Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Oct 23, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #316 of 403
Guys, let's let this thread get back to its intended subject, which is the Vokyl Erupt. If this measurement discussion is one you want to continue, create a new thread about it (or find a relevant existing thread about it), and continue there. If that happens, just PM me the link and I'll try to participate when I can.

Right now, we're behind on the CanJam Shanghai Preview Video -- way behind -- and this one needs to be translated and subtitled.

So, again, please get back to the Vokyl Erupt discussion.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #317 of 403
Guys, let's let this thread get back to its intended subject, which is the Vokyl Erupt. If this measurement discussion is one you want to continue, create a new thread about it (or find a relevant existing thread about it), and continue there. If that happens, just PM me the link and I'll try to participate when I can.

Right now, we're behind on the CanJam Shanghai Preview Video -- way behind -- and this one needs to be translated and subtitled.

So, again, please get back to the Vokyl Erupt discussion.
I was just about to suggest moving the rest of the discussion to an audio science thread. Agreed. Looking forward to that preview video, I watch every one of those that you make.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #318 of 403
What just happened to this thread? Havent been here for quite awhile.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #319 of 403
Most people who ordered these are still waiting for them. Mine just arrived late this afternoon (order # in 280s); I plan to open them tomorrow and listen throughout the day at work.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #320 of 403
I bought a pair on reddit a few weeks back but I still have a pair in the 800s. I'm considering having them wire my other pair normally so I can use a good cable and I have no interest in their crappy quality mic. Then I'll sell my current pair.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #321 of 403
Listened to the Erupts for several hours today. Thoughts in random order feeding these off my Marantz HD-DAC1 and comparing with my go-to Takstar HF-580 planars:

1. Lighter than I expected; extremely comfortable. More comfortable than the HF-580.

2. Cable is janky AF. Do not want. Flimsy too.

3. Soundstage is wider than the HF-580.

4. Bass is a bit more impactful than the HF-580, but not by much.

5. Treble seems rolled off compared to the HF-580. Not as much sparkle.

6. Midrange seems veiled and subdued compared to the HF-580. Not a fan of the mids.

I need to give them more extended listening time. It's a mixed bag thus far. When you factor in cost (the Vokyl are roughly double the cost of the Takstar planars), they start to come up short.

Again, initial impressions only, subject to change.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #322 of 403
Got a new lens in so decided to take some pictures =) Also the daughter decided she "needed" them to listen to her "shows" lol... A7301430_DxO.jpg A7301479_DxO.jpg

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #323 of 403
I got the Erupt yesterday. It was clearly rushed out the door as it has scratches/marks in several places and shoddy work on the elastic bands. The bands over the head strap aren’t properly seated either. I wish Vokyl didn't give into impatient and whining backers and took more time building the headsets and getting the finish right.
The cups and yokes feel like they got heft and sturdiness to them, though. They feel extremely solid.
The cables and the neck of the mic feel and look very cheap. The cables are very… springy and just want to tangle themselves. For reference, they’re several steps down from the DT990 and HD650 cables.
I’ve given the Erupt only a few hours of listening time, so I won’t comment on the sound.

Here's a follow-up:
Vokyl sent me a replacement and covered the costs of shipping it to me and shipping back the first unit. I'm happy to report that the new unit looks much better. It has no scratches/scrapes or marks. The bands are completely inserted into or aligned with the holes in the yokes. The leftover flash has been clipped off and the inserts look almost flawless. The five screws on each side of the yokes still had some excess residue, but that can be cleaned off with a damp microfiber cloth. I'm happy with the finish.

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #324 of 403
I received my pair of Vokyl Erupt yesterday and I shall give my thought.

Good: The quality of the machined and anodized parts are excellent in quality and impeccably assembled. The whole cup assembly, include the baffle and mic assembly are solid machined aluminum, with comparable quality of over $500 headphones (e.g. Audeze Sine DX I also own) . The case is of good quality as well.

20200305_170715small.JPG

Not so Good: Both the pleather head pad and earpads are kind of deformed in shape. Could be the result of being crushed inside the case. The cables are kindly of springy and with quality of those comes from $70 headphones. The mic boom is also quite flimsy.

Very Bad: Channel imbalance with the in-line volume controls on both cables. My mic cable has channel imbalance to the right at max volume setting (so I have to use it a quarter of a turn from max volume), while the cable without mic has channel imbalance to the left through-out the range except at max volume. I would strongly recommend to ditch the inline volume control and mute button for the non-mic cable, and just keep the mute button with the mic cable.

The drivers seem and the cup look to have good potential. I would want to source for 2.5mm plug cables to use with the Erupt to experience its full potential. Does anyone know if the cables meant for HD700 would work on the Erupt?

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #326 of 403
I agree in-line volume controls are always bad why do they use them ?? I bet they don't even know why. I've never seen that bad idea work over the many pairs I own..

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #327 of 403
No unless you mod them. The cable needs a specific pinout that is not common.

Thank you for the diagram. I shall buy some 2.5mm plugs and make my own cable then.

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #328 of 403
Finally got my Vokyls. Here's some quick impressions:

Machining is really top notch, the headset itself feels very high quality, better than you expect when you pick them up, they look rather heavy but feels rather light on the head, cups feel quite huge on the head. Grip is somewhat on the lighter side, personally I had preferred slightly firmer grip. Pretty comfortable out of the box but I expect it to get better with time when the pads settle in a bit.

Sound testing:

Initially I thought, what a weird soundstage, is it really supposed to be like this? Sounded like it was very stereo'ish with very little center imaging. Pretty low-mid focused, a bit muddy.

Turns out the mic + cable combination didn't work well with my desktop computer that has separate mic + 3.5 mm jack. With the mic-less cable it sounds a bit better, more natural soundstaging and a bit crispier sound (with the perforated pads, I won't probably test the others based on comments). Somewhat bass-heavy but pretty good punchiness & weight. Still a bit low-mid focused "boxy" sounding. The highs are neither very dull or overly crisp sounding, the mids sounds like there's a bit of a dip, female vocals sound somewhat in the background but decent quality, just not very up-front.

Could have included a in-line controller-less cable for sure, bet that would probably improve it some 10% further, don't have a suitable other cable to test unfortunately.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #330 of 403
A lot of crickets in here, I see. . . :worried:

Mine(#981) have not arrived/shipped yet, and it looks like the highest shipped so far is about #614.

How come there are no official reviews for this thing here by now..? Are reviews not allowed until the backer campaign has finally finished?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back