iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #136 of 276

Quote:
Someone sent me this link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2117141/iPad-3-reviews-Users-mob-forums-complain-new-Apple-gadget-overheats.html

Yikes. I hope Apple gets themselves together. It's not like them to release something like this. I think the iPad 3 may have been put out too soon w/o rigorous QA. Apple, I think, may be releasing things for the sake of making money. Not that there are many recent examples, but I'm pretty against the release of OSX mountain lion. Granted, it's not anything special or different from lion, but it's way too soon for a roll-out of a whole new OS.

At least my Xoom doesn't overheat and charges
biggrin.gif
haha I joke I joke I kid I kid
redface.gif

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #137 of 276

Quote:
Yikes. I hope Apple gets themselves together. It's not like them to release something like this. I think the iPad 3 may have been put out too soon w/o rigorous QA. Apple, I think, may be releasing things for the sake of making money. Not that there are many recent examples, but I'm pretty against the release of OSX mountain lion. Granted, it's not anything special or different from lion, but it's way too soon for a roll-out of a whole new OS.

At least my Xoom doesn't overheat and charges
biggrin.gif
haha I joke I joke I kid I kid
redface.gif

Actually, what you're saying is partly true, the latest OSX from Apple wasn't really well received by reviewers like Engadget
And Apple was always known to charge premium for their products... granted, most of them are beautiful in design, so a lot of people can justify the price they pay

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #138 of 276

Actually, what you're saying is partly true, the latest OSX from Apple wasn't really well received by reviewers like Engadget
And Apple was always known to charge premium for their products... granted, most of them are beautiful in design, so a lot of people can justify the price they pay

And surely Apple retail stores don't come cheap either. :)

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #139 of 276

Quote:

If you're talking about Lion, I have it and prefer it for the most part over Snow Leopard. There are a couple compatibility issues with some software, but for the most part I like it. I just think Mountain Lion is totally unnecessary, because it's more of an update than a whole new OS.

On a side note, I've always wondered what Apple will do when they run out of big cats to name their OS' after

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #141 of 276
Did they confirm your battery issue?  It is well known that it takes longer to charge because of the new larger battery.  People were discussing this issue on Friday.  I dock mine at night and run the clock app (as I mentioned) and it is always charged in the morning.  I did the same thing for years with the original, so it isn't an issue at all for me.  Also, like I mentioned, I streamed video on it while it was plugged in and the iPad stayed at 100 percent battery power.  I still think you have a bad charger, a bad outlet, or a bad iPad.  

The heat issue could be a problem for people using their iPad without a case.  I have not noticed the heat at all when I had it in a cheap pleather case, but after I read an article on the subject, I pulled it out of the case and it was warm.  Not nearly as warm as most laptops, but it is a lot warmer than the always cool original iPad I own. 

As the article mentioned, the original iPad would shut down when it was hot outside.  Obviously, the new iPad is already running warm, so I don't think the shut off default is set as low.  I am curious to see how it holds up to outside heat when compared to the original.   

*  Also found it interesting that the one article used the number of hits on a forum in the article.  These hits do not mean that people are having the issue and the number of responses don't either.  Many people read these type of threads when they first buy an item or are considering buying an item.  Also, some people just like to see if they can help solve an issue.  Like I mentioned above, I never noticed that it was running warm until I read an article about it.  The fact that I clicked on the article does not mean I was already having the issue.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #142 of 276

Quote:
Did they confirm your battery issue?  It is well known that it takes longer to charge because of the new larger battery.  People were discussing this issue on Friday.  I dock mine at night and run the clock app (as I mentioned) and it is always charged in the morning.  I did the same thing for years with the original, so it isn't an issue at all for me.  Also, like I mentioned, I streamed video on it while it was plugged in and the iPad stayed at 100 percent battery power.  I still think you have a bad charger, a bad outlet, or a bad iPad.  

The heat issue could be a problem for people using their iPad without a case.  I have not noticed the heat at all when I had it in a cheap pleather case, but after I read an article on the subject, I pulled it out of the case and it was warm.  Not nearly as warm as most laptops, but it is a lot warmer than the always cool original iPad I own. 

As the article mentioned, the original iPad would shut down when it was hot outside.  Obviously, the new iPad is already running warm, so I don't think the shut off default is set as low.  I am curious to see how it holds up to outside heat when compared to the original.   

*  Also found it interesting that the one article used the number of hits on a forum in the article.  These hits do not mean that people are having the issue and the number of responses don't either.  Many people read these type of threads when they first buy an item or are considering buying an item.  Also, some people just like to see if they can help solve an issue.  Like I mentioned above, I never noticed that it was running warm until I read an article about it.  The fact that I clicked on the article does not mean I was already having the issue.

Well, considering I had two new iPads in the same day that had the same problem, and Apple said they were aware of it, it seems like it is a genuine problem that isn't affecting just a small number of users.  I set up an additional call for 5:00 a.m. this morning and I spoke to a tech rep and asked him to send me a new charger but he refused to do so unless I gave a deposit for it, or paid for AppleCare.  He said the Apple engineers aren't certain yet though if it's a charger issue, a battery management software issue, a battery issue, or something else.  He also (surprisingly) said that Apple released the new iPad to market too soon because they were receiving numerous calls about the charging, heat, and screen yellowing issues (of which the screen yellowing is the only one Apple is so far saying, "yeah, we screwed up and we'll certainly replace it for you.")

I'll just wait until Saturday when I go back to the Apple Store and, with this guy named Ben that I've been dealing with, open as many new iPads as we have to until we find one that charges properly.  I was able to finally get mine to slowly charge when I once again depleted the entire battery, then powered it back up again at 11%, and turned the brightness down to about 30%.  Then it slowly started to charge at a rate of 1% every 25 minutes which is ridiculous since A) 30% brightness is too dull for most people, and B) well, 25 minutes for 1% is a ludicrous charging rate.  The new iPad does not get as bright as the iPhone 4S, and a comfortable viewing brightness for me on the new iPad is between 85% - 100% depending on room lighting.  iLounge stated that the new iPad takes a very long 6.5 hours to fully charge, but mine takes about 12 hours to fully charge from a dead battery.

Jude said earlier he isn't having those issues and he has the 64GB version.  Which version do you have?  Perhaps it is limited to certain lots that were manufactured in a certain facility or assembly line.  If there is a problem with the 32s and 16s but not the 64s then I will have no choice but to upgrade, and Apple should cover the cost (and said they might) if they determine when I come in that the 32s in their store all have this issue.

Anyway, there's really nothing else to add at this point until those of us that have bad units can get replacements, or until Apple releases a fix for it.  The other Mac forums are covering the issue as well and hopefully it will get Apple to address the problem quicker.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #143 of 276
Given the MUCH larger battery and seeing the A5X has a heat-sink, it would be a technological marvel if it didn't run warmer. I haven't taxed mine enough to get warm myself, but given my Mac Mini's average operating temps are double the iPads and it's never played up I'm not fussed. The rear aluminium is doing it's job as a heat-sink. I'd be worried if it didn't get warm - the heat has to go somewhere.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #145 of 276

Quote:

Maximum PC has no idea what the problem is with the iPad's bigger thermal footprint. Nothing seems to be happening to theirs? Maybe they added something? Nah.. Can't be.

I think it needs some liquid cooling as well.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #147 of 276

Quote:

Maximum PC has no idea what the problem is with the iPad's bigger thermal footprint. Nothing seems to be happening to theirs? Maybe they added something? Nah.. Can't be.

Hahah, maybe I should take the chassis heatsinks off my amp and mount them to the iPad.  Maybe the power supplies, too!  MOAR POWER!

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #148 of 276

Quote:
that was actually my comment on the picture. Getting an Corsair H series on there.

Maybe oil? let's dunk it and see!

Mmmm, french fries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back