Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #152 of 4,830
Direct comparisons between Hyperion and delta ? Does the delta 4x better than the Hyperion or at least 2x? I'm having dilemma between these two, since I only like the smooth filter , based on what I read from the review so far...

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #153 of 4,830
Direct comparisons between Hyperion and delta ? Does the delta 4x better than the Hyperion or at least 2x? I'm having dilemma between these two, since I only like the smooth filter , based on what I read from the review so far...

I don't think any IEM I know x4 times the price of another is 4x better, that would make this hobby far too simplified wouldn't it. Lord help us we find such saviour being able to walk away from audio upgrades once and for all.

Now, x2 times better we could relate too, especially when it comes to detail and refinement which Delta has covered over Hyperion. If you like brighter sound signature Hyperion is still a fine specimen, but Delta is more sophisticated in most areas.

Each one of the products punch above their allocated retail price, and especially KS prices. That's the entire concept of Trinity Enginering, to offer high class sound at affordable prices.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #155 of 4,830

DELTA REVIEW

​
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images

INTRODUCTION

For those who haven’t heard yet, Trinity Audio Engineering (from this point we’ll just call them “Trinity”) is a new company, based in the UK, who is about to come to market with 3 brand new IEMs.  Trinity is the brainchild of the main designer from RockJaw UK (you know him on the forums as RockBob). Bob is starting the new company with RockJaw’s blessing, and as I understand it, the whole reason for the new company is simply so that Bob can pursue his dream to build a range of IEMs purely to his specification. He will also continue to work and design for RockJaw.

The underlying vision and philosophy behind Trinity is that high quality audio should be affordable to everyone – and without compromising on build or materials.  And just because it is high quality – it shouldn’t mean it has to be high cost.

So in the last few months, Bob has been working behind the scenes on his new product line, and along the way has enlisted the help of Mark2410, H20fidelity, and myself, to help him with feedback on what we’ve liked and didn’t like along the design process. One thing I really appreciate with a company like Trinity, and a designer like Bob, is the willingness to involve his consumers in some of the design decisions, so that the end result is (hopefully) exactly what the target audience is looking for.

I count myself incredibly lucky to have been approached to work with Bob on this project – via email, PM and phone – and must admit a little personal pride in what Trinity have achieved. So without further comment – let’s have a look at the Delta – the current ‘flagship’ and only hybrid of the new entrants to the Trinity range.

DISCLAIMER

I was provided the Delta by Trinity as part of development and for final review of the end product.  Apart from my obvious involvement in feedback on the development, I am not otherwise affiliated with Trinity in any way, nor do I make any financial gain from my contributions.

PREAMBLE - 'ABOUT ME'.   (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 48 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile – I just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (Fiio X5, X3ii, X1 and iPhone 5S) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  I also use a portable set-up at work – either X5/X3ii > HP, or PC > Beyer A200p > HP.  My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Beyer T1 and Sennheiser HD600.  Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs - and up till now it has mainly been with the Fidue A83, Dunu Titan and Altone200. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-Fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I generally tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced, but I do have a fondness for clarity, and suspect I might have slight ‘treble-head’ preferences.  I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the T1 and DT880.

I have extensively tested myself (abx) and I find aac256 or higher to be completely transparent.  I do use exclusively redbook 16/44.1 if space is not an issue.  All of my music is legally purchased (mostly CD – the rest FLAC purchased on-line).

I tend to be sceptical about audiophile ‘claims’, don’t generally believe in burn-in, have never heard a difference with different cables, and would rather test myself blind on perceived differences.  I am not a ‘golden eared listener’.  I suffer from mild tinnitus, and at 48, my hearing is less than perfect.

For the purposes of this review - I mainly used the Delta straight from the headphone-out socket of my Fiio X3ii, and also used (at different times) my iPhone 5S, and Beyer A200p when at work.  Although I tested them with an amplifier, I do not think they benefit from additional amplification.  In the time I have spent with the Delta, I have noticed a slight change in the overall sonic presentation, but am aware that this is simply that I am becoming more used to the signature of the Delta as I use them more often (brain burn-in).

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

THE REVIEW

The Delta I am reviewing today is essentially a prototype – but Bob has said that any further changes will be purely cosmetic rather than sonic. As such I do not have complete packaging and accessory information, but I will share with you what I do know, and I can update any missing detail as it comes to light.

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES          

The review sample I have did not come with packaging, and the accessory package is not finalised, so at this stage I’ll show you what it “should” come with.

So for a start I’ll show you the packaging I’ve seen from an early Delta we sampled – which should be roughly similar to what is being used for the final release. The box is likely to be a “book-style” (fold out top cover) in a grayish slate type design with the name and simple statement about the product on the front cover, and specifications and other details on the rear.

Delta front of box (provisional)
Delta rear of box (provisional)
Delta box in profile (provisional)

Opening the front flap will reveal a foam inner with appropriate cut-outs to house the Delta, carry case, provided tips, and filters.

The accessory package at this stage includes the carry case, 4 sets of silicone filters (1 pr small, 2 pr medium and 1 pr large), the filters (3), and Bob confirmed they will also provide 2 pairs of foams (M, L) and 1 pair of double flange silicone.

Proposed boc interior
First opening of carry case
Case, filter tube, tips and the Delta

The Trinity standard case is a nice rich red colour, has an internal mesh pouch for tips etc, is triangular shaped, and zips to open/close.  It is very spacious, has a good mix of both flexibility and strength – so it is comfortably to pocket, but still protects your IEMs really well.

The carry case
Silicone tips - foams and double flange will also be included
Silicone tips - foams and double flange will also be included

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

(From Trinity)
Type
Hybrid BA + 8mm Dynamic Driver
Frequency Range
19 Hz – 21 Khz
Impedance
16 ohm
Sensitivity
110 +/-3dB @ 1kHz 1mW
Plug
3.5mm gold plated, straight jack
Cable
1.2m – OFC
Weight
Approx 16g with tips in place
IEM Shell
CNC polished aluminium

FREQUENCY GRAPH

At the time of writing, I’m waiting for frequency response graphs from Bob, but just for a bit of fun, I’ve composed my own measurements using my trusty SPL meter. I used A-weighting in a quiet environment.  While I was at it, I checked for channel matching using 500, 1000, and 5000 Hz tones, and both earpieces were within 0.1 dB on my system for all 3 readings (just like the Hyperion). Again very impressive.

Silver filter
Hz
60 Hz
80 Hz
100 Hz
150 Hz
200 Hz
250 Hz
300 Hz
400 Hz
500 Hz
600 Hz
700 Hz
800 Hz
900 Hz
dB
Hz
1 kHz
2 kHz
3 kHz
4 kHz
5 kHz
6 kHz
7 kHz
8 kHz
10 kHz
12 kHz
14 kHz
16 kHz
20 kHz
dB

Black Filter
Hz
60 Hz
80 Hz
100 Hz
150 Hz
200 Hz
250 Hz
300 Hz
400 Hz
500 Hz
600 Hz
700 Hz
800 Hz
900 Hz
dB
Hz
1 kHz
2 kHz
3 kHz
4 kHz
5 kHz
6 kHz
7 kHz
8 kHz
10 kHz
12 kHz
14 kHz
16 kHz
20 kHz
dB

Champagne Filter
Hz
60 Hz
80 Hz
100 Hz
150 Hz
200 Hz
250 Hz
300 Hz
400 Hz
500 Hz
600 Hz
700 Hz
800 Hz
900 Hz
dB
Hz
1 kHz
2 kHz
3 kHz
4 kHz
5 kHz
6 kHz
7 kHz
8 kHz
10 kHz
12 kHz
14 kHz
16 kHz
20 kHz
dB

Couple of points to note – the champagne filter does have visible acoustic dampening – which could explain the lower readings throughout the spectrum. All 3 were taken without touching the volume pot.

Also – the bass on the gun-metal filter shows slightly higher under A-weighting, but I later switched to C and just measured the bass frequencies.  The Silver filter showed more bass than either of the other two filters – especially in the sub-bass frequencies.

BUILD QUALITY / DESIGN

The Delta is once again a very good looking IEM, featuring a beautiful polished gun-metal aluminium housing.  At the rear of the housing is a single vent for the dynamic driver (adjacent to the cable exit). The Delta is approximately 11-12 mm in circumference, and 14-15mm long with filters removed, or 20mm long with filters in place.  The mathematicians among you will be able to work out that the exposed filter measures approx. 5mm long.  It has a slight bevel at the end (making it easier to get tips on), and has a generous lip to make sure they stay on.  In terms of width of the nozzle – again my new T400 Comply tips fit well (tight – but firm). On my prototype sample there is no L/R markings – but these definitely should be in place for the finished product.

Delta body - CNC aluminium
Rear port
Filter intact

The Delta comes with three screw in filter options, which I’ll go into more detail regarding sonics later in the review. The filters look to be very well made and fit my unit extremely well.

The strain relief at the housing is flexible and appears reasonable strong.  Bob has informed me that the final model will have both sturdier exit reliefs, and these will also be colour coded for easy L/R identification. The Y-split is a really nice looking aluminium tube, a really good strain relief at the bottom.  The jack is gold plated, and both spring loaded and also covered with Trinity’s heat shrink, so plenty of protection.  Again – personally I’d prefer a right angle jack – but this is built to last and there should be no issues long term.

Filter from the front
Chamber with filter removed
The chassis only

The cable is the same as the one used on the Hyperion and is gorgeous. The cable consists of 4 OFC wires – both sets of two tight woven into a spring like weave. These two weaves are then woven again together below the Y-split. The end result is an extremely flexible, and gorgeous looking cable with virtually no memory.  The weave also gives it strength.  So far in my testing (over-ear), cable noise is minimal – unless it comes into contact with a rough surface (zipper etc).  My model does not have a cinch – but the final release will have.  The cable can be slightly tangle prone – but careful winding and storage solves that easily.

Gold plated jack
Y split
The gorgeous Trinity cable

So again for me, the build quality and attention to detail is top notch, and befitting the top end of the Trinity line.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION

I have one ear canal slightly different to the other one (my right is very slightly smaller) - so I tend to find that usually single silicon flanges don't fit overly well.  I initially tried the included large silicones and I couldn’t get a consistently decent fit or seal. Like my experience with the Hyperion - not Trinity’s fault – just my weird ears. I next tried Sony Isolation tips, and they sealed beautifully, were very comfortable, and showed no signs of driver flex, or pressure issues at all. The nozzle for the Delta is almost slightly too large for the Sony tips (they do fit – but I have to force them), so I next tried my trusty Comply tips – and for my particular tastes – the T400 sport were ideal.

Isolation with the Delta is average for a hybrid containing a vented dynamic driver.  With music playing you’re isolated pretty well.

Bob's professional Delta photos

Comfort is excellent – and once again they are very light, so that I hardly feel that I’m wearing them.  With their relatively short length, they stay inserted without protruding past my outer ear, and it is easy for me to lie down or sleep whilst wearing them.  The cable is very soft, and extremely comfortable in my preferred over-ear position.

The Delta looks good, and likes its sibling (the Hyperion) has a fantastic build.  Let’s have a look at the filters, and then move onto sonic impressions.

DELTA FILTER SYSTEM

The Delta comes with three exchangeable filters to allow you to tailor the sound to your preference. Whenever I’ve tried most other IEMs with filters, they’ve often just been bass+ / “neutral” / treble+, and depending on the flavour of the “neutral”, sometimes this has been very hit or miss.

The Delta is a bit different in this regard, and we even had a discussion on how to name the filters because they were so different. So here is my take on the three included filters:
  1. Silver = “fun”
  2. Gun metal = “smooth”
  3. Champagne = “vivid”

Filters and storage cylinder
Silver (fun), champagne (vivid) and gun metal (smooth)
Silver (fun), champagne (vivid) and gun metal (smooth)

The silver “fun” filter is the only one with nothing in the chamber, and no vent. What this filter appears to do is raise both sub-bass and also the upper mid-range and treble response. So it basically creates a more V shaped signature.  I’m not usually a huge bass lover – but I really like this filter. Not only does it give a lot more life in the bottom end – and it can really thump – it also lifts the clarity a notch.  Too many bass filters make the overall sound very warm and quite dark.  The silver filter just adds slam and clarity.  It’s an intoxicating combo – and when you need a lift sometimes, it has the ability to just pick you up and put a huge grin on your face. Thumbs up from me for this one.

The gun metal "smooth" filter is really the default or reference filter. It has a micro vent, and a membrane to give its particular tuning. I call it smooth – because to me that’s exactly what it delivers – beautiful smooth sound.  It is definitely the most balanced of the three filters, and while the sub bass is there – it doesn’t over-power. Nor is there a massive mid-bass hump, but there is enough mid-bass and lower mid-range IMO to sound really natural.  I once commented to Bob that I thought the black filter almost had an HD600 tonality about it. Of course it can’t come close to the timbre and truly natural sonics of the legendary HD600 – but it does deliver a lovely clear, smooth, liquid sound. It’s the sort of sound I can listen to for hours, and although it didn’t wow me at first, it has rapidly become my favourite filter, and one of the most favourite IEMs I own (more on that during the comparisons). If you’ve read my reviews before, you’ll know I tend toward slightly brighter IEMs – and with the “smooth” filter you actually get clarity without being overly bright. But I don’t reach for the EQ with this one. It’s perfect without the hyper clarity. With the tuning of the Delta this is one of the best IEMs I’ve heard to date for long term relaxed listening.

The third filter I’ve called “vivid”, and it’s the only one of the three I don’t tend to listen to a lot. I do think it’s necessary to round out the range – but it’s just not my ideal tuning. The champagne filter has both a vent and acoustic dampening. The biggest change is that a lot of both sub and mid bass has been attenuated – so you are left with more mid-range and treble. The nice thing about this filter though is that the way it’s tuned the treble isn’t overdone at all.  It gives you a very light, but very clear and “vivid” presentation.  Personally I like a little more bass than this filter delivers – but anyone preferring a lighter overall sound will enjoy this filter.

All three filters simply screw off the main body, then screw easily back on again. Possibly the only thing that I’d change would be the addition of a small rubber washer just to make tightening and loosening a little more secure.
The spare filters are housed in a clever little aluminium tube with a screw on cap.  This is brilliant as the tube fits neatly in the case so that your filters are always with you – and the tube should be big enough so that it won’t get easily lost.

The implementation of the filters on Delta is amongst the best (if not the best) I’ve experienced so far.

SOUND QUALITY

The following is what I hear from the Trinity Delta.  YMMV – and probably will – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline).  Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done with my Fiio X3ii as source, the gunmetal “smooth” filter in place, and Comply T400 sport tips.

Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

I’ve also shortened the genre section a little so that I could spend more time on comparisons – as that seems to be what a lot of people have asked for (on the forums and via PM).

Thoughts on Default Signature
I mentioned earlier, my immediate impression listening to the Delta with the “smooth” filter the first time was like listening to my HD600. The sound is natural, effortless, clear, and velvety without losing any clarity.

One of the things I love about it is the natural progression from bass through lower and upper mids and into the lower treble. It extends pretty well into the sub-bass, and I tested this by using a calibrated 1 kHz test tone at 70 dB, and then switching the same volume to 25 Hz – easily heard, even with my “aged” ears. In the upper end, it’s detailed and clear – but not brash or in your face like some of my other IEMs. Now some may want a little more shimmer – but the funny thing is that I don’t with this IEM (and that is really weird considering my normal tastes).  I know there is roll-off in the upper treble yet despite sounding smooth, the Delta also manages effortless detail. I’m not sure how he achieves it – but I do know I like it.

Overall Detail / Clarity
Nothing missing with “Gaucho” or “Sultans of Swing”- good balance, great tonality and dynamism. There is crunch to the guitar, shimmer on the cymbals, timbre in the bass guitar. Bass is well defined. Overall cohesion is excellent.

Sound-stage & Imaging
Much better sense of space than the Hyperion and the imaging during Tundra is really clean, clear and well defined. It’s not hugely “out of head” with this binaural track – but it’s far enough not to qualify as intimate. With McKennitt’s “Dante’s Prayer”, the presentation was stunning – so natural, smooth yet compelling at the same time.  The tonality of piano and cello was gorgeous. With the applause at the end, it was more width than depth – but I was in the audience which is very good for an IEM.

Side note too - Amanda Marshall’s “Let It Rain” – wonderful. Holographic, but so natural sounding too – in a word – magical.

Bass Quality and Quantity
Goes low (we discussed this above), and has very good impact with “Bleeding Muddy Waters” by Mark Lanegan.  No mushiness or imbalance in the overall bass cohesion. Mark’s voice had great timbre, and the gravel really came though well.  Lorde’s “Royals” took the Delta impressively low and had great impact. Ella’s vocals were clear, well defined, and euphoric.

Female Vocals
Tick, tick, tick – euphonic, no stridency, no noticeable sibilance. Agnes Obel was dreamy (and that cello tone!), London Grammar was clean, clear and perfect (Hannah - release another album please!), and it didn’t matter what I played – each track eminently enjoyable. Cilmi’s “Safer” once again gave me chills & Norah was sublime (like she was singing just to me). If you get the chance, check out Lianne La Havas – on the Delta she is amazing.

Male Vocals
Dynamic, clear, balanced, but also delivering vigorous punch and very good guitar attack. Acoustic is brilliant. Even older stuff like 10CC and Jethro had zest. Vocal quality is outstanding and this is one of the few IEMs I’ve heard which does both male and female vocals really well (like the DUNU 2000 for instance). There is something about the tonality with most instruments as well – really cohesive – really involving, but no sign of harshness or grit.

My litmus test is always Pearl Jam. In a word – perfect. All the detail is there, but best of all I can hear the emotion in Vedder’s voice. I’m finding it hard to listen critically at this point.  Too easy to egt lost in the music with the Deltas.

Genre Specific Notes
Not going to bore you with this section – except to say that the Delta just kept knocking everything out of the park. I’d list the strongpoints, but there were too many.  What the Delta does is portray everything with realism. Tonally I find it magical – especially with well recorded Jazz (Portico Quartet and Miles both shone), and Blues (Bonamassa’s live performances were enthralling). Even EDM and Rap were very good – purists might want a bit more bass, but if you do, simply swap for the silver filter.

I could listen to Indie on the Deltas for hours – again the tonality just seems to hit a spot. And Wildlight’s “Dawn to Flight” for some strange reason was actually better than the Altones normally deliver it!

Classical was light, lively, enthralling – very different from my experience with the Hyperions.  The standout though was Netrebko & Garanca’s duet from Lakme. Soaring vocals – but never peaky, and a real sense of space
again.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The Delta is again easily powered straight out of the portable devices I have, and I haven’t experienced any issues with the iPhone 5S, or any of the Fiio Daps. With typical pop/rock songs on the iP5S I’m usually at a volume level of around 40%, on the X3ii around 40-50/120.  Again, I did try amping with the E11K, but noticed no obvious signs of improvement.

EQUALISATION

Didn’t try, doesn’t need it – and if you do, change the filters first.

COMPARISONS

OK – this is the section I was asked about a lot – and this is very subjective. Comparison was once again with the X3ii, gun-metal filter, and Comply tips.  All IEMs were volume matched with a 1 kHz tone and using a proper SPL meter.

Small note though – I’ve been using the Delta a lot in the last 3 days, so I am very used to its signature – more so than some of the IEMs I’ve put it up against tonight.  I also am getting over a dose of influenza, so my ears are unlikely to be 100% (are they ever?). Please take this into account when trying to assimilate my thoughts.

1. Vs Altone200
    Altone is clearly brighter, and bassier, detail is a lot more apparent. Very much more in your face and vivid. Delta still has plenty of detail, but somehow sounds cleaner.  There is more distance and space, and far more balance. Male vocals sound natural – where on the Altone, they are slightly contrived.  Both do female vocals well – but I’m leaning toward Delta as being the more enjoyable of the two. If you prefer V shaped, and leaning toward upper mids than lower – then the Altone is still king.  If you want more balance and realism, the Delta nails it. My preference – Delta (by quite a bit actually).

2. Vs Fidue A83
    This is a lot closer. The Fidues again are bassier, but show a lot more balance than the Altones. The do show more overall detail and have a very vivid presentation.  Deltas still show more distance and separation, and clearly have less grain – despite the slightly lower resolution. Deltas also continue to show a more natural tonality. Another thing I noticed – personally they are more comfortable to wear. The A83 have been my go to for a long time now – they are wonderful earphones, but at this point for my personal tastes, I’m leaning toward the more natural tone of the Delta as preferable to the more vivid tone of the Fidue.  I wasn’t expecting this.

3. Vs DUNU Titan
    Tonality is very similar – surprising as I would have expected the Titan to be a lot brighter than the Delta, and it isn’t. Titan has a bit more mid bass, and might be slightly brighter in the lower treble, where I think the Delta might have a little more upper mid-range. Titan has a slight bit more overall space – but it’s not as much (again) as I’d expect. Vocals are slightly further back on quite a few tracks, where the Delta brings them closer. Titan also has more apparent sub-bass presentation (Lorde Royals)  - and shows its slight V, where the Delta remains very balanced. Hard to pick a preference with these two – but for similar price, the ability to go over-ear, change filters, and the better cable – I’d just about give the nod to Delta.

4. Vs Havi B3 Pro1
    I know there is a bit of a price difference here, but I know it will be asked – so …… Havi is comparatively thin.  Both sound pretty balanced.  Delta sounds cleaner, clearer. Havi struggles a bit on sub-bass where it is more easily heard on the Delta. Havi still has that wider stage, but Delta has the ability to portray a more believable stage (if that makes sense). Although both have a good sense of balance, the Delta sounds a lot more natural, and that plus the overall refinement makes it for me.  The Havi puts up a good fight though.

5. Vs Alclair Curve
    This one really isn’t fair – because I’ve only had the Curve for 3 days and hardly have had a chance to listen to them so far. The Curve is warmer, bassier.  Both are very smooth, and also quite refined – especially in the vocals. Delta is a more natural sound. On comfort – the Curve by a long shot though – easily the most comfortable IEM I’ve ever worn. I won’t pick a preference on this as it’s not fair on the Curve. But the Delta is still probably closer to my default preference as far as sound goes.

VALUE

Indications we have from Bob is that the Delta (after initial launch) will retail at around £90.00/ $135.00 USD (at today’s rates).  This makes it very good value – given (for my tastes) it is on virtually equal footing (or better) than some triple hybrids at much higher pricing.

At the KickStarter introductory price of £60.00/ $90.00 USD, this is daylight robbery, and Trinity is the victim. Don’t stop – go buy one now.  You can thank me for it later.

DELTA - SUMMARY

Once again, I’ve pretty much covered everything above, but I’ll try to boil it down into a short summary.

The Trinity Delta is the best tuned dual driver earphone I’ve heard to date, and I’d even go so far as to say that it sits up there in SQ with a lot of the triple driver earphones I’ve heard.

It’s playing in a crowded price bracket though – but when you look at what Trinity offers with the Delta, it’s hard not to admire the overall package.

You get the Trinity build promise (quality throughout), with aluminium shells, a fantastic cable, and a really nice filter system that breaks the mould on most typical filter systems I’ve seen. You also get SQ that is balanced, or flavoured, depending on your choice of filter – but more importantly is refined, and (with the “smooth” filter) very natural and non-fatiguing.

The Delta is an easy recommendation due to all of the above – and is now most often the IEM I reach for when I want relaxation (away from the reviews).  The fact that you can pick one up on KS at the moment for under $100 USD makes it possible the best value you may see this year.

I’ve already backed the campaign – and my review should show how much I like the Delta.  5 stars from me. I’d give it 6 if I could.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #158 of 4,830
Hmm Delta at $90 as backer, I'm quite tempted. It would be a nice alternative to my Duoza. Much lower profile (can envision sleeping with em sideways), with signature options thanks to the filters. The cable braiding looks amazing. Am I wrong or does the 3.5mm plug looks a bit absurdly long (spring strain relief + shrinkwrap). I ought to ask this in the DIY section, but is there a reason for the shrink wrap on top of the spring strain relief? On the kickstarter page, there's one photo without the shrink wrap, looked very nice with the contrasting black cable.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #159 of 4,830
In your opinion , the Hyperion is similar to which filter ??

Probably closest to the silver filter - a bit more of a V shape than the others.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #160 of 4,830
  Hmm Delta at $90 as backer, I'm quite tempted. It would be a nice alternative to my Duoza. Much lower profile (can envision sleeping with em sideways), with signature options thanks to the filters. The cable braiding looks amazing. Am I wrong or does the 3.5mm plug looks a bit absurdly long (spring strain relief + shrinkwrap). I ought to ask this in the DIY section, but is there a reason for the shrink wrap on top of the spring strain relief? On the kickstarter page, there's one photo without the shrink wrap, looked very nice with the contrasting black cable.

Yep - the original plug looked like this :

And that's how it is underneath.  The shrink is still flexible enough to bend a bit. I actually didn't mind it without the shrink, and my absolute preference would have been for a 90 deg plug, but in all honesty, the plug the way it is currently is OK.  It's definitely very sturdy :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #161 of 4,830

Yep - the original plug looked like this :

And that's how it is underneath.  The shrink is still flexible enough to bend a bit. I actually didn't mind it without the shrink, and my absolute preference would have been for a 90 deg plug, but in all honesty, the plug the way it is currently is OK.  It's definitely very sturdy :)

Yeah I'd prefer an angled plug too, fits the low profile of the Delta itself (and X5). I guess I can't blame them for using the shrink wrap, needs to have the Trinity brand name logo somewhere. Has to be cheaper to paint their brand on a heatshring wrap than laser etch the plugs or splitter casings.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #162 of 4,830
  First review - The Hyperion - also posted in the Hyperion product page

For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images

"The underlying vision and philosophy behind Trinity is that high quality audio should be affordable to everyone – and without compromising on build or materials.  And just because it is high quality – it shouldn’t mean it has to be high cost."

Thoughts on Default Signature
I mentioned earlier, my immediate impression listening to the Hyperion the first time was like listening to the Altone200 – with just a little less heat in the upper mid-range and lower treble, and possibly a little more balance overall.
The other major impression – surprise really – on my first lesson was the really “big sound” I was getting from such a tiny IEM.  I just didn’t expect it. This is the sort of sound I’d expect from a well-tuned dual driver – not a tiny single dynamic!

If I was to describe the Hyperion in a few words, it would be “vivid”, “detailed”, “alive” – yet at the same time, it has its own refinement and balance.  When I first heard the Hyperion I was sure there was a slight V shape – and I guess there still is – but it doesn’t seem out of place (and for someone who like’s overall balance, that is really saying something).  The Hyperion seems to strike a very good match between detail and balance.

Bass Quality and Quantity
I’ve been spoilt recently with impactful and good quality bass from some of my other hybrid IEMs (Altone 200, DN-1000 and A83), and looking at the tiny Hyperion you’d be forgiven for thinking that it might be weak in this area. As I mentioned earlier though, the Hyperion sounded a little like the Altone200 to me from day one – and it is in the sub-bass, bass, and lower mid-range where this really exhibits itself.

The bass on the Hyperion reaches impressively low (even with my hearing, I could easily hear 25Hz). The bass is pretty agile and well defined, and I’ve noticed no real mid-bass bloom, maybe just a little mid-bass hump on some tracks where big hits can get a little boomy. But overall, bass impact, texture and speed so far have been very good.

HYPERION - SUMMARY

I’ve pretty much covered everything above, but I’ll try to boil it down into a short summary.

The Trinity Hyperion has no right to be aiming for the price point it is currently being targeted at, and will be a real wake up call for many manufacturers.  There are some great sounding IEMs in this bracket – but I am yet to see an IEM with this level of sound, and of build, and of quality (remember the driver matching!)

You’d be forgiven (looking at its diminutive size) for assuming this is simply another budget offering – but when you look at the total package, you realise how much you are getting. Fully aluminium shell, a cable that you’d normally only find on much higher level IEMs, and SQ that just continues to shine no matter what the genre. They also seem to respond well to EQ – so you can further fine tune them to your liking if desired. The biggest shock for me was the first time I listened to them – how could a sound this “big” be coming from something so tiny?  It still stuns me.

Would I recommend these to my friends and family – unequivocally yes! In fact I’ll be telling them all about the Kickstarter campaign soon to be launched. At its current RRP it’s already a steal.  At the discount that is going to be offered to early adopters (Bob tells me it is likely to be £20.00/ $30.00 USD), it is one you simply can’t turn down. I’ll be one of the first in line for the Hyperion – I’ll be getting 3 of them as Christmas gifts for my immediate family. At this price it would be a crime not to.

I looked back over my reviews to date - and I've only ever given three 5 start ratings - the HD600, the A83 and the Titan.  The Hyperion joins the 5 start brigade because of what it delivers for such a low cost.  It isn't going to match higher end offerings for outright resolution - but I can't think of any other current IEM that delivers this much for so little.

Trinity’s mission was to make high quality audio affordable to everyone – mission accomplished with the Hyperion.

Thanks a lot for the review!

I agree with the philosophy!  I always interested to sub $100 great sounding IEM. Hyperion sounds like a must try and a must have great affordable IEM 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #163 of 4,830

​

KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN

This is now underway - and can be found here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/157887895/trinity-audio-engineering-audiophile-grade-in-ear

A quick question regarding the campaign, the 'EARLY BIRD + FRIEND Hyperion' option is for 2 units of Hyperion right?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back