iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #616 of 1,973
  Just found this review about the iPhone6 and comparing it to a HTC M8 and Fiio X1. Seems like is not as powerful as the HTC One in 4.4.2, but since it got updated to 4.4.4, they are almost matched. Fiio X1 still triumphes them both in power output, distortion and dinamic range.

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/calidad-sonido-smartphones-iphone-6-htc-one-m8-fiio-x1/

But iOs interface is so damn gorgeous compared to the player in the X1 and M8...My favourite Android phone is still the SOny Xpedia Z2 but is a curse the poor headphone output...

I talked to the folks running these tests and they told me that money not being an issue the iPhone is best option for iems. Similar sq, better UI and battery life. Of course it sets you back hundreds of dollars where X1 + card is less than 200$.

M8 seems to be hindered by android by Kit Kat audio engine but i've listened to it and it's the best smartphone sq wise after iPhones. It might be not saying much though cause competition is light years behind (specially output power wise).

I've listened to all iPhones since 3Gs and 5s is the one i like better. As neutral, quick,accurate and hifi as it gets till you run out of voltage (which with iems and non capped iPhones is never in my experience).

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #617 of 1,973
Well, I got the chance to compare sound quality from my Z3 vs Ipad air 2.  

Ipad air 2 

Pros: Gorgeous Loud speakers with details and bass....wow!

High headphone out put, almost 2x louder than Z3

Cons: Not as detailed in headphones out put, mid is veiled, lack of details in the whole spectrum if you use headphones alone.

Xperia Z3

Pros:  Excellence headphones quality, very detailed

Cons: Low headphones output level, not as good with loud speakers. ....though if you care about music quality, why care about the loud speakers right ?

Verdicts:  If you enjoy more apps, and better interface + security, you can not beat Apple

If you enjoy more music, and android and pictures, there is nothing to beat Z3

Edit: Actually the bass, mid, high, and music extensions from the Z3 are all better than the Ipad Air 2. Sony did not lie about the Z3 capability of high-res musics

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #618 of 1,973
Hi ! I just purchased the iphone 6 and compared to my 5s it has more bass and sounds close to the Beats Audio in my HTC One M7,as Apple own Beats, do you think the dac has been tuned with Beats audio libs?

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #619 of 1,973
Hi ! I just purchased the iphone 6 and compared to my 5s it has more bass and sounds close to the Beats Audio in my HTC One M7,as Apple own Beats, do you think the dac has been tuned with Beats audio libs?

I doubt that.  It has more bass and high than my Ipad Air, but nothing too special compare to the Z3.  Believe it or not, the Z3 bass is actually with more thumb and more extensions across the whole spectrum.  The bad thing about the Z3 is it output level at headphone output.

The Iphone 6 and Air 2 uses the new Cirrus Logic though

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #620 of 1,973

Certainly the 5s sounds more neutral or hifi to my ears. Even though i quite liked the 6 hpo.

Running seems like a great idea until you actually start running

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #622 of 1,973
I have had the Sony Z3 Compact and I find the SQ to be downright bad. I am not sure how different the Z3 is.

Not in terms of loudness, but quality.

Nov 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #623 of 1,973
Actually it is true my Ipad Air on a super low bass it gets some distortion, the Air 2 does not, though the Z3 out performs both !

I tried the Z2, it wasn't great to my ears and sounded dull in comparison to an iphone 5s, I don't think that Sony changed everything to make it night and day in the Z3, somehow I admit that the Z3 along with most mid and high end xperia devices support up to 24/96 on flac whereas Apple doesn't !

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #624 of 1,973
I tried the Z2, it wasn't great to my ears and sounded dull in comparison to an iphone 5s, I don't think that Sony changed everything to make it night and day in the Z3, somehow I admit that the Z3 along with most mid and high end xperia devices support up to 24/96 on flac whereas Apple doesn't !

Z3 does up to 24/192 not 24/96.  Sony officially claimed that the Z2 was capable of playing high-res music but did not have the converter built in (hardware.)  The Z3 does have the built in converter, and all you need is a high-res capability headphones to play your high-res music.  If you have a chance, try it out, it really is day/night.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #625 of 1,973
Z3 does up to 24/192 not 24/96.  Sony officially claimed that the Z2 was capable of playing high-res music but did not have the converter built in (hardware.)  The Z3 does have the built in converter, and all you need is a high-res capability headphones to play your high-res music.  If you have a chance, try it out, it really is day/night.
When you say day/night do you mean against the 5s or z3 compared to z2 ?

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #626 of 1,973
When you say day/night do you mean against the 5s or z3 compared to z2 ?

Against Both, especially the Z2.  I agreed the Z2 was not that impressive vs 5s, but the Z3 is ways better.  It still has that low headphones output still =/, which is Mezzh.  The Z3 is slightly better than the Iphone 6 and Air 2, which uses the newer Cirrus Logic as well.  It just can't have that powerful output jack =/.  Z3 sounds details with natural sound while the 6 and Air 2 sounds artificial and some details are lacked out.  This is from my Flacs sources which is only 16 bits 44khz for now.

Also, dont ask me what kind of built in converter the new Z3 has, which I have been digging around for months.  The only thing I see it is from Ifix it tear down, and it has 2 TFA9890 chips.  I wonder if these 2 are the converters they talked about and not just for loud speakers amplifier.  If these 2 are it, then the Nexus 6 will also be very good in audio quality as well.

My conclusion on the Z3 is that the music playback from the Z3 has more details and extensions, which if you play it with high quality headphones, it can become a very natural musical sounding things to your ears.  I use ATH-IM70, and I love it.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #627 of 1,973
Against Both, especially the Z2.  I agreed the Z2 was not that impressive vs 5s, but the Z3 is ways better.  It still has that low headphones output still =/, which is Mezzh.  The Z3 is slightly better than the Iphone 6 and Air 2, which uses the newer Cirrus Logic as well.  It just can't have that powerful output jack =/.  Z3 sounds details with natural sound while the 6 and Air 2 sounds artificial and some details are lacked out.  This is from my Flacs sources which is only 16 bits 44khz for now.

Also, dont ask me what kind of built in converter the new Z3 has, which I have been digging around for months.  The only thing I see it is from Ifix it tear down, and it has 2 TFA9890 chips.  I wonder if these 2 are the converters they talked about and not just for loud speakers amplifier.  If these 2 are it, then the Nexus 6 will also be very good in audio quality as well.

My conclusion on the Z3 is that the music playback from the Z3 has more details and extensions, which if you play it with high quality headphones, it can become a very natural musical sounding things to your ears. 

What earphone are you using?

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #628 of 1,973

My conclusion on the Z3 is that the music playback from the Z3 has more details and extensions, which if you play it with high quality headphones, it can become a very natural musical sounding things to your ears.  I use ATH-IM70, and I love it.
Very interesting. I'm still using a 5s with a set of shure 846's for portable use and love the sound but intended getting a 6 but unfortunately held off because of EU volume cap. My plan today is go and have a listen to a z3 and see for myself, thanks Whitigir .

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #629 of 1,973
Very interesting. I'm still using a 5s with a set of shure 846's for portable use and love the sound but intended getting a 6 but unfortunately held off because of EU volume cap. My plan today is go and have a listen to a z3 and see for myself, thanks Whitigir .

You are welcome, come back with your feed backs :) 

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #630 of 1,973

I just tested out the Z3 with my CIEM at a local shop listening to youtube videos. The iPhone 5S still holds the edge in dynamics, sound stage and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back