iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #166 of 276
That is true, but knowing that i can't do something normal might irk many people :/ If it's the charger and maybe cable problem...then that can be fixed..either through Apple offering the same plan as they did with the bumpers or a 3rd party will make one..and call it super ipad charger or something

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #167 of 276

Quote:
A vocal minority. They'll sell well because they're a) great b) only the most anal of customers are going to put it under a heavy load while charging just to have something to complain about. This is far less of a story than Antennagate and the iPhone 4, like the previous ones, was a huge success.

Have you read the posts on the Apple Forums?  Many people aren't putting them under heavy loads.  I'm running iMessage as the only app open and it won't take a charge.  That's a defect anyway you look at it.

Apple actually removed a post of mine today where I referenced the Consumer Reports article, and sent me an e-mail telling me they removed it.  I guess they knew what happened last time Consumer Reports got involved with the iPhone 4.  That was Antennagate, this is Batterygate.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #168 of 276

Quote:
Have you read the posts on the Apple Forums?  Many people aren't putting them under heavy loads.  I'm running iMessage as the only app open and it won't take a charge.  That's a defect anyway you look at it.

There's also that. Now do you know or has it been confirmed what type of defect yet? Could a firmware update fix it? Is it the iPad's battery? Dock section? Power Management Chip? Transfer Cable? Or Charger?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #169 of 276

Quote:
A vocal minority. They'll sell well because they're a) great b) only the most anal of customers are going to put it under a heavy load while charging just to have something to complain about. This is far less of a story than Antennagate and the iPhone 4, like the previous ones, was a huge success.

I agree.  A more powerful tablet with 4 times more pixels on the screen that gets very warm (not uncomfortably so) and has issues holding a charge while running the most taxing app on the market is not much of a story (if it was, my HP laptop would be an even bigger story..I actually had to get a laptop cooler to sit it on so my legs wouldn't burn).  For the few folks that play games for several days straight and/or don't plug in their iPad at night, it may pose a problem.  For the rest of us, it is not an issue at all.

I personally believe that iPodPJ has an issue that is not normal.   Otherwise, I and several others must have gotten very lucky.  They sold 3 million units over the weekend, so I would not be surprised if there were more than a few faulty iPads on the market.  iPodPJ, you have posted several news stories that are mainly posting the same thing as the CR story.  I have not seen any of your links that make the same claims you have made...which is why I believe you have a faulty iPad.  I also have first hand experience with my own iPad and it does not have the same issues you are having.

Conversely, the iPhone 4 issue affected every iPhone on the market and was something the could affect everyone that made a call and held the phone in a certain way. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #171 of 276
There's also that. Now do you know or has it been confirmed what type of defect yet? Could a firmware update fix it? Is it the iPad's battery? Dock section? Power Management Chip? Transfer Cable? Or Charger?

All Apple has told me is that they are aware there is an issue that is affecting a lot of units and the engineers are trying to determine how to fix it, if fixable without doing a recall on those units. As I posted yesterday I think it was, they have received many calls about the battery issue but even more calls about the heat and screen yellowing. Keep in mind the average user may not be as acutely aware of this issue as the more technologically apt individuals. Most users aren't going to be paying attention to how much the unit is charging so it wouldn't surprise me if less people are reporting it even though it may still occur on their unit.

I agree.  A more powerful tablet with 4 times more pixels on the screen that gets very warm (not uncomfortably so) and has issues holding a charge while running the most taxing app on the market is not much of a story (if it was, my HP laptop would be an even bigger story..I actually had to get a laptop cooler to sit it on so my legs wouldn't burn).  For the few folks that play games for several days straight and/or don't plug in their iPad at night, it may pose a problem.  For the rest of us, it is not an issue at all.

I personally believe that iPodPJ has an issue that is not normal.   Otherwise, I and several others must have gotten very lucky.  They sold 3 million units over the weekend, so I would not be surprised if there were more than a few faulty iPads on the market.  iPodPJ, you have posted several news stories that are mainly posting the same thing as the CR story.  I have not seen any of your links that make the same claims you have made...which is why I believe you have a faulty iPad.  I also have first hand experience with my own iPad and it does not have the same issues you are having.

Conversely, the iPhone 4 issue affected every iPhone on the market and was something the could affect everyone that made a call and held the phone in a certain way. 

Laptops are known lap warmers, the iPad is not. They could have relocated the A5X processor which is the source of the heat to the middle left of the unit instead of the bottom left where people hold it. That would have been proper planning and development.

The new iPads were made at different Foxconn facilities at different times so it could be that several batches are defective and not all. I just find it more likely that more units are defective than not, because I've already had two from different places, and the stores that I've visited and called have noticed their iPads not fully charging either.

If you read the reviews, everyone is stating different charging and depleting times. Some, like me, drop 20% or more in an hour and can't charge while using. Others only drop 15% in one hour and it takes them longer to charge up when powered down than even mine! So there are lots of different charging and depletion times which means that something isn't operating consistently, whether it be the charger, processor, battery, light bar.....

I believe it was also mentioned somewhere that at the very beginning of production Apple was using Sharp and LG as well as Samsung for the display portion but they couldn't maintain a high level of consistency so Apple switched to Samsung entirely. Perhaps the earlier Sharp and LG versions, if they are out there, are functioning properly but the newer Samsungs aren't, or vice versa.

It's all just speculation for now as to WHAT the exact problem is, but there is certainly a problem. If you have a unit that doesn't get too hot, charges while plugged in while you're using it, and don't have any yellowing of the screen then consider yourself very lucky.

My personal hotspot won't activate either for some reason, it just spins and spins forever, but that's an issue I'm not really concerned with until the other ones are resolved.

To conclude, like the one article mentioned.... If the new iPad is showing double the power draw as the iPad 2 but only has a 70% larger battery, well then you can do the math and see why the charger isn't charging it while in use.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #172 of 276
We ordered close to 50 iPads delivered on the first day and none that I know of having any issues.  We are not in major gaming but we do tax the 4G pretty hard with our in-house apps.

And when all those units are plugged in and being used, are you constantly showing a 100% charge on every unit? Maybe you could find out what percentage are and aren't. Thanks.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #173 of 276
I did sent out an email asked anyone having issue charging or too warm and no one reply back having issue.  All of them did reply the email.  I for myself, burnt thru 2GB of 4G and only charged the iPad once.  Few of the are on the dock in a lab and showed 100% charged, it is not in sleep mode, it is running a intensive IOPS client (checking in every second) monitoring the lap equipment.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #174 of 276

Quote:
I did sent out an email asked anyone having issue charging or too warm and no one reply back having issue.  All of them did reply the email.  I for myself, burnt thru 2GB of 4G and only charged the iPad once.  Few of the are on the dock in a lab and showed 100% charged, it is not in sleep mode, it is running a intensive IOPS client (checking in every second) monitoring the lap equipment.

Wow iPads to monitor lab equipment? Can we get a pic on what that looks like?

Like stated above, the employee's using the iPad's may not be tech savy enough to notice, and are probably feeling pretty nice using the brand spanking new iPad :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #175 of 276
Sorry, I don't have access to those lab. They are pretty much air tight lab that require special training, they are pretty tech savvy than you think they are. When I asked for battery percentage of iPads on the dock, it is pretty hard to miss that 100% thing on top right corner.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #177 of 276
Just FYI....I left the house at 8:30 AM this morning with a 100% charge.  Nothing running...at 12:00 I kicked on bluetooth for my speakers at work (belkin plug deal), ran pandora for 6 hours straight streaming over wifi, mostly with screen off, but a little web surfing here and there, say 30 mins worth.  Left work at 6:00PM, went to my other job and used it for notes and a reading app for about an hour or so of active screen time.  Just got home, checked my mail, twitter, so another 10 minutes or so all on wifi.  Battery is sitting pretty at 65%.  7 apps are sitting in the background right now....

I'm not doubting your problem...hell, my screen was a little yellowed when I first powered it up (even commented on it somewhere on Facebook).  Since then it has cleared right up and no issues with anything. I suppose its possible that I might have one of the LG screens since i have a week 2 january iPad, that seems early enough to make sense....without opening the critter up I'm not sure how to check that out....

Considering they sold 3 million of these things over the weekend (wow! in its own right), I'm sure there will be a percentage that has issues.  And we all know that people with issues will speak up louder because their $500+ device doesn't meet their expectations....return it and hope you get one that does, or get your money back.  I think the whole consumer reports thing is just adding fuel to the fire...its technology.  tech fails - sometimes epic.  Doesn't mean the whole line is junk....just a sample there of.  I've been a pc tech for almost 20 years now - shall we discuss the fiasco of the AMD k-6?  How about the nVidia GPU failures in HP laptops, or some Apple laptops.... its disappointing when our anticipation of a product gets crushed, but we deal with it and move on...

Anyway....i've said my peace on this....i'm still interested if we see a pattern of failure as manufacturing dates progress....

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #178 of 276
Maybe not enough "happy" iPad 3 owners are speaking out. Anyway mine is fine...no charging problems, no heat problems (a little hotter than my iPad 1 but not MacbookPro 17" hot if you get my meaning). No WiFi issues too.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #179 of 276
Maybe not enough "happy" iPad 3 owners are speaking out. Anyway mine is fine...no charging problems, no heat problems (a little hotter than my iPad 1 but not MacbookPro 17" hot if you get my meaning). No WiFi issues too.

Yeah I've read about the WiFi issues but I have no problem with that. Most likely people's routers but Apple gear is more sensitive than others.

Interesting.... My iPad just jumped from 100% to 98%. Where did 99 go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back