iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #271 of 399
I remember when I worked at BestBuy, during the initial period of prototype/alpha testing,

we would test the BBY branded docks, the iPhone/Ipods would all bark, "this USB device is unsupported blah.... " but then it would still play music without an issue. It would control the iDevice also (fast forward, Fast Backwards, Next, Previous etc).

So if that is still the same, all the DACs should technically still work using the Lighting to USB cable provided by Apple. It might bark that it is an unsupported device but should work.

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #274 of 399
Quote:

CLAS owners could do that right now. Havent seen a single post from a CLAS owner with one of the new iDevices.David from Cypher Labs hasnt updated his Sept 12 blog entry either. 

The Solo (CLAS) works great with the iPhone 5 and new iDevices. 

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #275 of 399
Ok, so you can get digital out on the USB to a USB dac on the iPhone 5? This is what I am reading, I just want to confirm. While I mostly use the DX100, I need anew phone and it would be a pleasure to be able to get the digital output vs the internal dac/amp. I was thinking of the Samsung but after looking at them, they are getting like a small tablet and the next one is supposed to be even larger. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #276 of 399
I have not seen that confirmed yet anywhere

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #278 of 399
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #279 of 399
Quote:
Did Spotify start streaming all their content at 320k?  Last year when I checked Spotify only had a small portion of their catalog at the higher rate.  That was one of the reasons I went to MOG, but alas, there is no free lunch since their model of referrals and exploring amounts to only a few hours of free tunes.  I have given up on these streaming models and find I have more music on my hard drives to fill my iPod many times over and will never hear the same thing twice If I like.

I know not everyone can afford it, but MOG is only five bucks a month for unlimited. And ten bucks a month for unlimited plus the app. But you still get 320kbps in the five dollar version, whereas Spotify you need to get the premium ten dollar a month subscription to even get 320kbps in the first place. Also I've personally found MOG's selection to be better, but that may just be for the music I listen to.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #280 of 399
Also, I'm really hoping the new Touch has a decent DAC. I was comparing the DAC in my iPod Classic to the one in my Galaxy Nexus, and the Gnex destroys it. And it's definitely the DAC, not the amp - the Galaxy Nexus headphone jack with my RE ZEROS sounded night and day better than the iPod Classic with a Leckerton UHA-4 as the amp.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #282 of 399
Quote:
I remember when I worked at BestBuy, during the initial period of prototype/alpha testing,

we would test the BBY branded docks, the iPhone/Ipods would all bark, "this USB device is unsupported blah.... " but then it would still play music without an issue. It would control the iDevice also (fast forward, Fast Backwards, Next, Previous etc).

So if that is still the same, all the DACs should technically still work using the Lighting to USB cable provided by Apple. It might bark that it is an unsupported device but should work.

@figgie, and others, for the love of God - the name of the new cable/interface is LIGHTNING - not LIGHTING. 

I swear that if I see that one more time, my freaking head is going to explode. Its a little thing, sure, but somehow it just really annoys the living shinola out of me. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #283 of 399
Quote:

@figgie, and others, for the love of God - the name of the new cable/interface is LIGHTNING - not LIGHTING. 

I swear that if I see that one more time, my freaking head is going to explode. Its a little thing, sure, but somehow it just really annoys the living shinola out of me. 

You really need to work out that anger issue with some good old head banging music
wink_face.gif

Come on dude, you're an Ozzie throw on some AC/DC

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #284 of 399
Quote:
You really need to work out that anger issue with some good old head banging music
wink_face.gif

Come on dude, you're an Ozzie throw on some AC/DC

Sure, thats what we do in Oz - drive around in Holdens eating meat pies with Acker-Dacker visibly flexing the glass in the doors. I DO have a couple of AC-DC tracks, and I may well be the only person on this board who can claim to have seen the band when Angus really WAS old enough to wear that school uniform, but they are a long way from my preferred choice of 'head-banging music'. I had discovered Rush, a lifelong addiction, long before Bon died - not exactly headbangers but at concert volume I'm sure they've deafened a few people over the years. Still Canada's finest export, IMO. Perhaps I will close this browser and listen to 'Time Stand Still' for the bazillionth time.  

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #285 of 399
Quote:

Sure, thats what we do in Oz - drive around in Holdens eating meat pies with Acker-Dacker visibly flexing the glass in the doors. I DO have a couple of AC-DC tracks, and I may well be the only person on this board who can claim to have seen the band when Angus really WAS old enough to wear that school uniform, but they are a long way from my preferred choice of 'head-banging music'. I had discovered Rush, a lifelong addiction, long before Bon died - not exactly headbangers but at concert volume I'm sure they've deafened a few people over the years. Still Canada's finest export, IMO. Perhaps I will close this browser and listen to 'Time Stand Still' for the bazillionth time.  

Ride the "Lighting" - Metallica :wink:

heheh

that ought to bang your head quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back