iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Sep 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #256 of 399
lol if they added Micro SD Support and a good Line Out Sony would have a very good Chance of dominating the market segment (Apple, Cowons, etc).

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #257 of 399
Quote:

My point exactly!

You do realize that at the same storage capacity, the iPhone is $450US ($500CAD) more expensive than an iPod touch right? That's $450 more profit for Apple.

I think they have to absorb a few more costs on account of it being a phone and all. Fortunately, Samsung have agreed to fund those costs in an act of incredible generosity.  
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #258 of 399
i think most people get an ipod touch because they either have a phone already and need something with easy to use software to play music
or someone like me who wants a smartphone but doesnt want to pay $40 per month in phone bills
it pretty much does everything the iphone does except 4g and have a real phone number (but theres wifi for internet and "phone calls" can be made with stuff like facetime)

i like the droid smartphones out now but the thing i dont get is why samsung or sony or other companies cant make a portable music player with droid which is capable of stacking up the the touch in terms of features
samsung and sony sure have android, but they dont bother updating it
they have shorter battery life, if i recall correctly
and they screen has lower resolution

if they fixed those i would get them, but those were the real deal breakers for me and the reason why im going with apple

edit: also they charge the same price or higher than the ipod touch

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #259 of 399
So is the consensus -after the post from peter etc - that the iphone5 will only shake (digital usb out) with authorized usb dac's ie CLAS, Fostex etc, but wont freely like the ipad does with CCK??

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #260 of 399
Quote:
lol if they added Micro SD Support and a good Line Out Sony would have a very good Chance of dominating the market segment (Apple, Cowons, etc).

They do have a line out(the models with the WM-Port)......just no card slot.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #263 of 399
Quote:
Not everyone agrees with him:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152784/authentication-chips-discovered-in-teardown-of-apples-new-lightning-connector/40#post_2196639

Makes a lot of sense what they're saying. I'm simply looking forward to someone actually connecting a usb dac to the lightning to usb cable and seeing if it works.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #265 of 399
Quote:
Makes a lot of sense what they're saying. I'm simply looking forward to someone actually connecting a usb dac to the lightning to usb cable and seeing if it works.

CLAS owners could do that right now. Havent seen a single post from a CLAS owner with one of the new iDevices.David from Cypher Labs hasnt updated his Sept 12 blog entry either. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #266 of 399
So I went out today to buy an old model 64 GB ipod touch. All the shops that I went to did not have it stock. They did not even have the 32 GB stock. Some shops said they will no longer stock it dissipate the decison made by apple to keep the older version ipod touch models. 

The two shop I visited had low stock of the classic as well. They were not some small electronic shops, they were major electronic retail shops! 

I live in Australia by the way.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #267 of 399
Quote:
So I went out today to buy an old model 64 GB ipod touch. All the shops that I went to did not have it stock. They did not even have the 32 GB stock. Some shops said they will no longer stock it dissipate the decison made by apple to keep the older version ipod touch models. 

The two shop I visited had low stock of the classic as well. They were not some small electronic shops, they were major electronic retail shops! 

I live in Australia by the way.

There's a 32GB one on the Apple Refurbished online store. http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch/32gb

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #268 of 399
Sep 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #269 of 399
Quote:

CLAS owners could do that right now. Havent seen a single post from a CLAS owner with one of the new iDevices.David from Cypher Labs hasnt updated his Sept 12 blog entry either. 

One owner has confirmed that the iPhone5 works with the Fostex HP-P1 (isnt that the name of the iDevice dac/amp)

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #270 of 399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back