 1,973
Taylor Swift is surely not the perfect choice for testing sound quality, it's not that I don't like her, she's a good artist with nice songs bit might get you wrong on some frequencies !

I'd usually go with 2 songs with I test IEMs, both in Metallica's Black Album. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #642 of 1,973
Does somebody know how the iPhone 6+ and shure se 846 combo sounds without the use of a external DAC ?

Well, to my personal opinion, the Iphone 6 and plus are the same DAC as 5s, which doesn't support High-res.  Interestingly enough Apple A8 do support High-res decoding....it just can not make it happen with this cirrus chip.  Apple is holding back for 6s and 6s plus.

For now, comparing between 5s and WCD9320 in general, the WCD9320 does sound slightly better with more detail and extensions.  I do mean all androids with Snap dragon and WCD9320.  Last time when I tried Poweramp with Z3, it didn't do too well.  I think poweramp needed an update.  The Z3 however, did very well with the Walkman app, with low impedance headphones, I loved the Z3 1-2 notches more than 5s.

People can keep denying the Z3 audio quality vs Iphone X.  I had agreed about the Iphone music quality for so long until now.  Iphones are lacking behind the Android in this department.  Though, I will not be surprised if the next gen will sport better music capabilities.  Speaking of pure headphones music without external DAC.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #643 of 1,973
  Well, to my personal opinion, the Iphone 6 and plus are the same DAC as 5s, which doesn't support High-res.  Interestingly enough Apple A8 do support High-res decoding....it just can not make it happen with this cirrus chip.  Apple is holding back for 6s and 6s plus.

For now, comparing between 5s and WCD9320 in general, the WCD9320 does sound slightly better with more detail and extensions.  I do mean all androids with Snap dragon and WCD9320.  Last time when I tried Poweramp with Z3, it didn't do too well.  I think poweramp needed an update.  The Z3 however, did very well with the Walkman app, with low impedance headphones, I loved the Z3 1-2 notches more than 5s.

People can keep denying the Z3 audio quality vs Iphone X.  I had agreed about the Iphone music quality for so long until now.  Iphones are lacking behind the Android in this department.  Though, I will not be surprised if the next gen will sport better music capabilities.  Speaking of pure headphones music without external DAC.

Even if these guys at gsmarena are not the best out there measuring gear..hey it takes a leap of faith to deem the Z3 even as respectable (more even so taking into account that the figures are belting out the pale 0'3 volts which is the max output of that phone):

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-review-1140p7.php

If you put together that numbers together with the HTC M8 figures putting out 1.3 volts (or an iPhone delivering 1 volt) one gets dizzy thinking  how Sony could came to this. Don't think under Akio Morita's helm things would have gotten so middle of the road.It's no wonder they are closing divisions and barely stay on the black.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #644 of 1,973
I own both iphone6 and z3. I'm kind of surprised that someone else found z3 to sound good as the previous models weren't exactly known for sq. I really enjoy the sq of iPhone6 but the z3 surprised me with its clear detailed sound. It lacks volume compared to iphone6 but has enough to drive decent amount of iems.
I use both complementing each other in both operating system and subtle sound quality differences~

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #645 of 1,973
We all want the best value for our hard earned money. That's why most people research the products they want to buy to get the best. Numbers and measurements help to evaluate, eliminate  and come to conclusions but I always tell my friends to bring the music they know well with them to audition new products like speakers, hifi equipment, cables and headphones... etc.

Upload to youtube or Soundcloud etc. if you're not able to insert your favourites collection of music on an micro SD card.
Everyone's hearing is personal and subjective, measurements and numbers are presumed objective but don't always make sense.
Advice from others, reviews and discussions help to make sense of all the clutter in this industry.

In the end, audition the various equipment with your music. Listen for yourself and based on what you like, decide to keep what you already have or buy what you found out sounds better. Lastly, enjoy your music, that's why you spent your money 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back