Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #286 of 403
Basically that no matter which set of pads you chose, there is something terrible wrong with the sound

The 'soundstage' pads have a huge dip around 5-6Khz and a painful spike around 7.5kHz.
Actually from 10hz - 4khz, these look really quite good.. almost excellent.
Dips like this around 5kHz aren't particularly rare, and often go unnoticed, but spikes like that around 7kHz are almost always unbearable.

Then the 'bass pads' look like a joke.
That 15-20dB spread between bass and mids is just bonkers. There is no way that sounds 'good'... looks more like Razer Kraken garbage.
Also the 7-8kHz peak remains... this is the frequency area that just sounds harsh and grating, like blowing into a microphone.

I tried m1060's, I know what "grating" is. I've never had that experience with these. I find the separation and stereo imaging to be absolutely exceptional, truly a class above its price. For gaming at least it suits me plenty, but I'm pretty angry the vokyl team could not see this considering they were using a $30000 audio precision analyser to test it. I guess I could test out a hyperx orbit (a clone of the mobius, but without wireless and much cheaper) to compare. Thanks again for your detailed breakdown, it's very generous of you.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #287 of 403
I'm still super pissed about the cables. We were told we'd be getting lay flat cables and these cables are pathetically bad. Not to mention they have inline controls which were never advertised. Volume wheels are dumb and the mute switch was supposed to be on the mic itself.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #288 of 403
I'm still super pissed about the cables. We were told we'd be getting lay flat cables and these cables are pathetically bad. Not to mention they have inline controls which were never advertised. Volume wheels are dumb and the mute switch was supposed to be on the mic itself.
I think they made very bad decisions regarding the cables. On the other hand it seems like they focused on making them user friendly, which might be good assuming they wanted to focus on gamers that want a simple plug and play solution.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #289 of 403
I think they made very bad decisions regarding the cables. On the other hand it seems like they focused on making them user friendly, which might be good assuming they wanted to focus on gamers that want a simple plug and play solution.
The cable is annoying on so many levels though. It gets tangle super easily, the inline controls feel cheap and shouldn't be there to begin with, the piece of plastic used where the cable split is massive and the absolute worst part is it's difficult to get a replacement since they wired the headphones weirdly. On top of that the main reason I wanted these headphones was to have an all in one unit with a mic. So even if I manage to find an aftermarket cable that works I won't have a mic since they changed the removable mic design which was one of the biggest draws of the headphones for me. I might as well just get a pair of 6XX and get a modmic at this point.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #290 of 403
The cable is annoying on so many levels though. It gets tangle super easily, the inline controls feel cheap and shouldn't be there to begin with, the piece of plastic used where the cable split is massive and the absolute worst part is it's difficult to get a replacement since they wired the headphones weirdly. On top of that the main reason I wanted these headphones was to have an all in one unit with a mic. So even if I manage to find an aftermarket cable that works I won't have a mic since they changed the removable mic design which was one of the biggest draws of the headphones for me. I might as well just get a pair of 6XX and get a modmic at this point.

The imaging on the 6xx is somewhat poor due to it suffering from the sennheiser 3 blob effect and the sound stage is non existent. It wouldn't make a good gaming can at all. Despite that frequency curve, the imaging on the vokyl is pretty holographic (meaning sounds can be projected in a 3d space, instead of it just sounding like its coming from the headphone like you'll get the the sennheiser), so it makes for a enjoyable experience while gaming. I've not found many headphones to possess this capability.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #291 of 403
The imaging on the 6xx is somewhat poor due to it suffering from the sennheiser 3 blob effect and the sound stage is non existent. It wouldn't make a good gaming can at all. Despite that frequency curve, the imaging on the vokyl is pretty holographic (meaning sounds can be projected in a 3d space, instead of it just sounding like its coming from the headphone like you'll get the the sennheiser), so it makes for a enjoyable experience while gaming. I've not found many headphones to possess this capability.
The Erupts are little to no better than my AD500X when it comes to sound stage and imaging.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #292 of 403
We just posted measurements in an update that we’ll be happy to share here. DIY and consumer rigs are not impedance matched, and along with a host of other variables like the type of tone used, DB level, source, averaging, positioning, etc, etc, it’s hard to know why the results end up how they do.

Our headphones have been consistent through all batches and drivers are electronically matched before and after production to specific curves. We don’t recommend basing impressions for any headphone off a graph made by a DIY or consumer unit unless the user is very familiar with the setup and how it relates to their own subjective tastes. These rigs certainly are great tools to help headphone owners figure out how their own subjective tastes can correlate to a response graph, but unfortunately because of the surrounding variables, make it very hard for a broad audience to make an overall judgement based on the broad range of results. In addition to that, we typically use uncompensated measurements because they do not show bias.

We use an APx515 Audio Analyzer paired with the AECM206 Headphone Test Fixture, which are both industry standard. We measure using 94dB sweeps and average our results over 3 sweeps, re-positioning for the best seal while checking a spectrometer, while also pad matching each unit for consistency between channels.

Erupt Raw (1).png

Erupt DF (1).png

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #293 of 403
We just posted measurements in an update that we’ll be happy to share here. DIY and consumer rigs are not impedance matched, and along with a host of other variables like the type of tone used, DB level, source, averaging, positioning, etc, etc, it’s hard to know why the results end up how they do.

Our headphones have been consistent through all batches and drivers are electronically matched before and after production to specific curves. We don’t recommend basing impressions for any headphone off a graph made by a DIY or consumer unit unless the user is very familiar with the setup and how it relates to their own subjective tastes. These rigs certainly are great tools to help headphone owners figure out how their own subjective tastes can correlate to a response graph, but unfortunately because of the surrounding variables, make it very hard for a broad audience to make an overall judgement based on the broad range of results. In addition to that, we typically use uncompensated measurements because they do not show bias.

We use an APx515 Audio Analyzer paired with the AECM206 Headphone Test Fixture, which are both industry standard. We measure using 94dB sweeps and average our results over 3 sweeps, re-positioning for the best seal while checking a spectrometer, while also pad matching each unit for consistency between channels.

Hello sir. I see you made some updates and supplied measurements based upon my recent review of the Erupt. I am 100% okay with people disagreeing with my review, but when a company tries to be deceiving I must speak out.

For starters to defend a few of my basis, I make it very clear in my description that the graph from the MiniDSP EARS is not 100% infallible. It is used to get a rough idea of the FR of the headphone and I don't give my impressions based upon the graph. I give my impressions based upon what I hear. My graphs are not trying to show channel matching, and I mention that you have to ignore anomalies like the 4.5K peak and the 8K peak usually being at around 10K.

Now I have to say I must call you out for your measurements as well. For starters the scale you are using is very deceptive. Using a graph with a 10dB scale on the Y axis is a tactic used by people to try and make something look flatter than it really is. Also you are using a 100dB delta for your Y axis which further smooth things down. I use a scale very similar to the graphs done by Tyll at Innerfidelity. He used a 70dB delta for his Y axis and a 5dB scale. I am using 60dB delta with a 5dB scale. Posting your graphs on a wildly different scale that smooths them out and trying to say that it is much different than what I am showing is deceptive. Post your graphs on the same scale I do. 60dB delta on the Y axis on a 5db scale and then compare to mine. If you want to do 70dB to match Tyll that is also fine and I will happily repost my measurements on a 70dB scale.

Furthermore, saying that using RAW measurements to show FR because it is free of bias is laughable. RAW measurements are worthless for representing something to how it will sound to a person. I appreciate that you also included measurements compensated to DF, but I have to ask what DF comp are you using for that? I have never seen a RAW and DF compensated measurement look so similar, it should be a much larger difference than that. Also you are using very heavy smoothing and did not say if this is an average or one side.

Anyway, just thought I would respond since this response was clearly targeted at me and my review. Nothing personal, I just give 100% honest reviews in hope that it can help manufacturers improve. Pretending like everything is okay and never giving criticism is only harmful for the market in my opinion because it makes manufacturers think that what they are doing is okay, when it is simply not. Anyway keep up the work on your product, I will keep an eye out for V2 and hopefully other people will have a more favorable opinion of it than I do.

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #294 of 403

Also I would suggest you post your Erupt graph next to something familiar like an HD650 for people to see how it measures compared to something very familiar.

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #295 of 403
Just to point out what I am saying about scale. I reformatted my graph using the same scale as Vokyl.
Erupt_Vokyl.jpg

Erupt_DF_1.png

As you can see it looks quite different from what it does on the correct scale that mimics Tyll's scale. Also keep in mind the 4.5K peak is the result of the EARS' canal resonance so that doesn't exist and the 8K peak on my graph is shifted because of EARS and is really at roughly 10K. If you make both these changes our graphs are very similar.

Erupt_SS.jpg

This is what I mean with people using graph scales to hide stuff. You must always pay attention to scale.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #296 of 403
Wow, watched the video, read your comments, you seem like a bitter Betty...reminds me of the dude that disappeared from the audio world...shoe? Or something like that, just blasted things to blast them, I guess if you have to have a “shtick” that was a void to fill...

I’ve enjoyed my Vokyl Erupts, really enjoy them when paired with my Xbox1X, also I have to ask what level db are you listening for review? Also did you accidentally hit the volume wheel on the cable while listening?

I’m getting excellent detail...sure not the same level as my Verite Opens or Closed, but for gaming and general listening these are enjoyable. Gaming wise, I sold my PC37X after I got these. I played the COD:MW beta on Xbox and felt like I was cheating to some degree when I could pinpoint footsteps walking around corners, or a house over in the game.

I’ve worn them for hours with no comfort issues, while gaming or listening to music. I’m shocked these would hurt anyone’s head, color me surprised! But that is just me =)

sure cables are not my favorite, some polish could be done overall...but for two dudes making these, color me impressed on a first outing!

I think maybe as I tell my daughter when she doesn’t get her way....”deep breaths, deep breaths...” take a breather mate!

If you were really trying to be critical and constructive in your review then maybe avoid aggressive words like “wasteful,sadly, insane, ouch, abomination, ewww....throw those away, fakes, etc” I mean do you, but honestly I walked away from that review with the feeling I get from people that just really aren’t pleasant to be around. You came off more just angry rants, over being constructive.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #297 of 403
Personally I couldn't care less about how the reviewer comes across as long as the review is honest and insightful and on-topic.
Maybe one day there will be a forum where people review reviewers, but today is not that day.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #298 of 403
The Erupts are little to no better than my AD500X when it comes to sound stage and imaging.

I dont know what to tell you. Adx series as pretty solid soundstage anyway, but imaging? The erupt beats the ad2000x in my mind. It is much more capable of presenting hight and images off centre axis than that. I think you need to listen more to special ques as it is very proficient, much more so than the ad500x from my brief time hearing it.

Oct 23, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #299 of 403
Personally I couldn't care less about how the reviewer comes across as long as the review is honest and insightful and on-topic.
Maybe one day there will be a forum where people review reviewers, but today is not that day.

This.

If you post an overly negative review, you're by definition a "hater" and if you post an over-the-top positive review, you're "hyping" it too much. There isn't something automatically wrong with a negative review just because your personal opinion doesn't agree with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back