iPad 3 anticipation
Mar 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #152 of 276
So Jude, am I still an alarmist now that Consumer Reports confirmed what I've been saying all along? (specifically, the last two lines)

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/03/our-test-finds-new-ipad-hits-116-degrees-while-running-games.html

I may not know everything but I do know how to read the numbers on my battery indicator. :p

Just using iMessage only, in the past 1 hour my battery has dropped from 100% to 78%. Anyone would have a problem with that.

At least they were able to charge it when not running a game. I'd settle for that.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #153 of 276
I've been keeping an eye on mine (black 32gb wifi only) and sure, its a bit warmer when I'm gaming - duh, i'm gaming!  Internet/video/music - its actually better than my ipad2 was....even with bluetooth on and active (bt speakers).  I played modern combat 3 for several hours the other day and had no discomfort in the heat output.  Charging also seems normal as well as discharging.  I'm wondering if there isn't a bad manufactured lot out there that might have some issues....somewhere I found an article on how to decode the serial number to determine date and production line for the iPhone/ipad....wonder if we could pin things down off that info?  Considering they've been prepping these for a while now, maybe its a manufacturing thing?

Edit:  Found it....http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Mine came back as:
Name: iPad 3
Model Number: MC076
Group1: iPad
Group2: 
Generation: 3
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 2 (January)
introduced test: GOED
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #155 of 276
I've been keeping an eye on mine (black 32gb wifi only) and sure, its a bit warmer when I'm gaming - duh, i'm gaming!  Internet/video/music - its actually better than my ipad2 was....even with bluetooth on and active (bt speakers).  I played modern combat 3 for several hours the other day and had no discomfort in the heat output.  Charging also seems normal as well as discharging.  I'm wondering if there isn't a bad manufactured lot out there that might have some issues....somewhere I found an article on how to decode the serial number to determine date and production line for the iPhone/ipad....wonder if we could pin things down off that info?  Considering they've been prepping these for a while now, maybe its a manufacturing thing?

Edit:  Found it....http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Mine came back as:
Name: iPad 3
Model Number: MC076
Group1: iPad
Group2: 
Generation: 3
Production week: 2 (January)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

Very interesting!!

Mine is:

Name: iPad 3
Group1: iPad
Group2:
Generation: 3
Production week: 9 (March)
Screen size: 9 inch
Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #156 of 276

Serial number: DN6H69BW****
Group2: WiFi
Production week: 6 (February)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Colour: White
Capacity: 32GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #157 of 276
This is my model and I do not have any issues that I know of....

Serial number:
Group2: WiFi-4G
Production week: 8 (February)
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #158 of 276
So far it seems that the issue is with the newest production ipad with ipodpj's. Let's see if we can develop a pattern here, anyone else is welcome to chime in! Interesting also would be to note how you purchased it. Mine was announcement day per order which would explain the early manufacture date...

It did amaze me that with a January build date how well this thing was kept "secret" until march....someone in manufacturing could have leaked it months before announcement....

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #160 of 276
That's pretty tight on power, but at least it gained a little bit.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #162 of 276
I think the culprit is probably the Retina display. I'm sure something like that requires tons of power, and when I look at what's using battery on my Xoom, the screen is number 1 at using 40% followed by the OS and idle. @jc9394, try streaming some music from Pandora or something with the screen off, and see if it charges any faster.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #163 of 276
iPodPJ, You information is identical to mine.  However, there was this note below it:

"We are sorry but we don't have any information on this model yet."

So I am not sure how accurate the results are. Mine is a Verizon model and it does not mention it in "Group 2" like JC9394's information. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #164 of 276
http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/personal-tech/tablets/232602960

http://www.alltouchtablet.com/touchscreen-tablet-news/new-ipad-wont-charge-under-heavy-load-15533/

Like I said in the original post or somewhere thereabouts, it would only be a matter of days before it spread across the internet like wildfire
and reports would come in from many users and news outlets.

Like the first article states, the new iPad draws twice as much power as the iPad 2 yet they only put a 70% larger battery in it.
Like the second article states, they supplied the same charger as the iPad 2 which is not adequate.
Like the first article states, the iPhone 4S uses a more power conservative LED which would have been more expensive and not practical
on a larger size iPad, however I think if people had known about these issues they would have been willing to pay a little more for that.
Like the first article states, the new more energy efficient Indium Gallide display technology from Sharp is not quite ready yet for mass
production but it probably would have been in another 6 months.
Apple jumped the gun on the new iPad unfortunately and it's causing people's enthusiasm to drop rapidly, and many people are returning
them for refunds which is a shame since the display looks so good and it's 4G LTE ability allows for screaming fast internet.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #165 of 276
A vocal minority. They'll sell well because they're a) great b) only the most anal of customers are going to put it under a heavy load while charging just to have something to complain about. This is far less of a story than Antennagate and the iPhone 4, like the previous ones, was a huge success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back