iPad mini + camera connection kit + Dac = : )
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #106 of 144
Hi all,

I have just successfully setup my new iPad mini retina 128GB with Lightning-to-USB-Camera together with unpowered 4-port USB hub and connected to my Dragonfly v1.2 and everything works, using Spotify extreme quality configuration.

But I have invested in 128GB to load FLAC 24/96 files, and have some questions:
1. Which is the best FLAC player for iOS 7?
2. How do I setup Dragonfly to work on 96kHz and not by defaut (green light)?

One of the USB hub ports has an USB stick with 64GB with tons of FLAC files but it is not seen by iPad,
3. Which USB filesystem does iPad support? Now 64GB is FAT32
4. How do I transfer files from USB pendrive to FLAC player folder?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #108 of 144
Thanks a lot. I have started with FLAC Player and it setups DragonFly to 96kHz.
I will try Golden Ears; does it allow to download album/songs via WiFi?

Which sources do you use to download high quality FLAC? My experience with someones is they have been created since a Vynil rip 24/96 "at home" and final quality is not better than Spotify 320kbps (or my ears are not so good).

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #109 of 144
I like nPlayer at home as it is easy to stream files from the Synology server.

For hi res files HDTracks has a large selection, though some people think some of their files are not truly 24/96 even when billed as such.
Pono will be interesting once it is up and running.

The term "download" can also imply torrents and the like and we certainly will not go there.

You can also rip your DVD Audio discs pretty easily and there is a convoluted way to rip SACD discs using modified early PS3 units. Computer Audiophile is the place to read up on the SACD conversions.

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #110 of 144
Is it then possible to play FLAC via wi-fi on IPad? I've tried with "Airplay It" and it doesn't work. Only ALAC, AAC, AIFF, WAV seem to work over wi-fi for me. Please, someone enlighten me! Thank you .

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #114 of 144
I've tried Flac streaming with Verbatim MediaShare wireless and Kingston widrive.
For the first : I use a microsd cart in an adaptateur SD (Verbatim MS Wireless : wifi adhoc or pont, with an usb connector for keys and DD, and a SD connector, compatible with sD, SDHC, SDXC.)
When the audio format isn't compatible with iTunes and IPad... It's possible to open with a third application.
It's right with Golden Ear (which opened but you must click the "play" button...)
It's also compatible with Gplayer ( all opened alone) with OPlayer (lite)
With Ace Player, it's possible to stream by Samba...

For the Kingston : it's possible ... But take more time with Golden Ear and music player and Ace Music.

This for the applications I have on the IPad...

Possible to run by UPNP/DLAN but I don.t try for.

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #115 of 144
Hi indieman,

I have just received the cute small USB hat bought at amazon.com, but it does not work with ipad mini retina 128GB+3G.
What do I have to do to get it works properly?
Meanwhile I purchased this 4-port USB hub, http://trust.com/en/all-products/14591-vecco-4-port-usb-20-mini-hub--black, and it works fantastic but it is too big for travelling and I would like to use the small one. What do you suggest?

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #116 of 144
  Hi indieman,

I have just received the cute small USB hat bought at amazon.com, but it does not work with ipad mini retina 128GB+3G.
What do I have to do to get it works properly?
Meanwhile I purchased this 4-port USB hub, http://trust.com/en/all-products/14591-vecco-4-port-usb-20-mini-hub--black, and it works fantastic but it is too big for travelling and I would like to use the small one. What do you suggest?

I was mentioning to use this one

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #117 of 144
Unfortunately support for usb hub is based on how the hub communicates with the idevice. If the hub communicates a higher mA rating than the device supports, it will not work :frowning2:

Something like this might work if it communicates a lower mA to the device...

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #119 of 144
Somebody do you know this can i use with apple lightning camera kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB0001LS3EI%2Fref%3Dcm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_7 and powered Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #120 of 144
Since it's just an extension, it probably won't work. You need a hub or something similar that had its own chip and meets apples mA requirements.

Anyone know if ios 8 has improved dac support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back