iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #106 of 276
My new charger is still in the box, I'm using a PC USB port and it's been fine. It is a high current USB 3 port, 2.7A, on a Gigabyte motherboard.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #107 of 276
The iPad 2 didn't have any charging issues, nor did it get warm, and believe it or not the extra 8% weight of the iPad 3 is noticeable. It doesn't bother me much, as where with headphones I can't stand the heavier ones.

Yeah Jude, the LTE speed is pretty amazing... Why do we even have broadband Internet at home when LTE speeds exist? In order for it to really take over the market prices and unlimited data will have to become the norm. You must be loving your iPad 3 though. I was looking forward to it since I won my iPad 2 in November. This new display is a real technological breakthrough, but a much needed one. 4K video is slated for consumer playback around 2017, so we will need those ultra high-res displays. I have no doubt that in five years we will have large displays capable of double this iPad's resolution. I'm just wondering why Apple hasn't pursued OLED technology, since it has infinite contrast ratios as a self-lit pixel and uses much less power. Maybe the color accuracy just isn't there yet.

With Roadrunner I get 16-21Mbps down and 1.8-2.1 up. With 3/5 bars I was getting close to those download speeds and 8x my upload speeds.

If you live in the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles like I do, don't bother with AT&T. Verizon is screaming fast, and Sprint gets even better reception and call quality but slower speeds, which is fine for my iPhone.

Anyone here play around with GarageBand? What an amazing program, and for $5? The new iPhoto is great, too.

Amos, I'm sure you'll get one of these. :) I have no doubt you'll enjoy it. I sold my iPad 2 at the opportune time a few weeks ago so I got maximum dollar for it, but the extra expenditure always hurts with new iDevices.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #108 of 276
My new charger is still in the box, I'm using a PC USB port and it's been fine. It is a high current USB 3 port, 2.7A, on a Gigabyte motherboard.

2.7A huh? The 10W charger is 2.1A. Just make sure it won't do any damage to the battery in here. It already gets pretty warm and you wouldn't want it to explode or catch fire, or void your warranty. Maybe there's a reason they don't want it charging more rapidly or with more current. We should probably wait until they announce a fix for the issue.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #110 of 276
Lets wait fot more conclusive results. Forums tend to make issues look bigger as all people that have them converge. If this really is an issue ill see it on all major news sites... Like always

I don't need to wait for more "official" sites to tell me what I'm very well aware is wrong with the charging process. I can read numbers, can't I? I have seen the same results on two different iPad 3 models with my own eyes using two different iPad chargers; so have Apple Store reps, and so have other consumers. The problem is obvious. How Apple will deal with it isn't.

Another interesting thing I don't know if I mentioned on here is that the new iPad comes with a cable that is 2/3 as thick as the iPhone cable. That makes a lot of sense, right.?.?.? I tried both and the results were the same, so it wasn't an issue, but why Apple would use a higher gauge wire or less insulation on a cable for a product that requires significantly more current than the iPhone makes no sense whatsoever. If the thinner cable is adequate then it should be used on the iPhone, too.

The IPS panel.... Excellent for off angle viewing....except with this new retina display. Off angle the color tint changes substantially. This didn't happen with the iPad 2's lower resolution display. Maybe it's a byproduct of using two light bars instead of one.

I thought Apple might actually improve its methods, product development, and QC more since Steve Jobs' passing (because without him around maybe they could push the envelope further and faster than he might have wanted) but perhaps he really was integral to the overall consumer experience, and held off on rushed product development for good reason.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #111 of 276
Maybe you just need an iPad bumper! :p :wink:

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #112 of 276
IPodPJ, I let mine fully charge. I have since been using my new iPad for a better part of the morning plugged in, full brightness, both the LTE and wi-fi on (but connected by wi-fi), location services on, using it as I normally do, and it's still at 100%. (I put it on full brightness just to try to force it into the depletion-while-plugged-in mode you described--I normally set the brightness bar in the middle, unless I'm watching a movie.)

I am using an Apple iPad wall charger (not the one that came with the new iPad, which is the same, from what I can tell, but one of a few extras I purchased in the last couple years).

In case it matters, I have a 64GB Verizon model.

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #114 of 276

Quote:
Jude are you able to use the standard charger and cables Apple provided with the new iPad and try this test again to see if you have problems?

I'll try that later. It won't be until tomorrow morning that I know for sure, though, as this won't be getting plugged in until late tonight.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #116 of 276

Quote:

I'll try that later. It won't be until tomorrow morning that I know for sure, though, as this won't be getting plugged in until late tonight.

I tried all three versions of the charger and cannot replicate IpodPJ's issue.  I have the Verizon LTE version.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #117 of 276
For curiosity sake, I plugged in the charger it came with and turned all the options on, with max brightness, and it isn't running down the battery. OP, I'm not sure what's going on, maybe you should have them swap it for you?

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #118 of 276

Quote:
Unfortunately with this new iPad, it can only be charged when the unit is fully powered off. 

I leave mine on at night with a clock app and it charged to full strength by the time I got out of bed.  I will do some more tests, but I have not had this issue.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #120 of 276

Quote:
I don't need to wait for more "official" sites to tell me what I'm very well aware is wrong with the charging process. I can read numbers, can't I? I have seen the same results on two different iPad 3 models with my own eyes using two different iPad chargers; so have Apple Store reps, and so have other consumers. The problem is obvious. How Apple will deal with it isn't.
Another interesting thing I don't know if I mentioned on here is that the new iPad comes with a cable that is 2/3 as thick as the iPhone cable. That makes a lot of sense, right.?.?.? I tried both and the results were the same, so it wasn't an issue, but why Apple would use a higher gauge wire or less insulation on a cable for a product that requires significantly more current than the iPhone makes no sense whatsoever. If the thinner cable is adequate then it should be used on the iPhone, too.
The IPS panel.... Excellent for off angle viewing....except with this new retina display. Off angle the color tint changes substantially. This didn't happen with the iPad 2's lower resolution display. Maybe it's a byproduct of using two light bars instead of one.
I thought Apple might actually improve its methods, product development, and QC more since Steve Jobs' passing (because without him around maybe they could push the envelope further and faster than he might have wanted) but perhaps he really was integral to the overall consumer experience, and held off on rushed product development for good reason.

Perhaps your posts on these matters are a bit alarmist? I'm not saying you're not having a problem, or that others aren't having similar problems, only that those having problems may be far more likely to talk about it than those who aren't experiencing the problems. We are talking million of units here. Here in this thread we have one (you) who is having the charging problem, and at least a few who aren't. Again, maybe this will be something for which there should be much ado about, but I think you may be extrapolating both too quickly, and with not enough data.

You're already sounding the alarm on the sync cable (which you say is thinner), when that hasn't yet shown to be an issue (that I'm aware of).

As for the display, if you look at the link Somnambulist posted, it seems that the new display is, overall, a pretty substantial improvement (according to their data anyway). How much off-angle viewing are you doing? Again, if the info in that link is accurate, it doesn't seem (from what I can understand from it) that the performance in off-angle viewing is substantially different (but someone can correct me if I'm interpreting the info in that link incorrectly).

You mention Steve Jobs' passing as a possible reason that this unit falls short of your expectations, yet, so far, the take I've had from my friends who also bought the new one (as well as most of the reviews I've read) is that they're as impressed as I am by this latest iPad--and so far I'm quite impressed.

Maybe mass problems will reveal themselves over time, including charging issues, etc. I'm just saying I don't see the smoke yet, even though you seem to be seeing enough to already start inhaling deeply for what seems like a coming FIRE! scream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back