iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #93 of 276

Quote:
Verizon's LTE is fast around here. This iPad should make for a very good personal hotspot device. I just canceled my MiFi accounts.

That's faster than my home internet
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #94 of 276

Quote:

That's faster than my home internet
frown.gif

in terms of sustained download and upload, but when surfing the web, yours will be and seem faster as your ping is a lot less and less prone to bandwith problems, moving around, others connecting and all that. but if you want to download a movie.....use LTE..if you have unlimited lol :)

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #95 of 276
I also decided on the Verizon iPad since I have AT&T for my phone.  Since Verizon has more coverage, it could come in handy on trips.  Also, LTE has a lot more coverage on Verizon and the hotspot feature will be useful.  I am a little worried about how much data I will eat up in a week out of town, but I will just monitor it closely to be sure.  

I did a comparison of the Original iPad and the new iPad elsewhere, but I did test the USB output with the camera connector that I thought Head Fi-ers would find interesting.  I have a first edition uDac that I bought for the Original iPad and it worked like a charm with the USB out provided by the Camera Kit until Apple decreased the power output with updated firmware.  I was curious to see if the larger battery on the new iPad would help, but I tried it with the uDAC and I am still getting a message that says the USB device requires too much power.  Kind of a bummer, but I bought a T3hub that fixed the problem on the Original iPad.  I tried it with the new iPad and it fixes the problem on it, as well.  However, I wish I could find a way to do this without the added clunky adapter.  Does anyone know of something that is smaller that performs the same trick as the T3hub?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #96 of 276

Quote:
I also decided on the Verizon iPad since I have AT&T for my phone.  Since Verizon has more coverage, it could come in handy on trips.  Also, LTE has a lot more coverage on Verizon and the hotspot feature will be useful.  I am a little worried about how much data I will eat up in a week out of town, but I will just monitor it closely to be sure.  

I did a comparison of the Original iPad and the new iPad elsewhere, but I did test the USB output with the camera connector that I thought Head Fi-ers would find interesting.  I have a first edition uDac that I bought for the Original iPad and it worked like a charm with the USB out provided by the Camera Kit until Apple decreased the power output with updated firmware.  I was curious to see if the larger battery on the new iPad would help, but I tried it with the uDAC and I am still getting a message that says the USB device requires too much power.  Kind of a bummer, but I bought a T3hub that fixed the problem on the Original iPad.  I tried it with the new iPad and it fixes the problem on it, as well.  However, I wish I could find a way to do this without the added clunky adapter.  Does anyone know of something that is smaller that performs the same trick as the T3hub?

how did the t3 rectify the problem? i would think that you would need a powered usb hub providing the rest of the power needed. but the T3 is self powered?

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #97 of 276
Went to the Apple store to return some headphones and the place was packed and surprisingly wasn't all iPad people. Looked at the new iPad and its really slick. The new screen is amazing and the device seems as fluid as ever. Pretty nice. Making my choice even harder.

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #99 of 276

Quote:
Went to the Apple store to return some headphones and the place was packed and surprisingly wasn't all iPad people. Looked at the new iPad and its really slick. The new screen is amazing and the device seems as fluid as ever. Pretty nice. Making my choice even harder.

you bought headphones from Apple? now that's overpriced :)

anyway...the moment you walk in it's a trap. they spent millions getting the experience right. :) 
gs1000.gif

It's still a bit hard to fathom tha that screen has a resolution and density higher than my 1080p 23 incher.

people love and like fluidity. consuerms don't use or conciously say or even ..think abotu fluidity but it's there. Apple knows it and unlike Android; captive touch screen multi touch finger commands and fluidity take a real time system priority on the device

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #100 of 276
Returned the Fidelio L1 headphones only available fro Apple so yeah, bought them from there. I had to wait about 30 minutes for help or anyone to say anything to me so not sure about that whole getting the experience right.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #101 of 276

Quote:
Returned the Fidelio L1 headphones only available fro Apple so yeah, bought them from there. I had to wait about 30 minutes for help or anyone to say anything to me so not sure about that whole getting the experience right.

i was talking about the products. sadly due to Apple's super mass popularity they can't fit soo soo many into one store..

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #102 of 276
FYI that report is almost a year old. Not saying it isn't still true, but a lot of things can happen in a year with the pace of tech being what it is.

Well I received my white iPad 32GB AT&T at about 2:30 on Friday. 1 bar at most signal strength. Pathetic. I was fortunately able to take it back to my local Apple Store the same day and exchange it for a black Verizon model. Verizon LTE is screaming fast even with only 3-4 bars which is what I get here.

I suggest you guys check out the Apple forums under the section about battery charging issues. You can read my posts under username Bellatone.

Basically, there is a problem with the charger they supplied to all of us with the new iPad. It is inadequate to charge the iPad while in use. This is the first electronic device I've ever used that actually decreases in battery life when plugged in and being used. It's horrible! In fact, the battery actually drains more when the charger is plugged in. I have always kept my devices plugged in at home so that I would always have 100% when I'm ready to leave. Unfortunately with this new iPad, it can only be charged when the unit is fully powered off. This is a major, major functionality problem that needs to be addressed pronto. They will need to ship everyone more powerful chargers. This occurs with cellular turned off, location services turned off, and only one app running.

Steve Jobs would have never signed off on this, and I'm pretty sure he would have never signed off on a heavier iPad either.

What this means is that after I get five or so hours out of my iPad because I certainly get nowhere near ten, I have to turn it off and charge it for twelve hours before I can start with a full charge again. Never in the history of any electronic device have I had to deal with this and I certainly hope Apple fixes this and soon! This is not limited to only a few devices... It happened with the white model I had and now this one, and the people at the Apple Store also confirmed they have experienced this problem on every iPad model. The Apple forums are also starting to populate with users complaining about this issue.

Another issue is that the iPad gets quite warm in WiFi mode, and even hot when Cellular is turned on.

The Retina display is amazing, although it does not get as bright as the iPhone 4S which the Apple Store reps also noticed. Overall color seems to be more accurate on the iPad display, though it is too saturated in the magentas and purples.

Hopefully Apple will send out replacement chargers, or if possible do some kind of iOS update to fix the issue. The 10W charger should be enough to replenish the battery power based on the math, so it is likely just some software issue that needs fixing.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #103 of 276
Does this occur on docks also or just this particular charger? I did notice the iPads at the Apple store today that were plugged in were not at 100% charge.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #104 of 276
Does this occur on docks also or just this particular charger? I did notice the iPads at the Apple store today that were plugged in were not at 100% charge.

It doesn't matter what it's plugged into. The actual 10W charger puts out more power than a dock plugged into a computer. I have a Monoprice dock that I plug into this 10W charger if I feel like it but I normally just use the cable. Either way, unless they come out with a more powerful charger or somehow can fix it in software, you won't be able to charge your iPad 3 while using it, and that really sucks. If you keep your iPad in standby, sometimes it charges, sometimes it doesn't. If its fully powered down, it will charge and still takes a long time to do so. But like any other device we own, we should be able to keep our batteries at 100% while using it if it's plugged in.

It truly boggles my mind that they actually didn't catch this in testing. How could they not have? I'm sure they did know about it, so why did they ship it without fixing the problem first? This isn't a minor inconvenience. Within the next few days you will see thousands of mentions of it on the web, and Apple is likely working on a fix as we speak. If they can't patch it in software and need to replace 65 million chargers @ approx. $2 each plus shipping, that won't be cheap but surely a lot cheaper than doing a recall.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #105 of 276
Regarding this charging topic: IPodPJ, I haven't paid close attention to that, but I will over the next couple of days. I haven't had to power mine down fully to get it to charge fully--I've just closed the Smart Cover, and it reaches a full charge fine (out of my MacBook Air or the wall charger). Again, though, over the next couple of days, I'll use it while plugged in when I can, and see if it ever gets to 100% that way.

Regarding the battery life: I came from a first-generation iPad to this one, and the battery life seems at least as comparable. I haven't measured or paid close attention, but with similar use, my battery meter seems to deplete similarly.

Regarding LTE: I was on it all day today, and, wow. If the only update to the next-generation iPhone is LTE, I'll upgrade to it instantly. (And I'll gladly dump AT&T for Verizon in doing so.) Seriously, the kinds of speed I was seeing all day today was rather game-changing, as it really gives at-home/at-work type responsiveness for the things I do online. Again, wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back